Best Amp Stack b/w 20-30k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by kenny92, Mar 4, 2011.

1. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

I recently posted a thread where i had to decide b/w a PRS custom 24 and a Fender Strat. I went with the strat.
    Now, i'm fairly new to the concept of Amp Stacks but considering that they have all tube configurations and work great with pedals, i decided to buy one for myself. My budget is 20-30k.

2. insatanity

insatanity New Member

3. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

Do I have to buy the Head and the Cabinet together? Won't the Head work without the Cabinet?
    And about the maintainence part -
    This is my first guitar and amp. So, after what period of time do i change the tubes in the head?

4. flood

flood New Member

seeing that heads don't contain a speaker, i don't think you'll have much use for one without the cabinet. apart from the fact that running a head without a load will destroy the output transformer in a few minutes or less.

you could always use an appropriately powered resistor as a silent load, but you still won't hear anything from the amp though. maybe some tungsten wire instead so you can heat your room....

jokes apart, you should stick to a combo IMO. your budget will not buy you a stack, let alone one that sounds good, and i don't think you're playing stages yet. let's not even talk about portability.

output tube changes about every 1000 hours of actual use (not standby), so about 2-3 years i guess. 5-6 for the preamp tubes because they're usually run under spec.

5. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

Well, i've already purchased the Fender Mustang 2(40W). The guitar will be here in like 3-4 days. I was trying out the Fender Strat at Furtados and they showed me the whole Vox 4W stack. And it was sounding great. Amazing that tube amps are so good.

6. theghost

theghost New Member

Where did u buy the mustang and for how much?

7. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

I bought it from Bajaao for about 14.5k(shipping included).

I came across 2 half stacks at Bajaao -
    1. Marshall Haze 15 -
    15W with Reverb
    3-Band shared EQ
    2-Channels
    Digital Effects - Vibe, Echo & Chorus and a bright switch(???).
    MRP - Rs. 36,000
    2. Ibanez TSA15H -
    Supposed to have the Tube Screamer Pedal Circuit built-in with the usual controls.
    15W with no Reverb.
    Clean - Bass, Treble & Volume
    Tube screamer - Overdrive, Tone & Level
    Standby and Power Switch.
    MRP - Rs. 23,000
    Has anyone tried any one of them and can they tell me what they sound like.