Band Names...

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by maverick8218, Sep 10, 2004.

1. tejas

tejas ..........

^Er...isn't that a proton? I don't know what a photon is. If it is something that is light, then i have to say "Oxymoron baby!!".

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

A photon is a particle emitted from the surface of a metal when light of suitable frequency and wavelenght is incident on it.. The emission is called Photoelectric emmision..

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

4. jayanth

Go to goole .and search for Band Name generator.. Its really cool..

5. tejas

tejas ..........

Oh yeah, how could i not know this. Im supposed to be a Science student.
    Anyway, i think the name is good. Heavy Photon....

6. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Hey, dark matter, great name... although as jay pointed out a photon cannot be heavy... anyway this thread is about naming a band and not naming a science project, LOL.

7. jayanth

You are welcome Buddy..

8. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Our current band is named eXilians... meaning the exiled ones... meaning musical exiles... not many people listen ot our kind of music... do they? :)

9. tejas

tejas ..........

Hehe. Right Myth. And i like ur bands name.

10. jayanth

Do you guys play EXTREME stuff??

11. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

hows "elysium" ... meaning paradise .. basically used to denote a place where soldiers die if they die in battle ... could denote the kinda placeyour music takes people .. lol ..

12. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

good name, gnr. never heard the word though...

13. tejas

tejas ..........

It means the same as Elysian as in Elysian fields. Yeah, a place or condition for ideal happiness.

14. tejas

tejas ..........

Cool name by the way.

15. jayanth

LOL.. I just cant stop laughing.. Paradise??

Tom And JErry Project sounds cool..

16. tejas

tejas ..........

Yeah. If ur a soft-rock acoustic band, then sure u can use that name. But not for a metal band.

17. The Dark Matter

The Dark Matter Imperceptibly unknown

Hey Jay

Its an oxymoron thing...I hope u know Oxymorons :think:

And for the record photon has no mass and newtron has mass. Which is why photon tavels at the speed of light. .... :think: Confused, lemme explain:

See according to E=mc2, when any particle travels at the velocity of light, it is converted into energy and the energy produced is equal to the product of 'm' (the particles mass) and the square of 'c' which the velocity of light 3X10~8 m/s. And since light is a form of energy, and light is made up of photons, therefore photons cannot have mass i.e. they are of zero weight (since mass = weight in case of earth or any other planet/star having the 'g' (accelaration due to graviity) equal to 9.8 m/s)

If you require some more explanation, lemme know.

18. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

sorry TDM, thats not correct

e = mc2
    e = hv
    mc2 = hv
    m = hv/c2

h - planck's constant
    v - frequency

so photons do have a mass, although its pretty small. it is never 0. it increases due to an increase in frequency caused by presence of strong gravitational fields(general relativity). so considering that your band plays near some heavy star or something, the name will be justified... LOL.

19. The Dark Matter

The Dark Matter Imperceptibly unknown

See according to the wave particle equation it is not hv it is h(nu).
    AND NO PHOTONS HAVE NO MASS,

Consider the lorentz transformation equations for mass (derived from Galilean Transformation Equation) for a moving frame of reference. (Sp. Theory of relativity):

M = M' / und.root(1 - V2 / C2)

now apply this transformation equation at v=c i.e. travelling at velocity of light, this will result in M (observed mass) to be infinity, which is not possible.

Therefore, a particle can only travel at the velocity of light if its mass 0, which satisfies the above eqn.

This is also the reason velocity of light is considered to be a barrier and it is often said that we can only attempt to get close to the velocity of light and not cross it. Now, if any particle with mass can tavel at the velocity of light (i.e. photon has mass) then there is no reason to consider 'c' as a barrier and the above eqn would be incorrect, which is not.

20. tejas

tejas ..........

If a photon has no mass, then how does it have energy?

E = mc2 right?

If m = 0

Then,

E = 0*c2 = 0

So, it should not have any energy. But it does. How is that possible?