Buying a 400$ electric guitar !!Help !!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by gunnerwholelife, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

The godin freeway classic or the redline didnt work for me, the maple and poplar was a weird combination and anyway poplar isnt a good tonewood.

I know i sound like a PRS salesman or something but the thing is you are comparing a completely different guitar to a completely different one it is like you say i played an ibanez acoustic and didnt like its tone so i'm not going to consider any ibanez electric either. It is just that i want you to consider some alternative to that locking bridge. I bought an ibanez s570b last month and i already know i'm going to buy a hardtail guitar sooner or later as a backup, not that it isnt great it is awesome and i dont regret a bit but then trying out altered tunings, tuning half step down are a big hassle. Then again i found that even joe satriani and steve vai and others rely on whammy pedals to get that sound. It is just that sometimes we get clouded when we see some new thing and we feel like we ought to have it but it isnt really necessary. Do you know about non locking tremolo's? Have you tried some guitars with non locking trems?

Not to sound rude but did you actually play a paul allender signature or was some other? PRS Guitars | SE Paul Allender Specs cause the specs here are completely different, it has active pickups. You cannot get more metal than active pickups. Plus it has 24 frets.

2. Vader

Vader New Member

I guess these arent hardtails?
    and yeh some kids have issues with Godin pups...
    Maple fretboard doesnt work for me but thats my issue i guess
    so Maple-Poplar body could be yours? just a thought no offence... :)

Are you talking to me?

@thread starter
    Stick to what you are comfortable with
    The fact remains that
    Whatever you read...
    whatever people tell you...
    no two players are the same
    Everyone has preferences
    Forums are just here to let you know what you are buying
    also dont buy a sucky amp after all this research on a guitar....

3. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

No i was talking to the OP. I have been along the same road not too long back, so i was just offering my advice based on my experience. I just dont want him posting another thread a few months down asking how can i block the trem, because i have seen countless number of people do this, all with different tastes. I just wanted to make him aware what problems others faced, what problems i am facing. But the end decision is his. Lets end discussion right here.

Lets move on to the amp. Get a peavey vypyr 30 if you can, because it has the option for connecting a foot pedal to it so if you want to play live in the future you can buy the sanpera pedal.

4. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Yeah i dont like the overly bright sound of maple, the lows are not there on it. And Poplar is bad for resonance because of its tiny pores and low density. But i think 70% percent of the guitarists think the same way. Maple is usually used in the neck or a top to add some brightness to mahogany bodies.

5. gunnerwholelife

gunnerwholelife New Member

Ayu bro I am going overbudget with my guitar.

Havent tried peavey vypr series not available anywhere . . .

Should I blindly get it?
    15w is all I can afford :/

6. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Hahaha welcome to the club, i started out with a budget of 30k for the guitar and amplifier and in the end i ended up spending almost 60k it is that quality always comes at a price.

i think the 15 is sufficient for home practice but if you want to play in a band situation the drummer will drown you out. Moreover it doesnt have the stompboxes and neither can you use a foot pedal. So if you know you arent going to use it live or in a band go ahead and buy the 15.

If it is not available here go to singapore and try it there, just make sure that the shop you are visiting has it in stock. When i bought it i had called up musicians mall and asked them to bring a vypyr specially for me, i had called them a week in advance. Also i had clearly stated that i may not buy the amp if i dont like it but they had one for me when i visited mumbai. Try the same with the shops you plan to buy from. Call them beforehand and ask if they have the models of guitars and amps you are considering, also ask them if they can bring it for you but remember some may force you to buy the product if they specially order it for you so make that clear beforehand. Also have you considered customs because the guitar and amp arent exactly small items that may go unnoticed.

7. Vader

Vader New Member

hmmm vypyr 15 is good too
    you can get a orange crush 30R which is loud as hell!
    but peavey vypyrs are better for hard core metal...
    then again i would never buy anything *blindly* without testing it myself first...

8. vendettarevived

vendettarevived New Member

9. gunnerwholelife

Ty bro but I have decided s570 :p

10. vendettarevived

vendettarevived New Member

Good for you then mate. :) I was just giving you another one to *try*, as I believe one should try everything in their price range before buying. Good luck with what you're set on though. May it treat you well!

11. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

Dude one more thing, the cr250 sounds almost as good as 2000$ gibson. So....

12. Vader

Vader New Member

have you played a $2000 Gibson?

13. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

when did u think people here advised by playing a guitar??
    there are very less people who do that

14. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I always advise guitars i have personally tried. And frankly youtube videos arent the best place to decide what guitar to buy.

Vader likes this.
  15. gunnerwholelife

Cant wait for Ibanez ty ayu !!

Also should I get the amp from abroad?
    I may get caught in customs with that huge box :s

Here peavey is for 9.8k
    There's its 5k

16. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

The guitar isnt exactly small either. They will notice it anyway.

17. gunnerwholelife

But guitar can be said as a personal belonging.
    Even though its big.

I will get the amp from here.
    I am getting laney for 5k here :S [wasnt dat bad]
    You sure you want me to get peavey ?

18. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

What can i say in the end choice is your to make. But make sure to get a nice hardshell case for the guitar because the baggage handling is not good they treat everything like shit and make sure to put multiple fragile stickers on it. If you can tell that the guitar is personal baggage tell them how i can play the guitar without the amp hence the amp. Just dont make it too obvious that the guitar and amp is new. I cant say for sure though cause different airport customs officials act differently. Just try the vypyr there if you think it is better than the laney buy it. Also did you try the amps you mentioned with the Ibanez S570? Different guitars may sound drastically different on the same amp.

Best of luck on your purchases, you have enough knowledge now. Try out and buy what feels right to you. But make sure to try the guitar on the amp you wish to buy. And also test out the guitar for minimum 30 minutes before buying, try out each and every feature on the guitar and the amp give the whammy bar a good workout and see if it stays in tune. Try playing standing up and see how it feels. That said invest in a decent strap with locking mechanism or better get strap locks installed. Buy a comfortable strap. And also buy a good quality cable as that plays a major role too. See if there is any noise etc from the cable especially on high gain settings at higher volumes. Crank the amp atleast once to its max volume and see how loud it gets and that that the tone is good even at high volumes. And lastly get the guitar setup to your liking before you leave the store.

19. Vader

Vader New Member

i really did...
    because thats what i always do...

20. Vader

Vader New Member

plus 1
    i think there is no point dragging this thread
    enough has been told