Anyone else applying to Canadian Universities?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Mr. Scary, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

December is approaching and I've got tons of applications to get rid of. So far I've recieved some consideration from:

-Fordham
    -West Virginia University
    -Butler University
    -Layolla University

All these Universities are located in the U.S though. However, I'm more keen on returning to Canada, having already a house, family and friends there (plus by having a house in the Greater Toronot Area permits me to not having to stay on campus).

Here's the deal, I plan on ending up here: https://www.db.erau.edu/ for my Master's. I plan on doing my first initial years in Canada (or if i seemingly see fit, i may transfer on my second year, hopefully being accepted by Embry Riddle ofcourse). Does anyone know of any "good" Canadian universities offering programs for students studying Mechanical/Computer Engineering? I have been away from Canada way too long and is completley oblivious of the educational system there.

Is completing my initial years in Canada and then transferring to the U.S reccomended? Should I consider some of the U.S colleges i listed earlier? I already have the S.A.T scores i need (2200 total on the new S.A.T, 760 on S.A.T II for Biology, 780 for S.A.T II Math) and also sufficent AP exam scores (a 5 on the AP Biology exam and a 4 on the AP English Composition exam).

what are my shots?

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

oops ...
    u are an under grad ...

i know about the US scene in the grad schools ... underdgrads ... hmmm ...

which field?

3. Mr. Scary

Physics related

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

I'll most probably go to the UK, but canada is also an option.
    The subject is very similar as well. :beer: Physics & Chemistry.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out University of Alberta. It's pretty good. It's better than most American Universities.

6. Mr. Scary

Thanks alot Ronnie.

7. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Strange that The University of British Colombia isnt anywhere to be seen.

8. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Hey,
    I am doing mechanical at University of British Columbia....and i think mechanical prg here is gr8! It was rated the best in Canada by Mclean's! only ratings for canadian universities!....

acutally for something like Mechanical i would advice...some old Uni i mean....well established....but for Computer ....best in business r Waterloo and Simon Fraser!

Computer at UBC is quite well established aswell...have some freinds in it....but somehow simon fraser beats UBC in the tech advancement in compt sector......

something like mech needs good infrastructure! another class univesisty would be

Queen's my supervisor was from there....so i know a bit!

lemme know if u need any more info!

ur best option is to check.....websites and get the last copy of Mclean's where they rted university...cos tht is the only recogonised system for rating in Canada

Good Luck!

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hey scary i got this list from a frend,
    this is a list for US Schools for Physics:

CalTech, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Standford, U Cal Berk, Cornell, Univ. Of Chicago, UIUC, Columbia, U Cal-Santa Barbara, Yale, Univ of Maryland College Park, Univ Mich Ann Arbor, UT - Austin

they are considered to be the top-most notched

10. Mr. Scary

Hahaha i dont see myself going there directly from highschool, perhaps maybe for my masters or hopefully through transfer. I'm just not cut out to be Ivy League material right now.

11. Mr. Scary

Dude, thanks for the kick ass info. I did consider that University, but I was more keen on Ontario or Quebec since I've already lived there and have house/family in those two provinces.