Bringing Guitar from US

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rickkkyrich, Oct 31, 2009.

1. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

My friend is coming from US in December. I am planning to ask him to get an electric guitar for me(model not yet decided). Will it be fine if i order online? Has anybody done something of this sort in past?
    How will he carry the guitar in flight? I guess he cant take it as cabin baggage. Will it be handled carefully? Tell me if anyone has done it before..Please..

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I acquired my guitar the same way. Shouldn't be any trouble.

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

which one do u have?

4. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

One guitar is allowed as cabin baggage in AA...atleast it was like that till last year.

5. thehundredthone

A Washburn WI64D. No longer available.

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Is there any site where we can get Guitars at the cheapest price..in US? i hav seen musiciansfriend and zzsounds... u know some other?

7. thehundredthone

How much cheaper do you want it? Maybe if you send them an email they'll send you over a '59 reissue Gold Top for free.

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

jus wanted to save the extra bucks..

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

guys i'm planning to get ESP LTD KH-202 from US. Heard its a gr8 guitar for metal..

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

The only problem is with the customs dept in INdia :mad:
    If they ship the guitar from US as gift item, it will eventually be caught ... This is why top guitar sites do not ship to India. The only option is, if you have a relative or friend staying in US, he or she can bring one for you with out paying taxes. Carrying one guitar on board is allowed....

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

ya man .. thats wat i'm planning... my friend is comin down from US in december.. but i'm still confused with which guitar to get... :(

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

If you bring a guitar from US, you have lots of choices... You can even go for JS series because tht'll be within ur budget if bought in US...

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

u mean to say S series from Ibanez??

14. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dude JS100 costs around 800$. I cudn't find anythin cheaper on musiciansfriend.. if u have any link.. or tell me the model which suits my budget..

16. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Does it ? :eek::
    Haven't checked yet :p:

17. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

ya man... It's not in my budget... how bout KH-202? its for 469$ .. around 22k ..

18. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

IT's gr8! I guess that has EMG pickup too! Cort EVL K4 is also a very good option... IT should be cheaper than ESP KH202

19. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i dint find Corts on the US website...

20. nandac

nandac New Member

bringin guitar from usa

i have brought *lots* of guitars from the usa.

in my experience :

1. make sure you get it with a hardcase. with a gig bag it is likely to get damaged.
    2. most airlines allow passengers to carry a musical instrument.
    3. when you check in, the airline staff will try to pressure you to check the guitar in. DO NOT. tell them you will carry it in your hand.
    4. in the flight there are three places you can keep the guitar. in the overhead compartment if there is enough space. or the cloak closet in which the airhostess can keep it in. or the space behind the last seat (but sometimes airhostesses will not allow you to keep it there).
    5. there is no customs charge. people are allowed to bring in one musical instrument. but if they ask just say that it cost like 100 dollars.

you don't always have to buy new. check ebay for reputed sellers (with lots of impeccable feedback). you can get a quality used one for a bargain.