beginners question

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cumming soon, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

while playin a song and changing chords does one keep playn even when changing chords ,i.e the miliseconds when u are not holding a chord. does one keep strumming or should he wait until he gets to another chord?. this especially for fast songs where u continue to play without any pauses.
    and how do u play muted strings?
    thanks

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

No, u do not strum all the open strings unless it is given in the tablature.

Muted strings are played when the notes are pressed..but not so hard so they will ring. Such notes are called dead notes or Muted Notes.

Muted chords are played in many songs..its easier to play em too.. :D

3. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

^sorry couldnt understand what u meant ?
    u dont even strum the open strings whilst changin chords even once in a song say like hotel california or summer of 69. i normally do it and sounds right to me.

4. Morbid_Angel

not to me..sounds odd.

Lets see what others have to say.

5. jozko

jozko Banned

try "papa kehte hain" song slowly. I hit strings during shifting chords. normal, I think

6. Morbid_Angel

^u mean u hit open strings?

7. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

i think he meant that

8. jozko

jozko Banned

Not not all open strings. some strings may be open by chance.

Assuming papa kehate he is /C/Am/F/G/
    with C Am G as open chords

the shift from F to G is more pronounced.

Effort is to recreate the original sounds. Nothing is deliberate. chord changes have to be smooth and strumming hand might hit them during up down move, depending on pattern. My thoughts only

9. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

but one ting

but wt do u do wen u play fast songs.... like everybreath u take....
    its completely depends on closed tabulater..... in that cases wat do we do...
    i tonk no need for playing open notes....

10. jozko

jozko Banned

Haven't tried "every breath". Yes when playing fully barred chords, all strings can be kept muted easily with index finger. I was saying that my effort is just to getting strumming sound as close to original song rythm, especially since I play with guitar only and not backed by drums etc.

The point is i sometimes hit strings in intermediate chord positions. (i.e. when shifting fingers to the next chord) It is not deliberate. And it is highly unlikely that u lift all fingers to leave all strings open. I try to change chord with minimal finger shift. My method may be wrong. just shared thoughts

11. Morbid_Angel

practice more then. ure chord shifter shud be fast enuff to not give u a "breath".

12. jozko

jozko Banned

exacly, am practicing to make it smoother, thx n rgds

13. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

@arnold i am certain jozko is a better guitarist than u are.

14. Morbid_Angel

dont insult me man. im 13 years old and i have taken advice from experts.

I know all the "tricks" just that i need practice now. 7 months since ive started...from negative.

15. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

u arent the best are u? that was not an insult just a reality check

16. Morbid_Angel

I took it as an insult..still do. Maybe u play better than me i. I Would agree to dat. Just try comparing the age. By the time im ure age?....

17. jozko

jozko Banned

bros, we all learn from each other. in same boat. I don't think an experienced guitarist needs to join a forum like this to find chord to a song or win a music player. :) i wonder if they waste their valuable time like that.

How many in this forum can just play Micheael Jacksons "will u be there" from memory? assuming they haven't come across it's chords yet. BTW anyone has chords of that song?

18. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

because the next guy plays better than u, do u feel insulted. come on .chill
    jozko ;righto

19. Morbid_Angel

Jozko may play guitar better than me..u said it so openly.
    What makes u see it as so "Obvious"?