Atheists on IGT?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Apr 25, 2008.

1. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

now this is a confusing question?

how the hell can you be athiest without beleiving in god yeah??
    you gotta beleive in something to know it's not there yeah?

i think athiesm must mean non god fearing.

someone messed with my life and it was not me so i guess in a beleiver...
    but then im not indian so i should just shut up!!!

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Nope nature just made sure the less pussy animals came first so that they could come to terms with the most pussy organisms the world has seen.

You may not be able to control everything around you but that doesn't mean someone else can. It definitely doesn't mean someone else is always controlling everything around you.

I'm not atheist, but I don't believe in a "higher power" or an almighty all powerful being.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well, no. If you believe in something, it's when you think it's there.

And you raise a good point about not being god-fearing.

Also, from your last comment, I'd think you were feeling sorry for yourself at this point and I'd just advise you not to because it doesn't help.

I'm almost with you on this. Yet, I do believe that there is a higher power....though not that it is in control. I'm still not very sure what I mean so I really can't explain.

While going through an IMS paper, I came accross a very interesting article on Jung's theory of collective consciousness which I thought might tie in with what I think I believe. I still haven't gotten around to reading it but I know I must.

4. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I'm glad. thx

5. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

bjr...

my my you have a knack for being direct...
    im impressed

no i was not feeling sorry for myself...

just being hopeful that someone will demast bush soon...
    (yeah im a green day fanatic)

and i was stating that im not indian as the topic was regarding something to do with god(s) and india...

you make some great debates bjr keep up the good work

***play hard worry about neighbours later***

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That's all good then. Welcome to the forum. I'm the sheriff around here so you'd better keep your nose clean or you'll find yourself in the slammer before you can say McFly.

[/cowboy bjr]

so how come you're on an Indian site even?

7. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

how come...

i hate my own culture it is a mess and i really like indian culture so it makes sense to dive right into it at the only part where the speak is all the same (music).
    plus i have a girl friend in Delhi (but thats hush hush) coz daddy doesn't know shes dating a punk rocker!!!

as for ending up in the slammer...

your dealing with a punk, from a different culture with a very different outlook on life so things are gonna be a lil messy from time to time...

sorry in advance though...

ROCK ON!!!

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ So what is it in the indian culture that you exactly like?

Traditionally, our culture has been super conservative, and closed - and foreigners like you were never welcomed.

Especially those trying to get cosy with our women folk.

9. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

Ahhh...atheism..I switched to atheism about 3 years ago I guess.But it really had nothing to do with doubting God's existence or absence.I shifted to atheism because I was beginning to blame every misery in my life on god..And the usual "what did I do to deserve this?" question.
    And then I got to a point where I began to wonder why I counted on Him to make things right for me and chose to simply not care for his existence.My life,my choices,my consequences.I'm not sure if that's atheism.

On a personal note though,"God" for me,is the conscience.Or,to be more precise,conscience is God for me.But that's just my own philosophy..

10. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

really im sure i have dereailed thiis thread!!!

i love your dance (bharata natyam), traditional dress (sari ect...), your food (god the food mmmmm), the music and language (even if i dont get it), but most importantly i like the people,
    as a race indians are by far the fairest, most supportive, honest and hard working.
    and coming from the most multi national nation on earth i can vouch for that.

***Athiests on IGT related posts only from now on in this thread please***

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

On a side note, does anyone have an opinion on Jung's theory of collective consciousness?

12. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Too bad many Indian urban kids don't see all this...

13. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

BJR
    if the age question was aimed at me then im 21
    born 23/04/87 (or as commonly put by indians i know 04/23/87)

EIGHTYTWO
    i know the feeling,
    with out taking a dig at indian the boys around me are (im not going t osay that its too rude) but the girls are still traditional,
    i think from what i have seen india has a new wave of rebels coming out all in their late teens and changes to media have allowed them access to all the things they think are "cool" and no one has a voice to put them in place anymore.
    it's not just indians doing this though it's a world trend

14. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

Phew, Thank God it's a world trend :p

15. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

We still go by the Commonwealth format in the country. It is still 23/04/87 and cheers to that!

16. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

I converted to Buddhism 3 years ago, and it is an atheistic religion.

17. augur

augur I love bjr

How is that? You're still are praying to Buddha? You believe that Buddha is God, higher being etc... I'm completely clueless about Buddhism so correct me if I'm wrong.

18. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

No problem, here's a summary:

"According to BuddhaNet, a major Buddhist website:

There is no almighty God in Buddhism. There is no one to hand out rewards or punishments on a supposedly Judgement Day. Buddhism is strictly not a religion in the context of being a faith and worship owing allegiance to a supernatural being. {2}
    The Buddha himself rejected metaphysical speculation as a matter of principle, and his teachings focused entirely on the practical ways to end suffering. "

From https://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/beliefs/atheism.htm

19. augur

augur I love bjr

But you do believe that there is someone up there? I mean there are statues of Buddha and there are Buddhist temples...

For the record, I'm agnostic. I stopped believing when I was just 7.

Whatever it is that is up there, it surely fcking hates me.

20. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

I personally believe that religion can also be followed as a code of ethics and morals without the worship of any supernatural being. I do not pray to any statues. I believe Buddha was an example to follow rather than a deity and I don't believe in an afterlife.