bass guitar buying help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by den, Oct 29, 2011.

1. den

den New Member

planing to buy a bass guitar, budget is about 10-12k..
    recommendations/ suggestions please..
    ______
    i mainly play metal

2. den

den New Member

ps. 4 strings only!!

3. deepsal

deepsal New Member

4. den

den New Member

thanks.. basically i intend play metal(heavy, thrash, speed, death)
    also i enjoy rock, so i wont rule that out yet.. i do want to cover mccartney, flea and others :)

5. fena

fena New Member

hmmm..if you can add more money, check out the Ibanez GSR200.. comes with a p/j config.. or Ibanez GSR200EX comes with two MM-style humbuckers ..probably cost you around 15k to 18k depending on where or who you buy it from.. but the thing is i have never heard a single negative comment on this bass .. The Squier jazz is also a good instrument but the Ibby will do you more justice for the money, especially if you're in the heavy rock/metal territory.
    but if 12k is your max, then i don't know.. i don't really like the lower-end squiers....hmm good luck :)
    oh..umm..go ask around in Talkbass.com, really good guys over there.they'll help you out.

6. deepsal

deepsal New Member

i am a metal guy too maam yes you wont get lows in the jazz bass its build more for rock put a 100$ pup(dont remember the name) and it will sound like a p and will become perfect for metal
    the only drawback is that it wont look like a metal bass
    try both a jazz and p you wont touch a p after you play a jazz the high end musicman basses are jazz basses made to sound like p's

7. fena

fena New Member

14k for squier+new ($100??) pickups will cost him over 20k, at which point he'll be better off buying a better bass.. ESPs, Corts, Squier Vintage series..the list goes on..

i also play metal (and other genres) and am also a jazz bass guy..cosmetics don't bother me.. and its a known fact that double coils are "better suited" for metal than single coils.
    P's are generally classed with Rock music not J's .. Jazz basses are versatile (read : jack of all trades, master of none) , they can fit in with any genre, that's why they are the most popular basses
    "Musicman basses are jazz basses made to sound like P's" ???...ummm..uuhh... :facepalm:
    anyway why would you buy a J-bass and then try to make it sound like a P-bass???? i don't get it :facepalm: ..i guessing you mean "more hot" tone ..then yes..that is a possibility. and the bass will be heard better through the blaring guitars and drums..but it will cost..but here,.. the cost of upgrades is not really worth it because for the money spent, he can buy better basses..as stated before...
    also...."jazz bass + upgrade =p-bass = perfect for metal???????!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: why not just get a regular P-bass then? ehh braaahh!!????
    all i'm saying is, (and assuming he is a total beginner), at roughly the same price the kid will get more bass out of his money with a gsr200ex or the p/j gsr200..or the yamaha rbx170..which IMO are all better basses than a squier affinity jazz bass (note : high-end squiers are excellent instruments) (also note : all are versatile basses)

8. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Lol :) ..whatwere u thinkin??

9. den

den New Member

thanks guys..
    ibbys are good.. i agree but they arent as good as for the low budget gio series
    the cort action owns ibanez gsr 200!!
    i havent played an gsr200EX yet, the local shops told they are out of production (they usually say when they dont have something in stock!!)
    i never touched and esp how are esps for lower ranges??
    btw 12k is a rough budget, last time when i went to buy an acoustic guitar, i had a budget of 4k, i ended up with an ibanez v70 worth 8k :p
    so this time i might end up with a 15k bass :p

10. fena

fena New Member

Have played 2 lower esp's ..very finely made..but i don't remember which model..lemme ask around, i'l get to ya.. i'm not too keen on esp.. not that they are "bad" guitars, they are just not my thing, i don't like pointy guitars :)
    again if 12k is your max,.. yamaha rbx170 is what i'd recommend..also samick basses..note :- the samick company manufacture guitars for other brands like cort, epiphone, squier, hohner and many other brands. they are also OEM's for many of these brands too. so it means they are pretty good at what they do..i've played a samick bass at our local church..they bought it for 20k almost 8yrs back..really kicks ass. i can try and get more info on it for ya.

11. fena

fena New Member

the yamaha is listed at a little over 11k on furtadosonline.com
    oh and..in case you don't know..umm.. samick and greg bennet are (like) the same guys only :)
    after 2000, samick have marketed their guitars under the name of Greg Bennet Guitars (same guitars, just different name)

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

+1 for the Yamaha bass... played one sometime back... worth every penny...

13. wylder

wylder Member

Yup... Yamaha has an awesome range of basses for their price. I have played the RBX 170 and RBX 375. The 375 basically has some kickass pickups and good body wood as an upgrade. The body shape of the RBX series is extremely comfortable.

As somebody suggested, Single coil pick-ups might not be meaty enough for a blues/rock/metal player. You are better off with at least 1 P-type split pickup or a humbucker.

14. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

recently my friend bought a cort dlx 4 string bass for 14k ...its too versatile...has got 24 jumbo frets with agathis body and a flamed looking top...

15. Vader

Vader New Member

bass = fenders

dunno about yamaha
    but ibbys/cort/ bennet blow in comparison

16. fena

fena New Member

^^ Fenders are good guitars.. Personally,i also prefer Fender Jazz Basses and Fender inspired brands (like Carvin, Sadowsky, Lakland, G&L, Musicman).. but for a budget of 12k (..or possibly 15k),.. its a tough crowd..especially since the op has stated that he would like to play metal..also specifically speed, thrash, death...