are truss rods in givson guitars adjustable

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by saurabh_taylor, Nov 27, 2005.

1. i wan,d to know if givson guitars truss rod can be adjusted

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

nope,nothing happens when i tried...

3. shak

shak Harrr!

then .. err whats the point in havin them? i mean if its non adjustable there shouldnt be a nut and a bolt assembly! ..

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hahaha...good question :))

5. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Never tried adjusting but each Givson guitar I've seen says "adjustable truss rod."

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Truss Rods in Givson are adjustable. Infact they are there only for adjustments if the neck gets warped. Otherwise they would have a neck without truss rods. A lot of even great guitars come with no truss rod.

7. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey everybody Givson's "ADJUSTABLE TRUSS RODS" are crapp. I have done two of them with no success at all and all i had to do is make new ones for them. The alumunium channel that anchors the curved rod is no match to the tremendous string tension. More so the head of the truss has a very bad allen slot that does not accomodate the usual size allen keys at all. I had to file down my allen keys to fit them but then......the nut just gives way by not withstanding the torque and the allen key just eats up the slot and leaves it round not hexagonal.
    The attached images are of a truss rod i removed from an old guitar for a writer guy in bangalore. Look at the screws holding the strip to the neck. This neck had fretboard screwed onto the neck since there wasn't much gluing area. The screws went through the dot markers and were covered up by pearl dots. See the huge nut head. The rod is 8mm in dia. Phew.

8. Luthier

Luthier New Member

The ....."TRUSS ROD" :shock: :think:

Attached Files:

9. Luthier

Luthier New Member

This the fretboard with the under-side showing all the rust, glue and screw mayhem.

Attached Files:

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Luthier. WOW. You should post more of that Givson and show how crappy is that guitar. Firewood Guitars.

11. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey Ronnie, Sorry but i dont have photos of that givson. But the pics that i posted were of a guitar that was a copy of FENDER JAZZMASTER. It was a guitar from a time when all indian made guitars were look-alikes of SG's, THINLINE's, JAZZMASTER's etc. That guitar was the kind u can see in movies. Mithunda in "i am a disco dancer", RANI in "KKHH".
    But i must say ....that guitar had a good pickup with alnico bar magnets and good coils and sounded pretty ok on other guitars when i checked it.
    But the body of it was only an inch thick with the neck hopelessly high and string action that would cause one to beg like leppers.

Regards

luthier

12. shak

shak Harrr!

@luthier .. .. yeah that is bad! that is really bad .. hey i dont understand .. how come the channel is flat? .. i thought channels are made out of lateral cut box tubings?? .. and 8mm rod!!! lol .. no wonder it wouldnt turn!! .. haha how do you suppose to bend an 8mm rod using nut and bolt assembly to compensate for the bend in the neck!! LOL LOL ..
    by the way .. thanks for sharing the knowledge ..

13. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Ronnie : A better statement would be..

"Truss Rods in Givson are adjustable. Infact they are there only for adjustments WHEN the neck gets warped. Otherwise they would have a neck without truss rods. A lot of even great guitars come with no truss rod.

14. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

hey....ummm wats a truss rod?i mean its function...n yea....is this a truss rod just beside the strings? if not..then wat is it?ive seen it in many guitars n wats its function?

Attached Files:

15. Luthier

Luthier New Member

Hey har1s. A truss rod is used to compensate for the bowing effect of the neck of the guitar. Previously centuries ago there wern't any truss rods and the two woods of the fretboard and the neck below would be enough to take care of the string tension and more so the strings then were gut strings.
    The truss rod is used to stiffen the neck by not allowing it to bend upwards. The rod locks the neck in place and structure.
    The pictures below show a double acting truss rod and a single acting one respectively.
    The first pic also shows carbon fibre rods in the bass neck.

Attached Files:

vini likes this.
  16. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

hey....thnx @ luthier...now i get wats a truss rod.. :)

17. see folks ur so confused i'll tell u there are two or three companies in india operating in india.the largest and oldest has a label inside thIER( A RED AND GREEN) guitars. which u can see from the sound hole.other dosent have it. i have the other one it plays better than the orignal.check out (givson.com) if ur guitar matches whAT THEVE SHOWN THEN ITS THE FIRST ONE .NOW THE PROB IS TRUSS ROD IS ADJUSTABLE ON WHICH ONE