Bands that have sold-out

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by death_metal_fan, Jan 9, 2005.

1. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Alright, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on which groups have sold-out to gain mainstream acceptance.

My list goes like this:

Sepultura
    In Flames (I'm very unhappy with the direction this band has taken)
    Slayer (to a certain extent)
    Machine Head

I'm keen to hear your choices.

2. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze New Member

Biggest sold out of all times award goes to Metallica :p:

3. death_metal_fan

I would think they didn't. They've just progressively gone worse and worse with their music. Ride The Lightning was many years ago and there is steady progression (although not good progression) from Ride to Reload or St. Anger. It's not like they jumped straight from Ride to Reload. Ride was 20 years ago.

Compare that to a band like Machine Head. In a span of 3 years (1994 to 1997) to they went from 90s thrash (like on their debut Burn My Eyes) to Korn-ish rap-metal/mallcore. That is selling-out.

It's possible for a band to grow/expand/progress without selling-out and that's why I think Metallica progressed and did not sell-out.

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

whats wrong in selling out?

5. tejas

tejas ..........

I think 3 Doors Down sold out. Their first album was pretty good. The second one was way too mainsteam (Here without you...yuck!!). I just heard the first single off their new album, sound very popish.

Then, Anthrax. They started off as thrashers. Then came the rap. What more can i say.

6. death_metal_fan

Yeah 3 Doors Down were really affected by the cash-in sell-out syndrome.

@jayswami: Who said there's anything wrong with selling-out?

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

oh god i hate here without you - after the song starts - it never seems to end!!!! but i dont see how slayer is a sell out - arent they the guys who dont really care about the cash?? or maybe that was long back....

another sell out is ratm... they sold out for cash instead of what they believd in and changed to audioslave.... this is a reverse process of rap/rock to normal rock selling out- rocha all the way!!!!

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

aah ok.. every non-indie band which has a deal with a record company has sold out.

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@deathdr...Ratm didnt sell out,they broke up. Though i am a big fan of theirs i personally felt that they were getting repetetive and needed to disband.

10. tejas

tejas ..........

@deathdr - RATM never sold out. Their music stayed the same through out. Later on, due to internal differences, they broke up. And Audioslave was formed them with cornell. And i think audioslaves music is also very good.

11. tejas

tejas ..........

And yeah, how could i forget AFI??
    They sold out bigtime. I liked their old stuff, but when Sing the sorrow was released i was like is this really AFI. I started hating them after that.

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

dude as i said.. if a band has a record deal.. then its the record company's bitch.. they have sold out. Only indie artists havent sold out.

13. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

nono - i find the music a it sellout - but i guess i think that way ecasue i dont like it

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@deathmetalfan....pal..i dont agree wid you abt slayer. i dunno in wat basis you are defining the word "selling out" if it means changing frm the music they like to music which is in demand then i dont think wat u r claiming is true. the fact is slayer's each album was a different one. if you hear reign in blood and seasons in the abyss theres loads of difference, the latter is much slower and melodic than the previous which is more freciously and fast. after dat they came up wid diabolus in musica which was too monstoreous and very quick on drums too and then undisputed Attitude which was more like punk...and now they have god hates us all wid kerry using 7 strings guitars however all the experiments they have done in each albums dont sound to be "selling out" to me!....even iron maiden's way to composing music hasn't as for metallica...i hope you have seen their's "some kind monster" flim or a video abt them....i dont remember. they were talking abt a making an album which was apparently St.Anger and they were talking like "today's generation like new age man..."...

15. death_metal_fan

I just knew this would happen. Many many people do not agree with me when I say Slayer sold out. Don't get me wrong. Slayer are one of my favorite bands ever but I feel that 'Seasons In The Abyss' was the last album they did with artistic aim at themselves. The rest has been going downhill really. Where are the wonderful riffs that made 'War Ensemble' stick in your head the first time you listened to it?

Slayer's drumming and lyrics are still as great as ever. It's the riffs that have gone bad. Slayer themselves have mentioned that they have been influenced by bands (read crap) like Slipknot. Something is really wrong if the band needs to downtune, use 7-string guitars and scream all the time just to be understood as heavy. I personally do not think 'God Hates Us All' comes even close to 'South Of Heaven' in terms of heaviness (and SOF is the lightweight of the Pre-Diabolus era).

Slayer (like Metallica) are forgetting that the heaviness of metal is derived from well-thought out and properly constructed riffs; not the downtuning of 7-string guitars and screaming unnecessarily. I might even go so far as to say that Slayer are trying to conform to the (god awful) standards that Slipknot has set in the music industry today (read mallcore). All I can say is that now that Dave is back with the band, I really hope they can do a 180 and go back to what made them one of the great thrash bands of all time, before they lose credit among the huge fanbase they have gathered.

Feel free to disagree with me. A lot (I mean a lot) of people do, but this is what I feel. If you're still convinced that I suck, you have my MSN lol.

One indication that they might want to go thrash again is their new DVD 'Still Reigning'. On the DVD, they do not perform a single song from after 'Seasons In The Abyss' which is the main reason why I bought it. Is it because Dave's back with the band? Or is it a change of direction? Only time will tell.

P.S. I did not watch 'Some Kind Of Monster'.

16. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

stev vai sold out man so did malmsteen and joe satriani they sold out too
    kurt cobain committed suicide because he himself sold out along with nirvana
    everyones sold out.. only losers havent...

17. fictional_real

^^^yeah, i get wat u said.

18. tejas

tejas ..........

@jayswami - Yeah right. Cobain sold out long before he made his first record. So, can't really call him a sell-out. And Vai, Satch and Malmsteen never wavered. They still retain their sound. And still they are successful, not losers. Just goes to show, u dont need change ur style, to have a following.

19. fictional_real

@dmf...buddy, u know better than me coz u being into music more than me. however, all i can is dat slayer never dissappointed me or any other slayer fan whom i have met so far. i am not surprised dat you have chose slayer in the list...dats ur opinion, i completely respect. i surprised dat ur list didnt have metallica...which i think is a great example or manifestation on how does band sell out. slayer rose and fall....metallica degraded.

@jayswami....i dunno how r u relating kurt's suicide with his idea of selling out himself. :confuse:

20. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

When did G3 sell out sir@jayswami?