Behringer pedals... Are they worth it??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by tirtha2chester, Dec 13, 2011.

1. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

Hi people out here... Does anyone own/has owned/tested any Behringer stompboxes??

I am currently moving on from my multi-fx processor (Zoom G1) to single units... At first I wanted to get Boss pedals but they turned out too expensive for me (except for Boss DS1)... So, for starters, I'm trying to say, will it be wise to go for Behringer pedals (which are way cheaper, but cheap doesn't guarantee quality) or should I wait for money and buy Boss and other expensive and quality assured stuff only....

The following are the pedals I'm looking into:
    -Behringer HellBabe HB01 (wah wah)
    -Behringer PO300 (overdrive)
    -Behringer TO800 (tube overdrive)
    -Behringer UC200 (chorus)
    -Behringer DR400 (delay and reverb)
    -Behringer PH9 (Phaser)
    -Behringer UM300/ SM400 (Metal: choose the better one)
    -Behringer AM400 (Acoustic)

Ok that's pretty much it.

But one thing I really need and its really IMPORTANT that the pedals should be noisy or sound hums/hisses. I have heard that Behringer pedals are noisy so advise me if i should buy a noise gate too or not. I really hate that UNCLEAN tone. The pedals shouldn't sacrifices sustain. I want you guys' reviews on the above and want to know if I should buy them.

Thanks in advance :)
    Regards,
    Tirtha

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Rather buy a Boss DS1 which will last more than Behringer for sure...Keep collecting other later on....Dont be in a hurry to buy all at once...

By the way how much are you planning to spend ?

From the pedals that u have chosen i get a feeling that you are mostly into Soft rock and definitely not a Metal Head....

One more option Digitech Bad Monkey. Kick ass budget overdrive.

3. tirtha2chester

Who says I ain't a metalhead eh?? :/
    Nothing such but I actually listen to and like to play all kinds of music... Mostly metal, hard rock and blues....

BTW, I am buying a Boss DS-1 for a distortion pedal as I told... Its the only inexpensive option from Boss I've got :p

Add Bad Monkey to the list, so you are saying I shouldn't go for Behringer???

4. mymusicmyguitar

If possible keep behringer as last in ur list.

Try out the Digitech Grunge. I have been using it for a while now. And i love the variations in the distortions..Its worth the money. I bought it for somewhere around 2.8k..Dont remember exactly..Might be more or less...But its cheap and worth the amount and most importantly i get the sound tat i want and when combined with Bad monkey the variations are enormous...
    U might not want to buy Boss DS1 ..Incase if u plan to buy bad Monkey + Digitech grunge combination...try it out in some shop..

There is also Digitech Death metal in that price range but its real plastic sounding pedal...Hated it.....

5. tirtha2chester

thank you so much friend...
    Can you suggest some budget pedals for reverb, delay, metal(heavy distortion) , chorus and wah wah??

6. theghost

theghost New Member

I'm using a Behringer Reverb Machine RV600 with a laney cub 10.I can say it is a decent pedal for the money(rs3900). Body is plastic, elecronics are iffy but overall if ur on a budget this your moneys worth.

7. faraz.bronx

faraz.bronx New Member

the only drawback i can vouch for is the plastic body, which is like...very fragile..apart from that, behringer pedals offer much more than what you pay for them..but dont Just buy behringer..they're not all good..go for an UM300 (it competes boss metal zone tone wise) or a noise suppressor, but save up and buy a bad monkey or a morley wah...and boss pedals live longer by far..dont go for OD300 or any other behringer distortions...ul b disappointed..

and if its tube u want..TS9 kicks arse..evn boss SD-1 is good..

and if u do want that many effects, why not go for a processor instead? course u can make a pedalboard, but man, aint one block easier to carry around? think about it

8. mymusicmyguitar

Well said, but invest only in high end processors. Low ends are just crap. U will get plastic tones. Invest wisely and generously!!!!
    Pedals can be carried around as well but for ease u will require a pedal board and a case or you can buy custom made boards but they come for a price!!!

