basic learning for beginners.....

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Sheerig, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

pls do follow the below instruction to play ur chordz easier....

The open chords
    Chords are the most important thing to concentrate on. It's much more important to know the chord than the note. Chords set the rules.
    There are several qualities we can ascribe to chords. The two main qualities are Major and minor.
    Here are the open chords, so called I guess because they take advantage of the open strings.

Majors first: Don't play X string

A- 002220

D- x00232

G- 320003

E- 033100

C-032010

Chords are named after their Root Note, also known as the tonic or the One (I).It's important to realize that all of the chords above have the same quality -- MAJOR -- even if they all look different. Without having to go into details at this stage, they are made up of the same ingredients, namely the first (I), third (III) and fifth (V) notes of their scale. The tuning of the guitar (and the fact that the strings end at the nut) make for the difference in appearance.
    Here are the open minors:

Am- 002210

Em- 022000

Dm- x00231

l
    Once again, it's important to understand that all minor chords have the same quality -- MINOR. Compare these to their MAJOR counterparts above and you'll notice that only one note has changed: the treble note has been lowered one fret. It happens to be the third (III). So you could say that minor chords are really just majors with a flat III.
    As all major keys consist of 3 major chords, 3 minors and a half diminished (you don't have to worry about it for a long time), you'll have to be familiar with both forms, and you should (eventually) be able to move between them all smoothly and accurately.
    Other chords
    Simple chords consist of three scale notes, the I, III and V. When other scale notes are added to these three, more complex chords are created. They're sometimes known as extended chords. Adding further alternate notes is a way of extending the chord.
    Like so:
    I - III - V - VII -- will produce a major seventh chord.
    I - III - V - VII - IX -- will produce a ninth chord.
    When you see a number next to the name of the chord, as in G6th, it means that you must add the sixth (VI)note of the scale to the original I, III and V.
    Don't let all this put you off. All of this information is not really necessary for you to know at this stage. I include it here in case you're interested in where it all comes from and it may help you form a mental picture of how music works if you think visually, as I do. The study of chords and the endless variations is a lifetime affair. Once you know the recipe, and you have mapped out your fretboard, you will be able to invent new positions and voicings yourself. For the time being though, just remember what the fingering grids look like and enjoy the sounds and moods of them all. MAKE SURE YOU"RE PERFECTLY IN TUNE.
    The sevenths
    Here are the "seventh" versions of the open chords we've already looked at. There are two types of sevenths.
    Major Seventh These chords have an extra note, namely the seventh note of the scale, added to the I, III and V. They have a new quality, often described as "pretty" (they remind me of the sixties). Compare them to the simple versions and see where they've changed.

A Maj 7- 002120

C Maj 7- x32000

D Maj 7- x00222

E Maj 7- 021100x

G Maj 7- 320002

(You can add a major seventh note to a minor chord, which gives them the strange name "minor major seventh", but they come up rarely and you won't need to worry about them for a while.)
    Seventh chords, without the word "major" in front, are sometimes referred to as dominant seventh. The note added is one fret lower in pitch than the Major Sevens. These chords have a new quality, an unresolved quality that seems to demand changing to a new chord, and indeed are used to lead to a new chord. Here are the Dom 7th versions of the open chords, both major and minor.
    Major

A7- 002223

C7- x32310

D7- this one is movable..as above

E7- this chord is movable as above

G7- 320001

Once again, try to compare them to the originals and view them as only slightly altered.

Now let's look at what makes the guitar such a wonderful instrument. Barre chords.

Chords defined
    The open chords
    Chord progressions
    Other chords
    Extended chords
    Barre Chords
    Easy Barre Chords
    When in doubt, you can usually just play the simple major chord in place of its extended version if you lose track of things, but you can NEVER play a minor chord in place of a major, or vise versa. They are not even related.

Shorthand for chords using C as example:
    C = C Major
    CMaj7= C major 7
    Cm = C minor
    Cm7 = C minor 7
    C7 = C dominant 7

2. susritasen

susritasen New Member

thanx

hi
    im a beginner
    plz keep this goin1
    tell me bout minors too..
    i kno hw to read tabs, n am quite ok with leads
    but chords really drive me n my fingers crazy

3. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

here it is....

@SUS... hope the abov post isn't clear... so i do help u out by attaching ...

Attached Files:

4. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

good post..Keep it up...:beer:

5. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

^
    tnx sug..... i do my best to help young learners

6. vykrant_zone

vykrant_zone New Member

thank you. this is really gr8

7. hemkir

hemkir New Member

godfather

i think u will be our godfather in learning guitar as even i am a beginner

thanks for ur time and effort put in to teach...