barre chords heellpp!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by moadhia, Dec 15, 2004.

1. moadhia

moadhia Member

I am starting out on barre chords.. problem is my 3rd or 4th string gets mutted wen i reach the 1st n 2nd fret ... while its ok with the other fretss..

by this i mean .. i m just using my index finger .. onlyy... any suggestionss..
    need help plzzzzzzzzzz

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

practice practice.. keep practising and one fine day your muted strings will suddenly sound crisp

3. moadhia

moadhia Member

wen playing the barre chord.. where is the thumb .. i press it against my index finger.. which exerts a lot of pressure just below my thumb.. so cant hold the barre chords for more than a minute ... i think i m doing it wwrongg. helpp plzz some 1

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

You are definitely doing it wrong. The thumb should be on the back of the neck, not against your index finger. Press the thumb against the neck which gives your index finger enough pressure to barre the fret.

5. moadhia

moadhia Member

sorry i put it wrongly b4.. i have ma thumb pressing against the neck and ma thumb n index finger is aligned.. it generates pressure ok .. but it hurts if i hold tat position for more than a miniute.. hurts in the part between the thumb n the index... on the palm .. :(

6. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Thumb pressed against the neck, index finger pressed to barre the fret, works for me, and dude you need to practice, you dont get it in a day.

7. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

yes, practice makes a man perfect, so try to be a man... lolz jk

8. moadhia

moadhia Member

yahh man .. have been practising for over a week noww.. i think i ll just put a pic of the way i m doing it.. maybe then u guys can help better

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

based of your chord possition, the thumb can be below the neck or used to barre the low E A and D strings if u can do it..
    like if u have a chord 330033 i just barre the E and A with my thmb, and B and E with my pinky, so my thmb is not below the neck..
    if i am playing the standard F barre chord, the my thmb is right below to neck applying pressure.

I use the thumb a lot whiile playing chords like D9(E9 etc), and split chords too
    for eg D/F# =200232, easiest chord to use the thmb on the low E.

Jay

10. moadhia

moadhia Member

thanks jay for ur advice :)

11. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

Everyone have their own technique. You should develop your own soon. hope this helps...

Attached Files: