Basic stuff on Aminor Pentatonic and Locrian mode

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by khuram82, Jul 9, 2006.

1. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

Im new to theory so bear me for that.......posting 2 recordings.........no such skills ........very basic solos.......was learing the positions n got thru them.....

Goto https://www.soundclick.com/rukh

OR

Aminor Pentatonic recording
    https://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=359161&songID=4164332

Locrian Mode recording
    https://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=359161&songID=4164329

only thing u'll like is probably the sound quality........n yeah im posting to know if im playin the correct notes..........:eek:: coz i jus learned these positions from a chart given on the net....

cheers

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

You're doing well. You're getting nice melodies. Nothing to bitch about here...the important thing is to keep recording, practicing (and posting if you think you're not doing it right).

Garima likes this.
  3. khuram82

thanx bjr for listening n responding.......well there is something i need to ask.......tried searching on the forums but didnt get the exact answer...........whats the difference between pentatonics and modes? n when either of them should be used?

Garima likes this.
  4. himanshu_sood

himanshu_sood New Member

really nice ! u have a long way to go. it almost seems like a studio recording ! peace !

5. zing

zing Machine Head

hey khuram good 4 starters m8 & gr8 recording - what d u use?
    pentatonics r 5-note scales - modes r like 7-note scales
    hth

6. khuram82

^ thanx zing.....but i know that the main question is what is the difference in terms of their usage? when both are used for playing solo what difference does it make? and what makes u go for either a mode or a pentatonic scale while soloing?............

and i believe u're asking me the software that i use for recording...........thats Cakewalk's Sonar 1.0 ....n i have ovation applause electro acoustic guitar......thats all........thanx for listening and responding

7. zing

zing Machine Head

thnx 4 the info - tht electro acoustic sounds gooooooooood
    as 4 modes, its ur choice what 'sound' u want 2 create - gr8 players tend to favor a particular mode & thts wht gives their distinctive sound/flavor
    e.g. satriani -> lydian, santana -> dorian, knopfler -> aeolian, zappa -> mixolydian ..... n all this was built on top of a solid pentatonic foundation

8. sarang_cool

sarang_cool New Member

I dun realy know much about the theory :p.... but I liked whatever u played...I will search for this stuff and will try to learn...keep rocking

:beer:

9. khuram82

^ thanx for listening