Best Way to Check If Your Guitar Is tuned!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by nehemiah, Mar 14, 2005.

1. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

There have been many posts on tuning and there have been as many more questions on tuning. Well I very recently found out a way to check if the guitar is tuned without using any expensive instruments, so this is primarily for those new to guitar and like to keep it tuned. (And who don’t have the cash and the will to buy those pocket burning electronic tuners)

The magic word is RESONANCE! The meaning and definition of this physical phenomenon can be found in any standard physics textbook.

The basic method of tuning remains the same old ‘relative tuning’.

The way to do it is as follows—

1) tune the E string (thickest & topmost string) according to your convenience

2) 5th fret on the same string will give how the string below i.e. A string should sound. Simultaneously play the 5th fret E string and A string (open). Tune the A string till the sound nearly match. (even I can do this so it shouldn’t be a problem to anybody)

3) Now comes in RESONANCE. Once the Sounds nearly match stop playing the A string and keep playing the 5th fret of the E string.
    YOU WILL NOTICE THE A STRING BEGINS TO VIBRATE EVEN WITHOUT YOU TOUCHING IT. DO NOT PANIC!! THERE IS NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF. ITS JUST ANOTHER OF THOSE WEIRD PHYSICAL PHENOMENONS BUT PRETTY HELPFUL. TIGHTEN OR LOOSEN THE A STRING TILL THIS AUTOMATIC VIBRATION REACHES ITS PEAK (this requires not your acoustic talents and simple visual observation, so its pretty easy) ALL THIS WHILE KEEP PLAYING THE 5TH FRET OF THE E STRING. ONCE THE PEAK VIBRATION IS REACHED, VOILA! YOU’RE A STRING IS TUNED PERFECTLY.

The 5th fret of the A string gives the sound of the following string – D string
    5th fret of D string gives the next – G string
    4th string of G string gives the next – B string
    5th string of B string gives you the last – E string (thinnest and
    lowermost)

Resonance is but a way of checking if the strings are in tune, not a new method of tuning. Its not much but I hope someone will benefit from my little contribution.
    :rockon:

6string_addict and DrSaurabh like this.
  2. Raju

Raju New Member

cool...
    i read this somewhere else in WEB too.......
    This works for me than the pitch pipe.

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@neh
    sounds interesting..but if we tune the upper E according to our convenience..it could be incorrect also..so being the very first string wrongly tuned..we cascade down tuning till the bottom 1..i mean..hope ur getting me?.. i think its very important for ur E to be tuned.. iL give u a weblink..u can compare...the noise of ur E wid the one in website(correct)..then u can go on wid d process..or simply keep comparing all strings in accordance wid the ones on this website [[ https://www.8notes.com/guitar_tuner/default.asp?sstring=e1 ]] ..till they sound similar!!...btw..this resonance tuning method..sounds..amazing...but i dont have my guitar wid me..to try it out.....anyways thanx a lot! :D

tahda!

4. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

point well taken vini u are right about the the e string

5. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

cool post !! :rock:

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i use something similar..i use the phenomenon of beats.....
    i tune use the 5th fret of any string and the pluck the next lower string
    and keep tuning it...till i get beats....what that is look up in any 12th Physics book
    and...keep on doin this...till i get distinct beats....in any case if u knw what beats are..ull knw y this works... :p:

7. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Just a fun "lesson" the dial tone of most phone is A440 which you can tune your 5th fret harmonic on your A string it actually gives you 2 notes A & F a maj third below. so if you stuck without a tunner try this !!!!!

E___5_____
    B___6_____
    G_________
    D_________
    A_____5____
    E_________

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

um.. u mean til lthe beats go away - when ur getting beats - iut means that the frequencies are different..

remeber f of beat = |f1 - f2|??

so a beat requires 2 diff. frequecnies

but

lim |f1 - f2| = 0
    f2->f1

so as the beats subside into a single sound, then uknow the guitar is tuned

also the longer the time epriod of the beat, the closer u are to a correct tuning..

9. a2kohale

a2kohale New Member

I read in some book that this kind of tuning is called tuning the guitar with respect to itself. So if you want to play on your own with only the guitar, this will work. But if there are other instruments, then the guitar will not be in sync with other instruments. Thats why we need the E string tuned properly.

10. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

That was a cool idea.

11. shivang_s

shivang_s New Member

quite a nice method but, i have trouble in tuning only the D string. it's a real bitch!! all the other strings tune well except for this!! so i think a pitch pipe still works best for me!

although this is quite a nice method!! keep going!!

12. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

I"ve heard of this but in it we put chit of paper on the next string and it vibrates. But the best thing is to buy a tuner. I use my Zoom 505II which has an in built tuner.

13. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

if u have a pc and u want to make a cool pitch pipe - u ought to try and use the c langauge

theres a functrion called sound(int x); or something in some library. it plays a sound of frequency x. middle A = 440 Hz, the next octave of A is 880Hz. there are 12 semitones equally distributed across the octave. The differnec of an octave is 440 Hz. Thus u can do that maths to find out the factor u need to mulitply a note by to get the next note... i tihnk itll be the 12th root of 2 or 1.05946. because multiolying by that 12 times gives u 2 - hence it doubles the frequency...

u cna apply that formula to get each note u need and play out the correct sound and pitch tune.

this is quite impractical but a fun excercise nonetheless.

14. nadish

nadish Active Member

I'll try this coz Tuning is the huge problem i'm facing now a days.......

15. Raghs

Raghs New Member

Hey
    It's Cool
    It Helped Me Lot

16. guns_n_gore

guns_n_gore hell raiser

help me
    i dont a comp so plz any1 post the exact sounds of each strings on the site or else mail me its urgrent i will amke a mp3 or audoi of it

17. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

18. mavrck_santana

mavrck_santana New Member

hey man......this is an age old way of checking if your guitar is tuned........try to tune ur ear to tune ur strings......thats the way you do it. Give it a try!!!!!

19. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

i prefer the old age way, and thats the way i do it ..
    am playin guitars for like 7 years nor .. i still have some problems tunin ma berry heh can't help it

20. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

well, most most of the time my stethoscope is with me.so, i either try to match by the fifth fret funda or do it by checking harmonics. u know the beats become greately amplified (due to destructive interference, this all the physics i remember). its easy to fine tune it this way. but thats just me.