Atheists on IGT?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

I was wondering how many Indians or NRIs are atheists. In very recent times, I have started noticing a significant number of atheists here in India. I was wondering if this is due to the awareness of atheism or something else in particular, like it's thought of as being 'cool'?

Let's see how many atheists we have here :p

I myself am an atheist, although I specifically associate myself with LaVeyan Satanism. :)

2. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

This question always confuses me. I don't think I believe in God but I don't like to call myself an atheist, either. It's too strong a word. I like visiting temples because of the calmness and peace of mind I feel in and around the place... the older the better... it's the history of the place that attracts me apart from the calmness and peace of mind... it just makes my heart feel warm. I don't even like to go to a temple if it is not 100 years old at the least. Otherwise, at home, I never pray or even stand in front of the pooja room. I don't know if it is because I don't believe in God or if it is because I simply can't be bothered to pray.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'm still far too confused to be an atheist.

4. Morbid_Angel

What're you confused about bjr? :p

@82
    Ask yourself if there is a god. if you think there is, you believe in him. After knowing this, you may choose to worship him or not.
    Or you could simply call yourself Agnostic.

5. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

You found me the word! yaay! :)

6. Morbid_Angel

No more Atheists, Agnostics, Scientologists here? :S

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Just plain disbelief wouldn't make you an atheist. You've got to believe in atheism to be one.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I dont believe in anything that is blindly believed by a large number of ppl.

The reason why I dont believe in God as it is proclaimed and religion as it is promulgated is because the purpose of god and religion as it is claimed now is totally different from what it came into existence for.

I dont think that makes me atheist.

9. Morbid_Angel

Atheism is the absence of belief in God's existence.

@bjr
    And it is not the belief in God's non-existence. The label of atheism is what yo u can choose to have. Not believing in atheism will make you a religious person for all to see, but it won't be what you want to be. Besides, there's really no reason why one should not believe in atheism following disbelief in God.

@alpha1
    As long as you don't believe there is a god, you are an atheist.

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well, no I don't suppose I'm an atheist (having read on wikipedia).

11. Morbid_Angel

Well, then, are you agnostic as well? :grin:

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well, I think most rational people tend to be agnostic. It's a totally different thing.

Atheism asks whether I believe or do not. Agnosticism just says regardless of what I believe, I cannot prove beyond doubt what I believe is true.

Or is agnosticism different from this?

13. Morbid_Angel

Nope, what you say is correct =)

14. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

its strting to build up in Pakistan as well.. but MOST of thm juzt label thm atheist to get the cool dude label...

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Animals are anyway atheist.

16. Morbid_Angel

I don't understand what's so cool about not believing in god. I thought atheists could be ostracized, instead.

17. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Considering the timing of your comment, I'm guessing, it's target is pakistanis... Well, just to let you know... one of the most awesome online friends I've had is from Pakistan...

don't stereotype.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Your guess is wrong.

I dont care about Pakis or Indians - all are same.

Animals are atheist - means, human have created the concept of god just to take care of his insecurities.
    Animals dont believe in god, and neither do they need to.

19. Morbid_Angel

Yeah, nature wanted everyone to be atheist, to be free.

20. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

+1 towards the thread...