Anyone heard of John Mayer

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by rabi_sultan, Feb 7, 2005.

1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

yea dude i like hsi guitaring and songs a lot. in fact i arranged this dil chata hai song based on his guitaring style.. check it out

http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~jayen/IGT/Kaisi.mp3

I call it the no such thing mix.

here in america no one listens to the bands we discuss here on IGT.. well i take that back.. desis form india living in america do..

but acts like john mayer are huge.

u find ppl going blah blah over malmsteem and blitzkrig and vai and stach and blah blah

but i havent seen any thread on how cool finger picking in the neon is.. by john mayer .. so i found it heartening to see your thread.
    :rockon:
    Jay

3. rabi_sultan

yeah to be honest i never heard of him or Robert something i keep forgetting his name its driving me mad. He's a lap steel pedal guitarist who plays that lap steel as a lead Hendrix style guitar sounds really amazing. Just saw both these guys plus loads more when i was watching the Crossroads Festival that Clapton organised last year. There's a great intro for a song by Mayer in there (at first i thought they were introducing John Mayall and was thinking, damn he looks a little TOO young lol) which he plays with the plectrum, i'm pretty sure about it, its got a Hendrix-esque style intro to it really great piece of guitaring right there.

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

he is def one guitarist whose songs i learn all the time.. cause his acoustic strummign is very cool. i am not motivated to learn finger picking too..
    when he started out they called him a dave mathew clone (another band we dont here much here on IGT).
    he has since established a name for himself.

Jay

5. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

my favorite john meyer songs:
    no such thing
    neon (acoustic version is AMZING cool finger picking)
    your body is a wonderland
    clarity (acoustic version is AMAZING)
    why gerogia

since he is more of country rock.. i dont think indians listen to him that much. for some reason country is uncool in india but heavy metal ultra cool. both are very rightwing.. so i find it very curious why one genre has a cross cultural reach while other doesnt.. as both are essentially conservative republican whites only genres...

Jay

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

when i was new on IGT i used to post english tabs ..stopped it since as it is meaningless www.olga.net and a 100 other such western sites have a comprehensive listing of all english tabs)

anyways here the john mayer tab i posted.. i got one courtesy reply from disturbed :p:

http://www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=4292&highlight=John+Mayer

i shamelessly arranged the dil chahta hai song based on this song

http://www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=5957

thats were i got ideas for chords like Csus2/A etc :p:

7. rabi_sultan

i think country rock is mainly unpopular due to its (mis-)association with country music.

Now there are many differences between country/folk rock and normal country/folk music and most people in India, Pakistan and the world don't really recognise this. Its why you lose many great musicians because people are just not interested in finding out who ZZ Top, John Mayer and acts such as these are because they think this music does not exist.

in any case thats my guess and the obvious exception to the rule, there always is one, is Bob Dylan.

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i agree. maybe i should start a sticky thread amed country rock/southern rock 101
    with introduction to cool country rock/southern rock /70s american rock bands like lynnard skynnard, jimmy buffet,marshall tucker band etc

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I have heard 'your body is a wonderland'...nice...now that u guyz have brought it up..i will try out the other songs too..I like country style fingerpickin kind of songs.....and ya..i believe Indian junta listen to Denver and McLean ??....

10. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

awesome music , i dun think so can enjoy it all the time ....

11. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah he is very good...i like the way he incoprates his guitar with his singing...and a nice voice too may i add!!....my favourite is the opening riff to "why georgia"...
    one thing that i learned from was the "string slapping"... really nice :)

12. rabi_sultan

i just remembered the name of another god of music for that style of music.

if anyone can check out the finger plucking of Chet Atkins that guy is simply amazing.

13. shak

shak Harrr!

^ well of course...who can forget him :)

14. purple_riots

purple_riots New Member

hm......u guys heard of ur body's a wonderland,clarity n bigger than my body??
    the lyrics are superb n his guitar playin absolutely rockin!!
    hes one of the coolest new kids on the block.....no doubt that ;by the way anebody noes the tabs for wonderland....?

15. purple_riots

purple_riots New Member

yea well ive jus listened to american pie n starry starry nite...i think mclean is awesome n the lyrics..too!!

16. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Aw hell yea!!!
    :dance:

i got a chance to go to one of his minor shows..pretty cool. :)
    i love his 3x5 among others

17. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^I can sing like John Mayer, problem is only faggots and girls want to listen. Mostly the former....

18. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

aw pshtt...^he looks queer..but some of his songs are really nice.