Boss GT6/GT8 which one is better ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rechts_234, Jul 14, 2005.

1. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

Boss GT6/GT8 which one is better? I heard there is no drum machine in either of these...?
    Is there any other good processor matching these?

2. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

GT8 of course!!!!!!!!! i mean isnt it the logical thing to say.

I think the Digitech GNX series of pedals are equally good, even the POD Xt live is right up there. But for metal I will always say Zoom Gfx8.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Never liked both. I liked Korg AX100G better. I used to use a Korg AX100G and my other guitarist had a GT6. He was always salivating for mine. We two and a couple of other guys sat and checked out a lot with these two and we all unanimously like the Korg AX100G better. But AX1500G is crap.

Hey Chintan that Marshall AVT is a Super Trebly Amp man.

4. chintan9

@ anand- Oh ok. Anyways the amp was an MG250DFX. I thought it was the AVT series but it wasnt.
    Hey i actually loved the MG250 DFx. I told you how I just couldnt stop playing. It sounded too good.

5. chintan9

And about the Korg AX100g, i had the thing for like 2 years and i hated it. It lacks punch. But my needs and anand's needs are totally different. So u decide.
    The only decent aspect of the processor is the artificial feedbacker which is way too cool.

I wouldnt suggest gigging with it. Especially if u are a metal guitarist looking for a balls out tone.

6. ronnieanand

@Chintan, I plugged into the Marshall Valvestate. I thought it was AVT. There was MG250DX too but I didn't plug into that. This AVT was super trebly. I reduced the treble to almost zero and the bass to almost full and mid to somewhere at 2 o clock. It still was trebly. I guess the tone control was kappoot. Because Bobby played through the same stuff. When I told him this problem, he said he also felt the same. That Peavey is also sad. I guess next time I will plug into the MG250DX.

@Chintan, I dont think AX100G lacks tone or clarity. It doesn't have very heavy distortions. The Metal Distortion and Hi Gain amp modellers were crap. But the overdrives were so good and natural. Much closer to individual pedals. The clarity was something far better. You can gig with it. It's meant till Hard Rock or the 80s Heavy Metal. Cannot go beyond that.

7. chintan9

see thats exactly why i hated ax100G. It suits rock but is sad for metal.

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

see - im using a stranger 40watt amp that makes noise. so i kick my amp. it makes some more noise -so i kick it again - it whimeprs a bit and goes and sits n the corner and then refuses to aply for me -so i decide to go apologise to it and play some soft blues - it lieks that and then i put on some killer distortion and then its back and jumping!! all possible thanks to my korg ax100g!!!

(this was spam)

ok truthfully i like the ax100g bcoz i think its the easiest processor to use without sacrificing funcitonality... the gt8 and gt6 all look too complicated for me ut im guessing its a matter of getting used to... most ppl ive talked to say that the gt6 is more worth it than the gt8 - i dont know either of their prices offhand so i cant comment on value for money...

but all these killer processors are useless without a good amp as described by my little story above... im guessing ur going for a marshall mg250dfx - now pls. note that (against common perception) 250dfx is not 250 watts but 2 x 50 watts - its got two 50 watt channels. - almost any processor will sound good on that....

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey,I have often read that:
    All processors neednt sound good with large powerful amps.. the lower end processors sound good with 20W SS practice amps but once you plug them into the real monster amps..they are not the same..

How true is that??

10. chintan9

True! I agree that the Ax100G is one of the simplest processors around. But is that what one looks for when he/she buys a processor. Personally i would choose tone, versatility, power and price over simplicity.

Also, at times i feel its a total waste setting patches on a stranger or ahuja or whatever, cause the sound on a stranger will be way too different in comparison to a marshall, peavey, etc. You will never be able to gig with those patches.

If u want to set patches go over to a friends place who has a decent amp(mid range marshall or something will do) and do your thing there. But make sure you have 3 to 4 sets of patches cause tweaking is a pain during gigs.

11. deathdr_87

i think the ax100g has decent tone, good versatility etc.. for the perice-- i compared it to the digitech rp80 and thezoom 707 and i found the ax much superioir to the other 2...

also - the whole pionit of a processor is simplicity - not tone and versatility as much as simpliity and price - if ur looknig for killer tone and all ud ahve to go for pedals rather than the processor - the whole point of the processor is to make everything easy.. as in 1 touch -change how u sound... and id much rather use the korg ax 100g than some processor with some 1000 buttons and knobs simply coz it defeats the whole point of using a processor... live u dont want all these million options with these differnt tones etc.. coz if ur palying ata gig - no one gives a **** about tone and all - barely anyone can tell the difference... its jsut that you shjouldnt be runnnig around trying to get to the right thing thanks to the million sof confusing button and mess up wat ur playing - now thats wat gets u screwed at a gig.

