Best Rock Band in India

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by death_calls, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Yeah, so lets call it fusion, progressive, or better Indian Blooj Music hahaha.
    The thing is, why should i go to a rock show to see a band that just apes what an already famous band has already done. Id rather just watch a Concert DVD or something.
    PS: I thought you were anti-mainstream?? Mainstream is the crap that gets played on MTV, same bakwaas again and again.

2. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

I like eating Bournvita :)

Wasnt the band called smthng else, though?

3. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Erm......NO. (big misconception imo)

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Mainstream: Representing the prevalent attitudes, values, and practices of a society or group. Mainstream rock hence ~= MTV (almost)

5. shsnawada

mtv is just for a selected audience and is not meant for all age groups. I dont know about india but here, mtv is for 10-15 year olds (and the odd 18yeaer old) and represents the mainstream music for that age group. The stuff that most people listen to here would be something like Led Zepplin, the eagles, U2 or one of the newer german bands. (i guess a similar thing happens with india only with different kinds of music.)

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Milo..Bournvita..sab ek hi baat hai:).
    @Dennis..you should have stuck aroundfor Freak Kitchen..if nothing else then for Mattias Eklundh's 'Hi..I am Guitar One Dick' jokes:). They were really goofy and didn't take themselves seriously.
    @alpha1-I'm not asking for Indian Ocean to be called Indi-rock or anything. All I said was that when Indian bands have lyrics or musical components that are are Indian , that becomes ghaati but when firangs do it, it's cool. Why do we constantly need validation from the west?
    About the Narmada thing...if a firang band (U2, or Dave Matthews) sings about the IRA or the problems of American Indians, then noone complains.the minute Indians talk about the Narmada, woh ghaati hai! And even Megadeth's political lyrics for that matter..metalheads will use it as proof of their deep understanding of the world and how serious they are and show you the lyrics to 'Symphony of Destruction'r or something.

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Nope, In india MTV is from 10-40 i guess, lol . We really do not have too many options here. VH1 is nice at times , but again Vh1 is distributed be MTV. Anyways by mainstream i thought mainstream MTV type stuff, sorry bout the confusion.

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

The juntas attitude is the problem. Wannabee-ness is rampant. I remember at last years this Nakshatra had called upon this Pandit to play with them/ Needless to say he booed.

9. shsnawada

Somebody please move this thread to music talk because this thread has a point of some kind :O

10. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm... nice comments

Accha, I for one seriously am for the glocalisation of rock music in India.
    Even though bands like Indian Ocean and Bhoomi (the folk rockers) have a small cult following, what they need is some more publicity.

Then again comes in the poseurish attitude of the crowd. I'm not saying that poseurs aren't good or shit like that, cuz we've all posed at sometime or another. But appreciating good music is something I've learnt to do, even if it may mean getting laughed at for a couple of moments.

I dunno, but if I say that hey, Prayaag were really killer today, or that the new song by James is very good, then I do get smiles and kicks from some "rockers".

Shed the elitist image guys. That's a good step forward to further Rock music in the country...

11. shsnawada

I've done my bit by dancing to napalm death in their show (to "breed to breathe") :grin: hehe

do people wear t shirts of rokk/metal bands in indian rock concerts asmo?

12. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... loads of them.
    I've got one too... "Iron Maiden" lolz. But despite whta you wear, it's whether you wear them just for well, showy reasons or for your own statement.

I've seen guys with lovel KISS, Death and Megadeth t-shirts which I would love to own and wear. I've seen Cannibal Corpse prints, Iced Earth, Deicide, loads of them.

Lolz... the sell out t-shirts have to be Maiden, Metallica and Nirvana.
    I remember, my maali's son used to wear Kurt Cobain.

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I wear white tees, full sleeves shirts etc to rock concerts.

I prefer bands like Indian Ocean, Zero (who play originals) over other Metallica/Megadeth covering bands.

I prefer listening to Dire Straits than Slipknot (and I like the clean vocals of Corey Taylor)

Majority of the rock concert crowd thinks Im a poser.

I say fu.ck you purists....go fuking cry somewhere else....suck ur dad's balls.

PS--I love the Zero's Banana Boat and La Bamba covers.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I love "Dhoom" cover by Zero. :)

15. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Lolz... yeah, those were fun. Especially moshing to La Bamba... hahahahaha

Accha, the thing is that it looks "cool" to mouth unheard of names, and seemingly listen to "underground" bands who talk only of the same old things. And in gigs, it is "cool" to wear black, and head-bang or mosh senselessly to what is being played.

@ Wiz: Yeah, they think that cuz you don;t fit into the "rock" crowd, yet you seem to be enjoying yourself to the fullest. Well, I too say, **** you, and continue on. Would love to see you in a pit sometime...

16. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

* Not **** you, **** the guys who call you the poseur

17. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

^ :beer:

18. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

lmao.... yeah... mumbai mein snow nahi hota hai.

magar indian wanna be metal artists think snow, fjords, blue eyes and polar bears should be an integral part of any metal song.............that or they have not only ripped the sound of a few firang bands but also ripped the lyrics of some black metal bands as well.

EDIT : but you are right about there being no shortage of depressing, gloomy or scary things in india, to write about. for a start i wish some indimetal band would sing about the horrors of paan chewing and the er... depressing sight of men peeing on streets and walls.

19. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

glocalisation??

is that globalisation or localisation??

or did you mean local-globalisation?? global-localisation??????

but anyways thanks for the new term... will try to use it somewhere....

20. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hahaha... man, actually, to defend the metal bands, I'd say, you can't really have a Black Metal artist talking of happy days and the painful moshpits of the Mumbai local trains, now, can you?

Yeah, but I'd sure do appreciate the fact that some artists do come out and make a statement. Does ne1 remember "The Price Of Bullets" by Pentagram and Shankar Mahadevan / Javed Akhtar? This was a track released on the "Up!" album, and was based on the Kargil war. What happened? It got banned from the airwaves.

There's also this track by Indian Ocean, which is based on the Narmada issue.

And there are the bangla bands who are doing this to a whole new level. Various songs by Bhoomi are of this kind.

I guess, you can't really bring out these "social messages" in black metal songs, unless you can cleverly hide the lyrics well enough. Enlighten me on such songs, if there are any...