ASAP Urgent advice for Buying Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by uj_6string, May 29, 2006.

1. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

hey guys...
    after almost 7 months playing the acoustic, i am getting my first electric...tomorrow!!!:beer:
    i like rock and blues.....i am not a metal kind of a guy....
    so, please give me some advice on buying an electric guitar, here in delhi....i am going to buy in from onstage(lajpat nagar).....my buget is Rs. 12,000... Please reply asap...
    thanks...
    uj

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

How about a Squier California strat..costs about 12K, the Yamaha Pacifica is in the same price range too..

uj_6string likes this.
  3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Hey Nebu I never tried a Pacifica... How good are they realy? I need a back up guitar.

uj_6string likes this.
  4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Pacifica are real good.
    Ron n Me tried em up ...

uj_6string likes this.
  5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

hmm I have seen a few.. but got a bit repluse by the look... dont get me wrong I love strats and strat body copies.. but the pickguard design put me off...
    Aplha how would you compare them to a GB&A ?

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

12k...hmmm...my frnd got a aria guitar for 11k ..some XL std or somethin..not to sure about the exact version..it was nice for the price ..the only thing it lacked was a floating bridge but then ..i dont think it is very necessary ..is it ??
    the finish was decent and it had a HSS combination so u can get a variety of tones becuz u have both a humbucker and single coils in ur guitar...
    i heard pacificas are neat ..but i have neva played one ..i have played a yamaha ERG121 ..not sure abt thaat one too but it had a HSH cofiguration and it was pretty sweet ..
    if u take ibanez ..i think u get a grx-40 for tht price ..

uj_6string likes this.
  7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I too have heard Pacifica are neat. I personaly dont like Ibanez.. dont get me wrong they are good guitars, but not my taste... I am looking for a back up guitar that wont burn a whole in my pocket. Pickups will most probaly be changed... if not defintly over a period of time.. So what I am looking for is good built . I would like to try Aria too.

8. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Exactly what I was going to suggest. The Strat Squire is the best for the price.

uj_6string likes this.
  9. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

i own a yamaha ERG 121 they are great! it has a low action.
    when you go to get your guitar check the following:
    1) the action on the guitar. ie. how high the strings are from the fret boad.
    (the higher they are the more difficult it will be to play!)
    2) a good fret board, you get planks of wood out there. make sure u get something decent like rosewood.
    3) Look at the neck..everything is in the neck if the neck is bent and its your fav guitar dont bother!! make sure the neck is nice and straight!
    4)look at the frets themselves.. Yamaha ERG has close spaced frets when u go below the 12th fret. it could be bcoz its a 22 fret guitar. you probably get wider frets with a 19 fret guitar(pacifica has wide frets!). so this depends on you!!- DECIDE!
    5)lAlso your genre of music should have little bearing on your guitar choice.this will be mainly be dictated by the number of pickups, humbuckers a guitar has.
    6) have fun look at them play em.. make sure YOU are happy with it. else it wont be worthwhile..pacifica is good thats the one i was going to buy, but then i ended up buying a ERG..i would recommend pacifica..for two reasons:
    1. they have nice wide frets so u can solos comfortably
    2.the configurations is great. it has one humbucker and 2 single pick up coils.
    which will give u the best of both worlds ie nice clean sound,strumming with single coils and a good grunge with the overdrive.

uj_6string likes this.
  10. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

what is a humbucker and what are single pick-up coils?

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Well all these models do have a basic cheapo white plastic pickguard and knobs, GB&a being the worst, but then there is a considerable price gap too.
    The quality varies from time to time for these models. Ronnie has a GB&a, purchased about 1.5 years ago, which he says is pretty good..the recent GB&a's I tried in a shop didnt sound good to me, neck and bodywork were pretty ordinary too...the recent Squiers are good, one of my colleagues got a Affinity Tele, which is real nice....

12. uj_6string

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:grin:
    I would place them above GB&A, not because I think GB&A are bad, but because the GB&A I have come across at my place are nothing great. Infact the 5-7K price tag seems appropriate too.
    Infact I have seen one 10K Floyd Rose GB&A which actually didn't carry GB&A name on the headstock.

So in all possibility that was a faker or mebbe an ultra-cheap Ibanez.

But whatever I think Pacifica deserves a status = Squier.

14. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Did the Gb&a Floyd have a bannana shape headstock (old jacksons - EVH). I saw one of those a long time ago. It looked awesome. Played really well too. Wanted to get that but someone bought it before i could.

uj_6string likes this.
  15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Thanks Aplha And Nebu and every one else...
    Some one asked what is single coil and what is a Humbucker....
    I can go into a whole thiesis on this.. But to make it short and simple ... SINGLE COILs are the pickups you see on the normal standard FENDER Strats and teles.... Humbuckers are what you would see on a LES PAUL..
    Single coils GENERALY have a CLEAR, BRIGHT, PUNCY TONE.
    Humbuckers GENERALY have a SMOOTH, WARM TONE.
    Single Coils tend to produce a HUM sound when close to Florsent tubes ext.... Humbuckers cancel out this Hum hence are called humbukers...

Attached Files:

16. uj_6string

^^^thankz man....i got the general idea of it....

17. uj_6string

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I like Single coils in the Neck,,, they give you nice clear sound for chord work... MOST Humbukers tend to sound Muddy in the neck... For the Bridge I normaly prefer a HUmbucker.. But at times I love a single coil.....in the bridge...

19. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

single coils are those thin, pickups..with round steel things protruding.
    humbuckers are of two of them kind of stuck together, for more heavy playing..

20. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

so u need something with single coils and humbuckers.. aka - yamaha pacifica. anyway.. good luck with teh guitar shopping do upload a pic! good luck,.