basic tips how to hold plectrum and with how much power i shoud stuck strings?

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by prashant_yadavv, Jul 13, 2006.

1. prashant_yadavv

prashant_yadavv New Member

hello friends,
    i am very new to guitar world but the main problem i am facing is
    that when i am playing certain songs i feel that sound from my guitar is not
    pleasent inspite of fact that i have a good acoustic guitar . so i want the basic tips how to hold plectrum and with how much power i shoud stuck strings

2. cronix

cronix New Member

the power with which u should strike always depends on the song....keep a constant volume most of the time and increase or decrease the power as per the requirement of the song. The harder u strike the more volume u get(aint that obvious)

to hold ur plectrum follow this method.... make a fist and insert the plectrum between the thumb and the index finger.... release the other fingers from the fist.... and viola

Cheers :beer:

3. Xxtacy69

Xxtacy69 New Member

tips

make sure you listen to the song carefully, if you are playing chords and you wanna strum properly then make sure you listen to the song enough times to get the pattern right. I always play to the song, this way eventually you will get the strumming and it will sound right.

4. prashant_yadavv

prashant_yadavv New Member

thanks , i hope this will work

5. zee

zee New Member

ok dont hold the plucktrum too hard let it slide which will give a smooth efect for slow songs and make sure that ur guitar is tunned properly there are some good softwares us the string to string tunning it goes like this

first of all tune the first string e to the appropriate sound which sounds like the key E in the key board

now hold the second string in the fret board 1 and pluck it and pluck the e string free check whether they are similar if not hold the second fret and check

at one perticular point of fret the second string will sound exactly as the O fret of first string now tune up or down(accordingly) and bring the sound in the second string at 5th fret

e-0--
    B-5--

the should sound exactly similar

now the other string in the same way the following tabs must sound similar

B--0--
    G--4--

and next

G--0--
    D--5--

D--0--
    A--5--

A--0--
    E--5--

and hence all the strings are tuned this used when you dont have the softwares or the other guitar to tune (in acoustic).....................................

6. chatty_arko

chatty_arko New Member

tips

hold d pick tight enough dat it slides n give a constant pressure while strikin d chords if u still feel unpleseant den check d tunnin of ur guitar

7. sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy New Member

some imp notes

1. only hold the plectrum between the thumb and index finger as posted in the second thred in your reply. don't use your middle finger with the index finger in holding the pick. in advanced stages, apart from thumb and index fingers which hold the plectrum, other fingers are used to pluck the strings. so try to keep these other 3 fingers i.e. middle, ring and pinkie relaxed. initially they will react to the stress that the string exerts while you push the plectrum down or up. but constantly monitor and you can avoid this stress in the 3 fingers mentioned.

2. in a smooth ongoing passage where there is not importance on any beat, all strums should sound simmilar. but logically this never happens. there are places when you have to give a forced strum and there are places when you give a less forced one. listening to the song would give you ques.

regds
    sambit

:p:

8. stranger_in_ny

stranger_in_ny New Member

IT helps tremendously if you also develop finger-style picking side by side. Thumb, index, middle to start with.
    Finger style picking is difficult to but it certainly helps refine the texture of certain note when you playing. Many times you would need to use both pick and fingers to achieve some rhythmic pattern.

Listen to some of the songs by mark knopfler (Dire straits, sultans ;) ), Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood mac. ex. the chain, rhiannon) and Chet atkins. You would know what I mean by putting more soul through finger picking.

Anyone has seen "Go your own way - Live" by Fleetwood mac? Its has the best outro solo performed through fingers on acosutic strung electric.