Black Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by warcover, Jul 12, 2012.

1. warcover

warcover New Member

etc

No custom duties. Just smile.

Tunes for the downtrodden meanwhile, old school

Bad Company - Can't Get Enough - YouTube

Everybody Wants Some Zombieland song HQ - YouTube

Van Halen - Women and Children First - Take Your Whiskey Home - YouTube

2. henrynh

henrynh New Member

That's great. The whole cost comes around to what it would cost me to import one direct from US, except for the added benefit of being able to try it out first with my own hands & then decide. Hmmn, I might actually make the trip next year :grin::ptime:

If only our currency was stronger we wouldn't be overpaying buying guitars from the dealers here. Oh well atleast we have few options now.:rock:

3. warcover

warcover New Member

4. warcover

warcover New Member

" - whole cost comes around to what it would cost me to import one direct from US, except for the added benefit of being able to try it out first with my own hands & then decide - "

Correct, fly and buy.

5. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Nope u wont get charged customs...Provided u do the following:-
    - Remove all the cost labels and tags from the guitar.

- Carry set of rusted strings along with u. Tie those to ur new guitar while coming..Just to make it look used and not new. Dont keep ur guitar shiny...Do whatever u can to make it look used :p

- Put lot of stickers on ur guitar case..Tear some of them. Inshort just make it look shabby and Used.

- So now u have points to fight back incase if they catch u which is pretty rare unless u act suspiciously

- U can get goods worth 25K without Customs on those. Anything above that will be charged.

- In case if u r buying a high end guitar Ask the music shop if they can give u a temporary bill(Kachha bill) which wud mention the price as low. Else u make one bill at ur home on ur PC ..take a print out...Yeah this is cheating but trust me...Custom guys are just concerned with money...

- If you are buying guitar worth Lakh or more...Make the bill at around 30K...U will get charged minimum..Around 3 to 5 k depending upon how good u r in convincing them.

6. henrynh

henrynh New Member

^That's quite something :grin: I can see it working already. Only annoying part is dirtying up a high value guitar that's a brand new purchase.

Sometimes though you run into these customs guys that are extraordinarily greedy. I know someone who got an used acoustic guitar from Canada once & the guys at Mumbai Intl. airport(happens a lot at the Goa airport as well) weren't willing to clear it unless a bribe was paid. Even though the bill was presented they flat out refused to accept it & would charge some really weird high duty to clear it.
    Those greedy little :cen:!!!
    That's the kind of situation that I would hate to be in, if ever.:mad::chase:

I guess in this case they won't bother leeching an individual considering the origin of the return flight is within South East Asia :eek::

7. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

See if thats the case..Keep some cash ready with you. Negotiate and pay it and they wil let u go for sure...They are way too greedy. Atleast u r not paying 37% customs...

And dirtyin up the guitar is temporary man...No permanent change to the body...such as hand Stains..sweaty marks....lol....torn stickers all over...etc etc

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Do you look Caucasian by any chance?
    You know Indians are pretty slavish/servile and will do anything to please a Caucasian ("Gora"/"Firang") looking fellow in their country.

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Oh yes.... alpha1 waves his tail whenever he sees one.. :p:

10. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Looks like you got some real experience doing this to gora/firangs......

11. henrynh

henrynh New Member

I know, but i was referring to when you buy something used & there is supposed to be minimum to zero charges on the unit but the officials still keep causing problems. Sometimes that bribe ends up bringing the cost of a used item to be equal to it's new price, that usually sucks the most :annoyed:

I get the dirtying up part, a bit of pencil marks, dust, oil & sweat is all you need to make it look real old, most of which cleans up without much of a problem lol :insane:

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What if I tell you that being an Anglo Indian, I see this happen many times ...

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest