Attention-IITians

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by somendra_guitar, Jun 12, 2005.

1. somendra_guitar

somendra_guitar New Member

Hi everyone!!!

r there any IITians over here in IGT???
    I'm preparing 4 IIT-JEE &wanted some tips frm IITians OR X-IITians
    hope hearing frm u ppl!!
    c ya

2. s_don

s_don New Member

i am. iit kanpur 3rd yr.

3. somendra_guitar

boss can i have some tips frm u 'bout cracking the jee???

till what rank do they take admissions in the IITs??

which branch u r in??
    wat was ur rank in the jee??

wot should i do to clear the jee??
    right now i have entered the 11th class
    &
    have joined 'bansal classes' 4 the prepration!!

can u gimme some tips??
    plz!!

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

oops ...
    i was in IIT M ...
    but i hear that the situation now is quite diff than it was way back in the last millenium ...

5. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Are there anymore IITains..I'd like to get more TIPS 2 crack the IIT..I'm in 11th.. And not very good at studies.. Still want some tips...thnx

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I'm just finishing my degree at IIT-M..my advice..STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE...:p:
    Just Kidding!!..its awesome out here....
    Hmm..I cant give any tips of use as I gave JEE in 2000, everything must have changed greatly by now..and I have forgotten every little formula i read all those years ago...well, maybe i remember Ohm's law:p:...but, u get the picture...

7. somendra_guitar

@nebuchadnezzar
    WELL
    EVEN IF U SAY THAT IIT IS HELL THEN ALSO I'M GONNA DO "ANYTHING" TO ENTER THAT HELL
    COZ IT IS MY DREAM COME TRUE STUDYING IN ONE OF THE IIT

@others
    CAN ANYBODY OUT HERE HELP ME???

8. somendra_guitar

BTW
    IITians u can at least tell me this that while preparing for IITs
    How long hours did u study in a day??

also tell me how much did u study for ur 10th boards so that i can compare it with mine!!!

well i studied 3-4 hrs a day for my 10th!!
    1 month b4 the exams i studied 5 hrs a day!!
    i got 81.6%
    in my boards(CBSE)
    with a 91% i science+maths!!!!

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

There is no fixed amount for hours for everyone..it varies greatly from person to person..some ppl study 12 hours a day for 2 years and dont make it..some get in with 2-3 hours a day..it all depends on the person...do what works for YOU....follow your own study plan....
    Having said that, coaching is a very important part of IT preparation..get hold of good classroom coaching or good study material..these make ALL the difference...the coaching centers at Kota and Hyderabad churn out many IITians every year...of course there are some ppl who get in with self-study only..but thats a small number..

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

I tried and tried finally gave up!!!!!!!!!! I started studing towards then end of my 11th ........ Then i realised Maths and Chem is too damn difficult....... physics was ok.....

Guess you need to study like hell ......... I was one of the top rankers in Karnataka CET .... But didnt even get through IIT - JEE Screening....... So study hard..... IIT is a great place to be in.... Read all books recomended properly ....

Forget it a loser who couldnt get through JEE shouldnt be giving sugestions....... Or maybe i can tell you what you shouldnt be doing to get Through JEE ........ Dont watch too much of TV, No smoke no Dope no Booze, and no friends for a while...... And towards the end No sleep ........

Its always worth all the pain you take...... BEST OF LUCK.....

11. somendra_guitar

man u say right i need to work hard!!!

every bdy sez tht!!!

well i have joined a branch of a renowned coaching centre in kota!!
    "bansal classes"

i know all i'll do now 4 my leisure is a bit of guitar & a bit of the net!!!

12. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

hey .. its not only about stuyding hard. Its about studying smart. You must devise your studying plans according to your grasping power.There is no fixed no. of hours of study for IIT . You used to study 8 hrs in primary school not for IIT. No of hours is no measure for what you have studied for IIT.
    For IIT screening , maths i think , Objective Maths by RD Sharma was a good book , and for the mains it was A DAS Gupta that worked for me.
    For physics , HC verma and Irodov are good books though Irodov may prove to be too difficult in the beginning.

Morever it is very important not to have too many books for prep. Just have at most 2 good books for each subject but you must be thorough with them. A case should not arise that a question is fomr that book , and u cannot solve.

Lastly but of couse not the leastly , It is more important to know your concepts than to rattofy. Rattofication won't get u into IIT. Solve previous years papers and gain confidence.

About me , i qualified mains in 2002 with a lower rank of 2912 and got into IIIT allahabad. it was through JEE that year. So maybe you could do with my advice !!
    Will be here for more if you want .. but dn't expect me to solve questions for you cuz all i remember is the Ohm's Law like nebu !!

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dude u have joined Bansal and will be in Kota,right?....I am VERY surprised as to why you are asking for advice then...At Bansal you will be surrounded by nothing but IIT aspirants...u will get the proper environment and ppl...I mean, you will know what to read, how much to study, coz there will be so many others to discuss with...now its totally up to how you perform on exams.....
    Competetive exams can be cruel..you cud lose it all on the big day....
    When I gave mains in 2000, first paper was Math..I was so tense that i hardly wrote anything for the first hour(it was a 2 hour exam)..then somehow scraped a few answers..next was physics..i was so upset abt Math that i screwed the easy paper to some extent...luckily my Chem was very strong and it made up for the others..got 485 rank and i was in..:)
    Another thing..keep your hobbies going on the side..u can always find some time for them....the preparation will seem very difficult in class 11 but things will greatly change by the time u are halfway through 12th....so keep the faith and hold on.. :beer:

14. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

som dude...1 more thing....dont get over confident if u clearda screenin...coz i cleared it and didnt study for da mains properly....and got screwed durin da mains.....always remember its gonna get more difficult in da mains....so keep studyin..and :rockon:
    all da best...and if ya clear da exams we want a treat :beer: .....

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ahh..i guess im am a it too late...yes, i second whatever nebu has said(including the iit being hell part)

anyways...u have joined The Factory, so ask them ...theyll know

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey I never said IIT was hell!...True, the notorious Elec department at IITM has scarred my life..but still these will definitely be the best 5 years of my life...

17. somendra_guitar

@abhay
    thanks man for those names of books & that precious advice!!!

the institute ppl have given me a list of essential & desired books
    long list!!!
    & i think the books u told are included in that!!

@nebu
    yes sir
    i have joined the jaipur branch of the famous bansal classses of kota
    actually
    on 7th it was my entrance test 4 bansal classes
    on 12th result of entrance test
    on 14th i deposited the gud 28 thousand of the fees
    & the classes will start from the 20th
    so i'm just being curious all these days
    so was seeking ur advice

vaise did u take coaching somewhere??

@cypher
    i'll take care i don't be overconfident in the mains!!
    &
    'bout treat not so early!!
    its 2 yrs remaining!!

@all
    which of the IITs are considered better of the others among the seven??
    wat is the rank uptill which they take in to IITs??

18. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

28k for coaching? wow
    I'm sure I didn't spend more than 20k including coaching, and all my 4 yrs of study in IITM
    (mainly cos I was in the last batch before IIT hiked their fees :D )
    hmm times have changed
    the only advice I can give u is forget abt getting too much information about the exam and IITs and stuff, and just concentrate on your technical knowledge and outlook. looking at a tennis ball rolling in the mud and coming to a stop, and understanding what forces acted in the process will get u farther than knowing the solution to problem 23.4 of Irodov's 12th edition.

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey nice to knoe that so many people keep track of the best Tech Institute in the country.... Now i feel better when i agrue with guys on this site.....

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

oh my ...

dude ... better u stay outta this rat race of getting to IIT ... then getting to IIM/US univs ... then "pushing thru" your whole life and realizing in the end that this is not exactly something u had wanted/charted initially ...

better u decide what u wanto do in life (long term rather than short term) ... and yeah it sounds very counter-intuitive since i am also guilty of not following this advice ...
    but man there has to be a retrospection ... and ya really need ta talk to existing IITians (passout or current) ... as to what will lay in ffront of u after it ...

hmmm well if u really wanna take the easy way out in life then yeah for sure IIT provides u that ... (OK getting into IIT is not easy ... but once u r there u dont need to really slog) ... however, what this willl do is to blur those killer instincts that every one should have ...
    second thing is it will (somehow or the other) make u less humble ... that is very bad ... esp in today's world ... u will not think of "stooping" down to some typical kinda works ... which is totally unacceptable in todays world ... (this am not guilty of ... however, many frends of mine are) ...

third ... getting there will make u feel that u havta get everything u desire for in life (dunno y but that really happens) ... sorry folks ... thats not what happens or is going to happen in reality ... frankly speaking the peep who dont make it are much better off in that respect ...

fourth ... whatever i have said can be taken as bull**** (hahaaa) ... i am just presenting the dark side of the moon ... obviously there is bright side ... that everyone else will show u ...

best of luck in your endeavors ...

and since u have joined/planning to join Bansals ... u dont need any advice ...
    man what are u paying those ****s for?