Anybody played around with windows vista?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by lord_neo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Nothing can help a bad checksum. Though you probably have a nice fast connection which means you can get hold of it again if you want.

Well if you don't use XP much you can always compress that folder right? Do you have RW access to the partition from OS X?

2. zing

zing Machine Head

linux is free as in FREEDOM not as in FREE BEER - its abt giving consumers a better deal rather than feeding monopolistic corporate greed
    short of a complete rewrite i dont think nething can fix windows eccentricities which even redmond isnt aware abt - u cant dynamically un/load modules w/o a clean kernel code ..... which is the one thing windoze dont have - i havent seen ne mention of this in vista features

3. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah .. cant help the bad md5, and am on a decent connection, still it would take another couple of hours to get the files .. oh well ..

yes you do get RW access to the partition from OS X, only if its FAT32 ..

since vista needs NTFS hence i ran the 'convert c: /fs:ntsc' command and now OS X gives me a read-only access ....

frsutration frustration!

4. thehundredthone

@zing: The very people who want an alternative to "feeding corporate monopolistic greed" make ungodly demands on the developers for features and faster release cycles. It's these people who end up causing closure of projects because they do not understand the community - if you want something done you have to do it yourself or be active in the doing of the same. Isn't that how the whole GNU/Linux thingamajig came to be? But the people who use linux and don't cry for each new feature that comes out in software for another platform, and are content running a version that works rather than has a higher number, and use the OS for something other than DVD ripping and "hacking", those people I respect.

@shak: Do you use Windows XP? If not you can probably strip it down so that it doesn't take as much space, and then delete it once you have Vista up and running.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

^i can, but do i really need to take so headache for vista? i thought vista was supposed to make it easier! (the only easy bit that i have seen so far is that you dont have to put the serial number in during installation).

anyhow .. got an RC2 DVD from a friend last night ..ran that and guess what?? LOL i know you would think i am kidding .. but i got a BSOD! apparently macbook's (read apple) display drivers are not compatible with vista, so when i runun 'update' vista tries to force the drivers causing it to BSOD just before it starts, and to top that, disables my keyboard during boot so i cant go into repair mode either ..
    :) i guess i'll try visa with bootcamp next time .. cuz now weekend is almost over and its back to work.

6. thehundredthone

^^ I've heard of success stories with bootcamp/parallels, so I guess that may be a better option.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

^ yes same here, but i dont want to pay for parallels, also i am low on ram (1 gig) .. so bootcamp it is!

8. shak

shak Harrr!

... finally installed vista .... ABSOLUTELY hated it!!

why have they made it so complicate? and so heavy on the pc? .. i have a very very decent system here and still i was getting 2.0 as the vista experience!

aero didnt work on my system, could have forced intel drivers but didnt wanted to, so i had this really sharp blue and black GUI, and the control panel and star menu are so much more complicated!! ..

the icons were all translucent sea green .. god my eyes were burning in 5 minutes ... plus the screen black whenever you try to mess with the system settings or install new softwares asking for permission .. nag nag nag! ..

used it for 10 minutes before coming back to xp!

9. koi screen shot nahi liya?

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

11. shak

shak Harrr!

@lav: .. .naa .. wasnt worth it .. believe me ... maybe it will get better when we finally get the real version . (and i get bootcamp vista support)