Beats and finger picking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by neontra, Dec 16, 2007.

1. neontra

neontra New Member

Hi guys

Finger picking and tapping the feet with the beats - is it really important to practice this from the start or can I get away with this for now as a novice.

I've been learning the guitar since the last three months but still unable to play some of the easy songs with perfection. Is it just me or do all the beginers have the same problem. I still cannot change the chords very smoothly and quick enough.

I am slightly frustrated now ..... is there anything I can do to improve my changing of chords

Cheers

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Three months is not a long time ...just keep practicing and you will get better

3. muntazir ali

muntazir ali New Member

leave the song for a while and try to play just chordsss for example the chords in the key of (c) E C Am G F BDmin these r the chords in original form and just try to play these chords and then try to play all of them at once start playing them real slow remember speed comes with practise and time i learned my first song in almost 4 months and now i can play it fast slow extra fast u know what i mean so just start real slow untill u just memorize the chords and then just practise u will feel a big difference believe me if u dont practise the chords and just try to play a song u r blindly walking towards ( BAD HABBITS ) and once u devolope them its hard to get rid of them so just practise my best wishes r with u take care

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

you need much more practice. To get your hands in the mood to change chords what you could do is on every stroke of a chord (say its C) lift your hand off the chords and put them back on, this will give you the practice of lifting your hands off to change the chord. Once your comfortable with that then try going from C to G.

Do note that certain chord changes are easier than others purely based on the position of the hand. For instance C to G is not difficult, nor is C to E. Aminor to D is also another.

5. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

I totally agree with Ambush, 3 months is certainly not a long time, you have a long (difficult) way to go yet, but don't worry, almost every musician has gone this way before!
    A lot of practicing is what you have to do and than someday you'll notice everything is going easier!!!
    Good luck

6. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

You don't need to finger pick in the beginning......its your choice.....I did fingerpick when I started.......tapping with feet is a different story......below is a link to a free metronome, just use that and you'll be fine.....and yes playing in time is very important right from the beginnning.....!!!! Have fun and Happy New Year.....!!!!!!!!!