Beginner Question

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mudgalbharat, Apr 16, 2004.

1. mudgalbharat

mudgalbharat Silence Must be Heard

Hello

I am a newbie. I was wondering how someone plays the lead on a guitar. When i say lead, i mean not the chords but strumming single strings. Somehow i think that we can play almost any song no the scales...that is, the G Scale, C Scale, etc. So we just catch up the right scale and try to get the song there. Am i correct??

regards

Bharat Mudgal

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

No offence but that shld go down as the best noob quote in history.

Well... the best way is to get a teacher... online lessons are also ok. or buy guitar books/videos to teach you.

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

--- thread moved ---

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

ok let me try and explain.

a lead guitarist plays the songs melody.

the melody may consist of chords, single notes, bends etc.

the melody and the ryhtym must be based around the scale or rag of the song.

So by learning the scale you would know where to play a note so it doesnt sound completely off key and odd.

however thats only half of it, the rest of it is making the solos and melodies match to the song and thats where the artistic talent comes into it. This part is not easy believe me especially at the beginning but you can get there, easiest way is to learn the different licks and learn blues soloing and then build off there, go to www.12bar.de he has made an excellent section on licks and soloing that should help you out.

5. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

well mudgal........i had the same problem when started learning.scales such as C,G,etc. help u to develope a hearing to the notes means which note is played on which fret and string in that particular scale ie G scale is frm the G note to the G note and the whole scale contains 2 octaves.this helps to develope ur fingering ie led playing too.
    now the scale u r talking about is in which scale u r playing the song.it is useful if ur playing on stage or in a band.see all singers may not sing one song in one same scale ie pitch.some may sing at a higher pitch or some at a lower pitch.at whatever they r comfortable at.For eg. Usha Uttup & Lata Mangeshkar.boath have diffrent type of style but r good singers.now to know which scale the singers singing,keep playing one note after other till it matches with the singers.preferabaly the strings e & B.now thats the scale u play on with that singer.then if u get ur scale D on the B string.then ur scale is the 4 frets after the note u have got on all 6 strings ie the the same frets.then u learn the relative cords.
    Think i m right.i too m a beginer.one of my friend told me this.Advises r always welcome.:rule:

6. mudgalbharat

mudgalbharat Silence Must be Heard

Hey rabi and vijay, that was really helpfull....thanks for yr response

regards

Bharat Mudgal

7. annand

annand the pessimist

how much of a newbie are you? before you even want to attempt playing lead you should have a good grasp on rhythm. you need to get your timing down (you don't want to play a lead that's out-of-timing.

you're a newbie so it's not best to delve into scales and the sorts, it may only confuse you. what you may want to do is start learning easy songs that contains simple leads. and from there you can move on.