Beginner to electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Guitarnewb101, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

SO, for an amp, I was thinking Laney or Marshall. Which model wud u suggest?? Or some other brand.?

2. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

ok, I think I will look out for Yamaha 012 and fender bullet HSS.

Now, what kinda amp wud u suggest>???
    Like how many watts?? 10?15?35?
    And what brand? I was thinking Laney or Marshall.

I require it only to practice and play in front of a small audience if required (*such as a college gathering). But mostly I'd be using it for my ears alone :D.

3. volcano619

volcano619 New Member

15 would be nice for practice...go for a Vypr...its awsum
    Bullet has a HSS config ??

4. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

Hey guitarnewb, Forget the Laney and The marshall. Spend a little more and get the Peavey Vypyr 15. Its a very good amp IMO. Its got amazing distortion, its crisp and I like it a lot. Its got really good cleans too. It models a couple of awesome amps such as the Peavey 6505, Mesa boogie dual rectifier, the fender twin, marshall plexi, vox ac-30 etc etc. So it'll give you a nice variety of sound. Its really versatile and it has built in effects. Its really loud for just 15 watts. I practised with my band and my volume was only at 6. The vypyr goes till 12 :). So its the perfect starter amp and its very easy to dial in a good tone. You even get a tube screamer to boost your tone :D. The laney and the marshall is NOTHING compared to the vypyr. I know because Ive played both of em. The price is around 7.5-8k. I got mine for 7.5k. Dont think about any other amp in this price range.
    Check these videos out.
    Peavey vypyr 15 metal - YouTube
    peavey vypyr 15 settings - YouTube

There are countless number of videos on youtube. And you dont have to spend hours or even minutes to tweak the amp and get a good tone. It sounds very good. Especially the Dual Rec and The XXX for metal. The 6505 and other mid heavy amps wont sound all that great because the pacifica 012 (If you decide to get it) is generally really mid heavy. But I love my pacifica and my vypyr!

5. amithkallupalam

If you decide to get a squeir strat, get this one. Its alder unlike the others which are agathis and basswood bodied.
    FenderĀ® Products

6. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

the laney lx12 isnt nothing
    the problem is that u guys always like modelling processors or whatever
    u would like the peavey vypyr
    but when u know what single effects can do(not only with a tube amp)
    then we would see what u have to say about that

also single effects wont sound good with modelling amps
    because those amps arent made to take effect units
    single effects only sound good with single or 2 channel amps

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

why won't single effects sound good with modelling amp, but great with actual tube amp say - marshall jcm 800?
    Modelling amp is trying to model some tube amp only - like JCM 800.

So it shouldn't matter.

8. Vader

Vader New Member

i like Dean guitars but def not in your price range...
    also dont go for the 10k squire
    it sounds too *stringy*
    yamaha pacifica 012 is great IMHO
    yamaha is known for making great guitars for reasonable prices
    whether its the acoustic 210s,310s,fgs or
    electric ergs/pacificas or
    the bass rbx series...
    whereas most other guitar companies mess up their economy guitars
    go for a pacifica 012 and a decent roland amp 10w/15w...
    i dont know the current rates so dont know if you'll get one for 4k
    if out of budget go for orange 15w
    cheap and reliable...

9. guitarplayer729

because modelling amps have effects built in them
    and so they are not made to use single effects in them

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You can always turn those effects down.
    And use effects from the pedals.

The reason why the pedals may sound crap with modelling amps, is if you feed the FX signal to the modeling amp.
    Instead of using the FX return loop.

11. amithkallupalam

+1.

And btw, I never said the laney lx12 sucks, did I? i just said, it isnt all that great when we compare it with the vypyr which is just 3k more than the laney. You go around spending lots of money for effects, but the vypyr comes with usable effects and they're all really nice. Dude, one question, have you ever played the vypyr?

12. amithkallupalam

@Vader, go play a vypyr man. I played a cube 15 the other day and it was not bad, it was okay but the vypyr gets much better tones.
    The vypyr isn't getting enough attention. Its one of the coolest amps around and people never even bother to try one out. I have no idea why....

13. amithkallupalam

The whole point of processors is that you dont have to buy single effects and you have tones of effects on it!

14. guitarplayer729

was saying that laney lx12 sounds good with effects
    not nothing when compared to a vypyr
    i know a vypyr is good
    but that doesnt mean that lx12 is nothing against it

15. guitarplayer729

real true if u are low on cash
    but also
    u can acquire single effects one by one
    buying a good processor
    requires saving up about 15-20k
    who would save that much money and wait

16. guitarplayer729

must say i didnt understand alpha1's statement

17. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

All you need is a good transparent clean channel

18. vendettarevived

vendettarevived New Member

I am enjoying the discussion, but please, use multiquote, people.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

My statement is simple.

There are two different kind of effects:
    1. compressor/overdrive/distortion etc = signal amplitude. These effects change the amplitude (signal strength) of clean signal produced by the pickups. In effect it leads to change in waveform by flattening the tops = addition of even and odd harmonics (if you look into Fourier transform, you will know this)
    2. delay/chorus/flanger/phaser/reverb etc = time based. These effects don't change the original signal, what they do is modulate the original signal and add it to the original after adding some time delay.

For the category 1 - you can stack them up any way you desire.
    So you can have a compressor pedal, and then a fuzz pedal and then feed it to the amp. Or you can have fuzz pedal, and then overdrive and then feed it into amp.
    The amp also introduces distortion (= based on model of Marshall or Mesa or whatever)

For category 2 - if you introduce them prior to Category 1, you will get extremely noisy and mushy final signal = muddy output.
    So general norm is to introduce them after Category 1.

Therefore your delay will sound good AFTER the overdrive pedal.
    If the delay is before, the output from overdrive will sound terrible.

Now consider this, when you route your guitar => delay/reverb/chorus => amp, what you do is essentially same as above.
    You introduce distortion or overdrive AFTER the delay/reverb/chorus happens.
    Which won't sound great to you.

So in order to make this sound good, the amp manufacturers introduce an FX return loop.

Guitar => compressor/overdrive/etc => pre-amp => FX out => delay/chorus etc => FX return => power-amp => speaker.

This sounds better and as per your expectations.

If we look at most "inexpensive" amps, they don't come with this FX return loop. So you put these time based pedals before the amp.
    The amp adds distortion, and everything ends up sounding like shyte.

20. volcano619

volcano619 New Member

Guys...please don't go off topic..the dude's gotta problem in selecting an electric guitar...can we just help him with that already..instead of making it a jury.. :|
    Honest request!!