@nebu: normally almsot all processors sound good with good amps.... the only prblem is if u have a crappy amp - then almost nothing soudns good with it.....

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The only problem with the 100G is its price..when it was available(discontinued now)..it went for $149...the rp-80 goes for $80..you get a rp-200A for $149 and the 707II goes for around $130...In India I think the prices are:
    100G...8.5k
    rp-80 5.5K
    707II 7.5K
    So you do pay more for the better thing..

13. ronnieanand

The only thing I never used to like about AX100G was it's stupid plastic casing and two stupid foot buttons. Used to get confused like hell when I had to change patches. Especially when I'd be switch from Clean to Distortion and Distortion to Clean. I used to get lost between patches half way through the song. That was one main reason I picked up the AX1500G inspite of it sounding like crap. Anyway for the tone I have my pedal board. This one is just for practice.

AX100G also has a nice inbuilt Drum Machine. Hardly used it when it was there. Started missing it after I sold it.

14. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

gt8

you migh call me stupid i don't even have an electric guitar but

Edit : i've got my GT8 !! :)

it was 474$ with taxes and stuff ... i'll get it here from the us... in a month's time

15. deathdr_87

good work!!!

now its time for u to search our a guitar ... u ahve this month to do that...

ud be very frustrated if ur processor comes and have no way of using it... i had to stay without an amp for a week when igot ym firest electric and i hated that week coz i sooo wanted to play...

16. ronnieanand

I bought my first processor even before I learnt to play. I was just having the processor with me for a couple of months without even knowing what it was. I used to think it was a distortion pedal.

17. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

thanks ronnie ... and typo :grin: it's a GT8 not a 6 ...

18. Demon_nomeD

Demon_nomeD New Member

I have used Korg 100g n now am using the 1500 G and the quality of sound - man there is a huge difference(1500G is much better!!!!).
    but when i read ronnieanand - "I liked Korg AX100G better. I used to use a Korg AX100G and my other guitarist had a GT6. He was always salivating for mine. We two and a couple of other guys sat and checked out a lot with these two and we all unanimously like the Korg AX100G better. But AX1500G is crap."

lol i felt like kicking myself, what! 100 G much better than 1500G? ya in simplicity maybe n yes most of the users with 1500Gs i find dont know how to make good pathces, those who work arnd the complexcity find out the potential this processor actually has;)

ah well nothing to despair abt ronnie's comment i guess after all he did mention that a GT6 is worse than a 100G (n well for me there is no comparison between a Gt 6 and a 100G ,shocking really) so i guess ronnie n i are on two diff. ends of a pole, hence the vehemence with which he attacks the GT6 makes me feel even more convinced that yes my next processor should be a Gt6 or 8 ;)

hehe :)

19. ronnieanand

@Demon. You play hear a few good Analog Distortion Pedals, then play all the processor you were discussing and then comment again. GT6 is totaly plastic sounding. I know one guy who sold all his nice pedals to buy a GT8. He was pretending to be happy because he bought it brand new. Now he wants stomp boxes again. Which effectively means he wants the GT8 only for a delay. I can show you much better delays which are at fractional cost than what GT8 can offer. Piece of crap for such a huge sum. Understandable if GT8 cost about 15K. For about Rs.25000 it's a junk. Rather get a Alesis Quadraverb 2 Rack effect and get a Toadworks or AMT Distortion and you can get serious sounds with much lesser cost than GT8. Alesis Quadraverb 2 has an amazing Reverb, Chorus and Delay. A nice overdrive tone too.

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

i second ron here -

i wrote somewhere else also ...
    if your budget exceed Rs 10000 - dont even look at the processors ...
    better to go for pedals ...

budget less thatn 10K - u cant get mush in pedals department ... processor on the other hand can give u a hell lot ...

n belive me this is the view shared by all the pros i have talked to ...

u have even more moeny to spend ... chcukc the pedals ,,, go in for MArshall JCM2000 or MEsa Boogie REcto or Randall - thats waht real pros use ...

even more money? - go for custom made Soldano, Diezell (or somthing like that) ...