Ask Tallkien Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by laneymaney, May 14, 2007.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Since Neo is tightening on "off-topic posts" i thought this thread would be a great idea. You can ask tallkien about anything gear related.
    My first query:
    How much would a 2x12 cab with some average speakers cost me?

Thanks,
    Laney

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Firstly, asking tallkien is not always the best way to go since his ideas are usually quite one-tracked and can misguide at times. Tallkien does not claim to be an authority on any subject and is not a goto for answers. This is a discussion forum and tallkien prefers to participate in that spirit. That said, The threads can indeed be tightened up with less innuendo and I think everybody should be responsible for that. If you actually use the search function it becomes quickly apparent how much singal to noise ratio there is on this forum

Which speakers are you talking about. The Sammis are twice the cost of the Samras but they are still way cheaper than Celestions. I'm getting two or three for myself but at the same time I want to try these local one's too. The Samras are cheap so that'll cost you 2x1400 and for a cab you'll need to check with these cab makers (should be under 5k totally). I'll probably get a few Samras made for combo options but all that depends on demand. I know nothing about cabinet acoustics. :(

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Ok, because im going to invest in a cab before i invest on a head. Seems more logical to me. I can use the cab for my laney tfx1 till i get an all-tube head.

And you are our "go-to" guy. So get used to it! lol

4. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I assume the Laney has provisions for an extension cabinet. If not you may be pushing the amp. but a speaker cab is indeed a good idea, and if they're good and easily available they'll make for a great amp upgrade

Note: Samra speakers have to be custom made to order. They are not available across the counter

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Yep, my laney has a cab ext. Ill let u know when/if i can buy.

6. godsaint

godsaint FLOYDIAN MEMORIES

The Line Out is the cab extension right?

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Extension Loudspeaker
    ()
    Minimum 8OHM Impedence

the"()" is the hole to plug the cable in.

8. godsaint

I get that. I am sure you get my sarcastic tone on this post. () :RollLol:

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Tallkien can u make a 20-30watt JCM800 combo :grin:

10. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

JCM800 pre with a 20W power stage yes. What kind of music do you play?

11. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Usually play hard rock/metal stuff, recently getting quite an affinity for blues...BB.King, SRV etc

BTW Dude, I read somewhere that u met with an accident, How are you now ?

12. abhi.danej

abhi.danej New Member

hey there. hope u r doing fine.
    i wnt to get a new electric guitar + amp + processor (if in budget). my total budget is 18-20k. i stay in noida.
    the other day i wnt to delhi and checkd out the following

yamaha pacifica 112 (2 coil pickup, 2 humbucking) ~ 11-12k
    fender squir strat (3 c) ~ 9.5k
    Ibanez [cudnt remember the model] (1 c, 4 h) ~ 11.5k
    Ibanez GRG 270 (1 c, 4 h, floyd rose) ~ 15k
    fender also has a combo for 13k...squir strat+amp 10/15watts.

i didnt check anyother models of any company. went to on-stage, and most of the shops of dariyaganj.
    have to get a decent amp too - around 3-4k.
    one store told me to go for zoom 505. i dnt knw hw is it. though tht can be looked into later.

please suggest wht cn be a good option fr me ? processor can b skipped for now. i'll buy 'em as soon as i make up my mind.

thnkx

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

no accident, just a little cosmetic type surgery. I'm fine, Thanks for asking... :)

A JCM 800 pre is a pretty high gain preamp and with a 20W 6V6 power stage it will create most of its distortion in the preamp itself, as opposed to an 18W where most distortion is handled by the Poweramp stage.

The 18 has more of that traditional Marshall growl when dimed while the 20 watter could sound a bit fizzy (at least in comparison). This amp hasn't been prototyped just yet so I can't comment on its sound, but there are similar 20 watters that are floating around.

I'm personally on a quest to find something that sounds like this right now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s
    Said amp is 35 watt adaptation of what I'm trying to achieve with the 18. Same Tubes. That's the low volume power amp crunch that I'm aiming for

With a booster and some reverb my HO sounds a bit like that. Actally the BB King version is almost spot on. Love those EL84s

14. abhi.danej

abhi.danej New Member

hello guys !! replies please ! :)

15. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

im thinking of getting a combo of the jcm800 and a peavey 4X12 cabinet........................views?
    its what i think tom morello uses

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Your getting a peavey cabinet? Where from?

17. godsaint

@ abhi.danej: wrong thread, ask electronics Questions here. Post a new thread.

18. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

More power to you! How much are you paying for this. If you're importing, you might end up paying more than the cost in shipping.

I was thinking of building this same amp into my marshall but I don't know if I'll ever need that kind of power, I don't think so. In any case Nowadays Big amps are associated with small willies :) The whole idea of building the 18 is to have a little big Marshall.

Good luck with your purchase. That amp is the definitive Rock amplifier

19. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Doooode, you got to have a bigger amp man. For tha phat music you need duh twin 320 watt heads running seperate full stacks, for tru stereo. Don't cha kno dat ?

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I've heard of guys playing 500watters. I wonder how they go out in public...