buy a cheap guitar and get a good pickup the quality of sound will improve

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambuj, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

Is it true that if I buy a cheap guitar and get a good pickup the quality of sound will improve?
    Also, can someone provide information on some pickup configurations and how they affect the sound(S-S-S, S-S-H, etc.)
    I'm right now looking for the most economical option to buy a good electric guitar

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

dude, first principle ...
    economics and good guitar dont go hand in hand ...

u can try out cheap (economical guitar) which gives good sound and is good ... but thats your luck ... not the guitar ...

ideally speaking pickups are more important to electric guitar sound than the body ...

3. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

It may sound bit better. But you're better off buying a better electric guitar that a ****ty one with good pickups.

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Well a cheap guitar will probably be of let's say less than good quality. Putting good pickups will definitely improve the guitar but only to an extent.

S-S-S combination is the same as on that of a strat and many people have used strats as their main guitar like Hendrix,Stevie Ray vaughan, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton. In general they are good for rhythm and for leads that need good tone and less gain(distortion).

H-S-H combo is good for lead work and will work well with distortion. They will also give a guitar that'll be good for rhythm. This is a grat guitar for Rock.

H-H This is the ideal guitar for Metal and Hard Rock. The Humbuckers are great for high gain sounds and they are pretty warm too.]

A decent guitar would be a guitar with H-S-H combo (you'll come to love this)

You'd be better off getting a decent guitar for like 10k (like Gb&A) than going for a cheap guitar and changing the pickups.

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

buy a GIVSON BLUE DIAMOND itz got an s-s-h
    soundz gud 4 rs 3500

6. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

well.. my dad is unwilling to stretch the budget beyond 10,000(which includes guitar, amps, processor)... so i might have to drop the processor for now and settle for a low end guitar and stranger or something :cry2: ... anyone got any ideas?

7. Genesis

Genesis New Member

The pickups are important, but a lot depends on the body... For eg, if u put Les Paul pickups in a Strat, you won't get the same sound... I suggest u don't buy the pickups until u get a decent guitar.. For the time being, find something that fits ur budget.

8. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

^^ambuj kidnap ur dad and extract some money frm ur family :cool:

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

go secondhand....

guit for 8k and second hand amp for 2k...

screw the processor right now...

no matter wat happens dont get a givsen!!! kill urself but dont get that crappy piece of crap.

which city u in?

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

dudeeee...the shape of the guitar contributes to tone a lot,the wood used,the fret board,the wood used in the fret board also affects the sound..
    plz dont say somethin when u are not sure off.

everythin goes hand in hand..
    a right combination is the answer..

goin for a better pick up will defintely improve the sound..but good high end pick ups will cost u.

but since ur budget is already low..y do u wanna go for it?

death drs suggestion is the best out here.
    screw processors for now.

11. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

awright good news! budget's up to 15k(mom's magic) ... so i'm thinking for going for an ibanez with a marshall amp or something... wotsay?

12. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

uhh..

i wouldnt go for a lower end ibanez.

a yamaha pacifica,gb&a strat copy,would be a better choice imo.im not sure abt the pacificas price so wait for someone who knows the exact price.
    gb&a strat copy will be arnd 8-9ks.

marshall mg15cd will be ok..
    hope this helps.

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah..get a pacfica..its the best in that price range.
    And Get a 10 W instead of a 15W marshall if u need to compromise on the money.
    But a Pacifica is oh so better than those GRG's

14. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

In between I had tried a Ibanez GRX,..... this dude had bought it for some 12k,..... it was prety good man!!! But still,... listen to the guys with more experience, just wanted to know,.. y do u guys think a lower end Ibanez suks??

15. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Low end ibanez suck!

Youre better off lucking for 2nd hand mig range ibanez or any other company

16. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

pls. lsiten to me and go secondhand - else blackmamba is selling an epiphone lp in bombay next month... pm him and hope he replies else pm me and ill give u his email address... thats a decent guitar and i think its right there in ur budget... pls. dont go for a grg series.. msot are crap - the only decent one is the mahogany body one for 19k or so....