British nerd Hacks into Pentagon to find Aliens

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

To the United States, he is a seriously dangerous man who put the nation's security at risk by committing "the biggest military computer hack of all time."

ADVERTISEMENT

But Briton Gary McKinnon says he is just an ordinary computer nerd who wanted to find out whether aliens and UFOs exist.

During his two-year quest, McKinnon broke into computers at the Pentagon, NASA and the Johnson Space Center as well as systems used by the U.S. army, navy and air force.

U.S. officials say he caused $700,000 worth of damage and even crippled vital defense systems shortly after the September 11 attacks.

The unemployed computer programmer is now battling extradition to the United States, where, if found guilty, he faces up to 70 years in jail and fines of up to $1.75 million. His lawyer fears he could even be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

It's all a far cry from how he first got into hacking: watching a film about a teenage boy who breaks into a military central computer and almost starts World War Three.

"I had seen the film 'War Games' and I do remember clearly thinking at the time, that's amazing -- a great big military computer system and a young, spotty teenager," the softly spoken 39-year-old told Reuters in an interview.

Source

2. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

oooo
    i wanna be a hacker and take the post of all moderaters~!!!
    lolz

3. jhinga_lala

jhinga_lala New Member

^^ If you are thinking of hacking this site ... it ain't easy (Not that I have tried:grin:) ... vBulletin is one of the most secure, and constantly upgraded forum softwares. Others like phpBB, which is open source are easy targets for hackers, mainly because their developers dont get paid big bucks for patch releases. The vBulletin guys hence charge a lot of money for the software

Coming back to the topic, I believe instead of sending him to jail, why not make use of his knowledge to secure the website. This way they have a chance of beating hackers by using their own tricks.

4. madhuresh

madhuresh madhuresh

Accha.....HAHA

5. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

interesting point. i've heard before that once hackers are caught, a majority of them are lapped up by companies who make them in charge of online security designing.

6. mr singh

mr singh New Member

OK... we all missin sumthing here...
    did he get the answer to his questions?
    DO Aliens Really Exist and What about UFO's?

7. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Er.... isnt this news OLD?