Beginner to electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Guitarnewb101, Mar 13, 2012.

1. wylder

wylder Member

A quick youtube search gave me this video: Strat vs Les Paul vs SG - YouTube
    I don't know if you guys share the same opinions about the tone as I do...

Clean:
    Notice how rich (many overtones) the highs in the Strat is.
    The SG has been EQ'd to brighten it but the highs in mahogany SG is very rare causing those few highs to spike and sound harsh.
    The Les Paul is made of mahogany but has a maple cap/top, giving it a slightly richer top end than SG and greatly defining the attack.

Driven:
    Les Paul is again defined but low-mid and bass heavy.
    SG is super warm and there's very less attack. Its very smooth sounding.
    Strat has been EQ'd to boost bass but it just fills with low mids and retains a glassy top end. You can't boost the lows when there is very little of it.

2. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Such a huge amount of replies, I am not even sure that I understand even half of them properly. :D

Anyway, Yamaha seems to be the universal opinion, so , Yes Yamaha!

And about the Amp, nobody recommended a budget amp. Someone said that a 15 watt amp is good for practice and sorts, but everyone kept blaming the cheap amps. I ask, what would a beginenr like me require? The only thing I get about amps is that they can be set to produce either clean, crisp sounds, or to produce heavy, dirty(distortion) metal sound, or , the overdriven sound.

Vypr is outta my budget folks. I am not a school boy, I am in my 1st year, and about to complete it. But also I dont have a ton of money lying around. I am only hobby oriented for this thing. Not gonna join it professionally.

3. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

for bedroom practice..go for roland microcube...its enough

4. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

wylder knows everything

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Pickups.
    Same?
    That what I said, ppl hear the difference because of strings, string length, pickups and attribute that to the wood or even shape!

6. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

Man, why dont you just google the vypyr 15. Read a couple of reviews or read a couple of posts of it in some other forum. People have really good comments about em. Its probably the best amp you can get for 8000 or 7500. Dude trust me man! Go play a vypyr!! Come on!!!

Peavey.com: News - Peavey Vypyr 15 Wins MIPA Best Guitar Amp Combo Award

Vypyr 15 Review | Peavey | Guitar Amplifiers | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Dude most of the videos on youtube kick ass too. 15w amps don't suck. Dude, if you get a good 15w amp, you wont regret your choice! The vypyr is a fking great 25w amp in my opinion. If not the best. It'll sound much more thicker and heavier than the microcube due to the bigger speaker and it is extremely loud. Im tired of telling you to get the vypyr!!! Go get the vypyr!!!!!

EDIT: Just read your full post.
    Even I was on a really tight budget and i couldnt afford the vypyr. And I got a crappy stranger amp and a boss ds-1. I played the vypyr one day and it KICKED Ass. So the next minute, I coughed out all the money I could and i bought the Vypyr 15. And man, that was the best choice I've ever made. Its that good. If you want playable sound quality, get the vypyr.

7. wylder

wylder Member

Dude, the strat was meant for amithkallupalam to get an idea of what a good strat tone is like. If that is nothing like the tone he wants to get, there is no point in getting a strat and swapping pickups.

Now between the LP and SG, there are a lot of similarities including neck(mahogany set neck), scale length (24 3/4"), body wood (mahogany) and pickups (dual Gibson humbuckers). The major differences would be:
    - thick maple cap on the Les Paul
    - less mass on SG due to different shape and thickness. This is to kinda make-up for the lack of the maple cap and still keep it from being overly dark. The SG was infact first designed as the new LP which would be more cost effective.

There is a reason why Steve Vai switched to Alder in his main guitars a long time back and kept them since. Search for his site on "all about evo and flo". Same is the case with John Petrucci who changed his guitar company but asked them to design the new guitars with the exact same materials though other critical things like the bridge and tuners were changed. Recently when Dream Theater shifted their focus to a heavier sound, he has started experimenting with mahogany guitars. Paul Gilbert is another example.

You can say what you want but I doubt these guys would be stupid enough to want to care about the material their guitars are made of when it doesn't make a difference. Else I'm pretty sure Vai would always play a LED back-lit transparent acrylic guitar in lime green or pink for the most part :)

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

But i think Steve Vai, John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert will still sound like Steve Vai, John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert respectively even if they play my Dean with the rest of their setup remaining the same...

9. wylder

wylder Member

Probably to you and I, they will sound about the same. But if you ask them, they would tell you there is a world of difference simply because they know their sound from ages of practice and listening to themselves. There are a lot of nuances that they will be really picky about. I remember seeing a video where John Petrucci makes his first visit to Ernie Ball/Music Man to work on the guitar design and then he later tries out several prototypes and keeps making changes - its a long process.

There is a huge difference between theory and practice in an art form like guitar playing. Theoretically, solid state devices are more robust than a tube/valve based amplifier and they behave much more linearly. But in practice, guitarists prefer tubes: for not easily explained reasons. Once you try it for a while and then have to switch back to a solid-state, you really can tell a difference though others around may not be able to.

Its like some people love Scotch and others Bourbon. To many, they are both the same.
    Its okay to say that you don't see a difference between the two. But to say there is definitely no difference is just not correct.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Scotch comes from Barley.
    Bourbon comes from Corn.

Barley and Corn have different tastes.

But if both have same percentage of Alcohol.
    The high that you get is going to be the same - because C2H5OH remains the same in both, and that is what causes the high.

11. wylder

wylder Member

Thanks for clarifying what I stated earlier :)

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah but getting high is same ...

Bourbon flavored high will not be different from Old Monk flavored high.
    :p

13. wylder

wylder Member

Oh the vanity and folly of those people!!!
    Wonder why cocktails even exist when all you need are shooters on an empty stomach...

And why use rum? Use toddy or moonshine. Gets you there faster...

14. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Vypyr 15 costs 9,000 in Delhi. I dont think I can haggle it much. the guitar itself 10000.
    So a budget of 19000 will require a saving of another 3 months, coz I only have about 14000 with me.

15. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

All of you IGTians are so fricking high.

Guitar newb - Dude, I say wait for 3 months. Bro, dont expect anything great out of a 4k amp. Especially for METAL. The reason I suggest the vypyr a lot is because it's soo cheap and its really really awesome! (I got mine for 7.5k). And dude, you wont believe how awesome it sounds! Im afraid to buy costlier gear, like the pod hd because it MIGHT not sound as good as the vypyr. Because the vypyr sounds like a FKING dream!! Dude wait all you can. And get the vypyr even if it means mortgaging your house(Don't do that)!!

Even if you dont get the vypyr, the cheapest amp you should get is the roland cube 15 which is 5-6k. And it ain't that great IMHO. Or you can get a crappy stranger 15w for 3.5k and play clean all your life and regret. Dude, you should save up and get the vypyr. You wont regret it if you do what Im telling you to do.

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Why spend 9k on a solid state amp when you'll have to sell it off and buy a tube amp after some time... Get some used amp for now man... Any thing that fits your bill... 9k is too much to be spent in a jiffy... my 0.02$

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hahahahaha ...

18. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

ok. lemme search around. thx . :)

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

perhaps my ears are bust, but I seriously found SG and Les Paul cleans to be the same.
    1:09 and 1:53 quickly swapped

3:20 and 4:55 - for dirty sound also sounds the same. "Perhaps a tad more mids in SG (?)"