Beginnning Gtar Lessons

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by guns n roses, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

like 6string and sayana said chords are formed by a triad.

Major/Minor triad is the 1st-3rd-5th of the scale, the note in the scale or the root of the triad in the relation of where it is in the scale determines if it is a major or minor chord
    Suspended Second (Sus2) triad is the 1st-2nd-5th of the scale,
    Suspended Fourth (Sus4) triad is the 1st-4th-5th of the scale,

i forget the rest of the combinations but when you start going into sevenths(4), ninths(5), elevenths(6) and thirteenths(7) then you are no longer playing a triad but you have to now play the number of notes in the brackets above.

Remember these were designed for pianos where you can press 10 notes in a go unlike a guitar where you can only press 6 at maximum (on a 6string guitar!!)

As for Suspended Fifths that is a completely new terminology, trying to invent something new Jay?

Power Chords otherwise known in musical terminology as fifths are again not a triad as they only contain the root and the dominant (1st and 5th) as sayana said. Therefore you cannot have a suspended power chord as it will become a Sus2 or a Sus4, by adding any extra note to the fifth it will turn it into a combination of something else, into a major, minor, suspended2/4, augmented or diminished chords. Thus a fifth or a power chord cannot be suspended. It is called power btw due to the harmonic resonance is maximised by playing the tonic (1st) and the dominant (5th) together.

I know we're not supposed to post in here but you were way wrong in what you said Jay and things needed to be cleared up!

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills &amp; Far Away

hey no!

jay didn't say anything like 'sus5', maybe he meant 'sus4 power chords' - i never went into the theory to understand the whys and the wherefores but 'suspended power chords' DO EXIST!

here are sample listings from my chords encyclopedia: the Esus4 power chord is [0,0,x,x,x,x], Fsus4 is [1,1,x,x,x,x]. likewise Asus4 [x,0,0,x,x,x,x], Csus4 [x,3,3,x,x,x,x], again Esus4 [x,x,2,2,x,x,]... get it? the two adjacent strings (6-5, 5-4, 4-3) playing notes on the same fret, the root being the lower string note.

rabi_sultan likes this.
  3. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

fair enough, but then when you do that the "power chord" (which is just a players terminology and not part of musical theory) stops becoming a fifth.

So i suppose what i should be saying that you can't suspend the fifth chords. Power chords thus are only two notes playing together. In the cases listed above for Esus4 it is the (I) and (IV) notes of the scale being played, it still does not make it a real Sus4 triad because the third note (V) is missing.

I'll be honest my knowledge on two note theory isn't great so yes it could very well be a real ESus4 (0,0,x,x,x,x) and following on the same logic ESus2 would be the (I) and the (II) notes of the scale thus meaning Esus2 is (0,x,3,x,x,x)

but again at least you have provided a structured reply that makes sense instead of a "no i have heard it in a song so thats good enough", remember that the one of the major rules about composition is to break rule ;)

4. prash_rocks

btw, my only reference for sus power chords is my (exhaustive) chord dictionary which doesn't mention any existence of the sus2 power chords, only sus4.

5. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

I already invented the Ten finger tap what else do you need??

Powed chords are not a part of Musical theory.. Its "Just an Easy Way Out" while riffing.. It would make it lots easier for me to play meatal especialy speed when you use Power chords.. Else i will end up arranging all my finger and play Hotel California(Which is an amazing song)

6. prash_rocks

hmmm......

7. jayanth

actually its a nine finger tap.. But that sounds odd so i calleit the ten finger tap.. We do need one Thumb to support the whole hand on the fretboard right??

8. ehtashamsohail

ehtashamsohail New Member

A to Z Guitar

hi,
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz send me A to Z Guitar Lesson i have no idea about guitar. :eek:

9. jayanth

Check the Tutorials Section PLease..

10. power chords are neither major or minor..they are basically the root note and its fifth...they are used normally when u use distortion...that is bcoz if u play the whole chord using distortion it will unbearably ring and ppl will cringe !! lol...
    dont believe me try it !

11. jayanth

LOL.. But Power chord sare cool..

12. ramesh

ramesh New Member

[
    hey man ......i m a beginner and i wanna know how do u strum chords ...... like, do u just hold down watever frets necessary n strum all the strings or wat ?....even if u r holding down only 2 strings do u still strum all the strings ? ........ tell me coz im a REAL beginner with chords ..... i only know the c major scale ..... also if u know sum good chord learning resource newhere tell me ...... it will b a gr8 help ...... u seem quite a pro at this ........
    thanx man ......

13. jayanth

Questions are to be asked in Beginners Q&A forum .. PLease do the need full.. Thread Closed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.