9. mymusicmyguitar

Most of the Amps have inbuilt reverb. So you can skip this for time being. I have not played on any chorus except Boss Chorus Ensemble which i own. This does the work for me.
    U shud get a Delay first then other effects. if you are tight on budget try out Behringer delay. Its really cheap. Else delays will really dig a big
    hole in ur wallet...
    For distortion i will stick to what i suggested earlier. But if u can stretch ur budget for distortion pedal to 7 - 10k then there are much much better distortion pedals available.

10. faraz.bronx

faraz.bronx New Member

exactly my point! he's asking for delay, acoustic simulation, wah, phase, flange, tube distortion and what not! a good processor would be only logical...plus, processors entitle u to several amp models, try that for diversity..from a messa rectifier for american drives or marshall cabs for british high gain distortions..

get a korgAX3000g or a boss ME-25 and u're good to go!

as for behringer...read reviews online..or search for them on youtube, u'l find people testing the aforesaid pedals..here's one for example

BEHRINGER ULTRA METAL UM300 - Demo, Soundcheck - YouTube

11. tirtha2chester

Look I already said I am moving on from my Mu-Fx processor now. And the reasons being:

-Everybody strives for that pro tone in stompboxes that is only achieved through analog circuitry in them... Mu-Fx processors converts everthing into digital giving you that really digitzed/fake/plastic tone.... Look, you gotta admit, at the end of the day, you do want to sound like your favorite artists don't you?? And besides, which pro have you seen uses Mu-Fx?? As far as I know, they all use a combo of single units and rackmounts...

-secondly, you have to sit through the entire night tweaking patches in a Mu-Fx processor to make it sound perfect... They might not really suit your needs... And while performing live, you gotta bowse through the banks to get that preset you want which can be acheieved by a few presses of feet in stompboxes.. And besides, in stompboxes, you can get a piece of every little effect you have... You have a wide variety of sounds to use and experiment with in every range unlike Mu-Fx...

-Thirdly, I don't think I'll ever need effects like flanger, auto wah, ensemble and so on, in my playing... Why not single units then??

The only downside I can see for the single units are that their combos cost way more than Multi effects units.... And the pedalboards cost you a fortune.... But doesn't matter, I'll save up to buy them anyway if I can't buy them all at once...

12. theghost

theghost New Member

unless your favourite artist uses behringer pedals u are gonna be dissapointed with their sound. The reverb is ok but get a good distortion pedal.

13. tirtha2chester

@Ghost

Yeah I am getting a Boss DS1 for distortion

anyways, any of you here, can you guys give me a comparison between the following metal pedals?

digitech metal master, eh metal muff, metal muff micro, metal muff pocket, behringer um300 and boss mt2

I hear on many forums that UM300 kicks ass and is way better than Boss MT2(which is crap) but the Metal Muff is the real winner... Waiting for your reviews...

14. mymusicmyguitar

u can get your own Pedalboards made from a local furniture shop. I have gotten one made. I will post some pictures. It cost me around 750/- Thats it.
    All you need is a velcro or zip locks and u r good to carry it in a bag.

15. mymusicmyguitar

I have played on the following untill now.
    Digitech Distortion factory
    Digitech metal master
    Boss MT2

Boss MT2 and Distortion factory were what i liked...

Have heard better reviews about metal Muff and suppose to be better than any in that price range.

Well you can try out AMT fatal tube and other distortion pedals by AMT

16. tirtha2chester

really?? Never knew that!

But what did you do about electronics, you know, stuffs like power supply, connectors and so on??

17. mymusicmyguitar

Check my signature. I have a BE3 power supply which can supply power to 8 - 10 pedals or even more. That cost me around 1800/-. but its much better than Individual adaptors for each pedal.

18. tirtha2chester

Hmm... That's pretty much possible...

But hey man, please advise me on the metal pedals...

Should I go for a metal muff or a micro metal muff or a um300 or rather a digitech metal master??

19. mymusicmyguitar

Not played any Metal Muffs untill now. So dont know. Didnt like DMM. Well just go to the shop and try it out. PLay it urself and then decide. What we like may not necessarily be so cool soundin to you..
    U have the options with u all u need to do it play and listen

20. theghost

theghost New Member

Check out this tone king video
    The Ultimate Metal Pedal Shoot-Out : 10 Pedals in 10 Minutes Wrap-Up for 30 Pedals in 30 Days - YouTube