asp.net

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by jamhead, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

can someone tell me about .net, c#, asp.net and xml.

which/what is which/what, and how tough are they to learn??

also does one need to learn .net, and asp.net and xml to write programs in c#.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

.net is a platform
    C# is a language
    xml is (usually) a data storage method
    ASP = active server pages

Go to this page: https://www.w3schools.com/

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ASP.net is a web technology, C# is a programming laguage like C++.

Both are unrelated.

4. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

so to learn to write effective programs in c#, why do i need to learn asp.net and xml and .net?? or do i?

5. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

u dont have to know asp.net etc to learn C# (as far as i know) but u can use C# (or vb.net or J#) to code for asp.net

6. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

ty.

any other opinions?

7. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

C# is just the Microsoft's Version of Java. Its totally different from asp.net and others.

Other than asp.net there is PHP and JSP (Java Server Pages)
    If you are working on a website then I would recommend going for PHP and JSP.

8. .net as alpha said is the platform
    C# is enhanced version of C++ for the users who know Java.
    asp.net is used to build web application with the help of two languages. C# or Vb.net.
    xml is used a temporary storage language but we dont consider xml as language. cuz it doesnt support OOPS concepts.

if you want to build web application then u must learn ASP.net with VB.net or C#.
    or if u want to build a Client Application then u must learn VB.net.

you dont need to learn asp.net and xml to write programs in C# cuz its different from xml and asp.net.

9. tejas_c

tejas_c New Member

Hi,
    well ASP.Net is a technology to build web applications (eg: www.orkut.com or www.yahoo.com) and C# is a language which is used to do the coding.
    While C# can be used to code desktop applications/ console applications/ control libraries/ mobile applications C# can also be used to write server side code for ASP.Net web pages (.aspx extn)
    web application can be built on ASP/ ASP.Net/ JSP... and can be coded in C#/ VB.Net/ VBScript/ Javascript/ Java

10. tejas_c

tejas_c New Member

xml is extensible markup language commonly used as a standard format to transfer data from a database like SQL Server to your application or vice-versa... it is derived from SGML

xml can be thought as a flat file representation of your database table as a set of hierarchical nodes

<bookbank>
    <book>
    <name>asp.net
    <author>Tejas
    <isbn>
    </book>
    <book>
    <name>c#.net
    <author>Tejas
    </book>
    </bookbank>

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I can use VBScript or Jscript to code ASP.

Dunno about ASP.NET. :eek::

12. 2good4you

2good4you New Member

can anyone suggest a good book to refer for asp.net and C# together... i've tried the Beginner's book for asp.net and C# by wrox publication.. but its not that satisfying...

13. bsharp

bsharp New Member

Well... On the contrary..
    I find Wrox books are pretty good.. :think:
    Anyways. u can try some books of BPB Publications.. They are pretty good too.

If you want, u can follow some pdfs(e-books) available..

I think the best way to begin with either of C# or asp.Net etc is to follow a begnr edtn book ... u may get stuck often or not get clear about concepts or may have doubts (coz in the beginers edition u have every thing in brief n u may end up having cloudy ideas..)..
    In that case u can refer to websites ..like c-sharpcorner.com,
    codeproject.com, w3schools, codeguru, 4guysfromrolla, etc etc. lots there...

Coming to what is C# asp.net etc..
    C# : Its a programming language similar to Java.. U build appln using it.. just like C++ etc..
    if you have OOPs concepts then C# wont be a headache..
    Dot Net is like others said, is a platform.. u have ASP.NET to build web applns.. using any language like C#.NET or J#.NET or vb.net etc..

ASP.NET will be a new thing if u r not so aware with Web Requests, postbacks etc etc .. U can refer to Wrox ASP.NET (Bgnrs edtn)..
    XML : Its like HTML..another mark up language..
    ITs lot used to keep data in XML formats .. and Many more uses... like Web services etc...

let me know if the above is of any help to u.
    Cheers!! :beer:

14. bsharp

bsharp New Member

Coding in asp using scripting lang has lots overhead...n more over not as flexible as appln using ASP.NET..

ASP.Net rocks!!!! :rock:

15. bsharp

bsharp New Member

Well JSP rocks!!! but I wud suggest to go for JSP or ASP.NET instead of PHP..
    ASP.NET is damn cool..
    Try ASP.NET 2.0 .. it is very very sophisticated !!

16. 2good4you

2good4you New Member

hey thanx... i did have some problem with the concepts... got cleared now...

17. bsharp

bsharp New Member

Welcome.. :beer:

18. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Bsharp is giving info about C# ..

cool.

19. bsharp

bsharp New Member

he he he.. well said !!! :p: :p:

20. voyager_avi

voyager_avi Member

Both VBScript and JavaScript can be easily used with ASP.NET
    There are two ways to do that--
    1. Write the script part in the designer file
    2.Write the script commands as a part of code and call the script-builder function from your code.