Anybody played around with windows vista?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by lord_neo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

It was meant to be humorous (perhaps a :p: smiley there would have helped)...in that I like YouTube but unfortunately long work hours mean I cannot spend as much time online as I used to (tone of voice is difficult to convey over the Internet). I did not mean to imply that I have a job and others don't (in fact most IGTians I know in real life are working).

In any case, this discussion has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'd rather not continue. I apologize if you felt insulted in anyway.

@shak: The article you pointed out itself mentions that Xerox filed a lawsuit against Apple for copying their idea of a GUI for personal computing.

2. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

^ No worries :p:

What about the implementation of the dreaded DRM system?:shock: Anybody experinced it?

3. death_metal_fan

I can provide some useful resources on DRM implementation in Vista:

You can read this extremely thorough cost analysis:
    https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

After which you should read:
    https://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/2006/12/31/windows_vista_drm_nonsense
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista#Digital_Rights_Management
    https://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061229_001403.html

DRM is evil no doubt, but the blame has fallen squarely on Microsoft (for the most part) for the wrong reasons.

4. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Excellent! Thanks

Kind of sums it all up.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

yes .. but i think you accidently scrolled the intended article .. anyway doesnt matter . .i never said apple doesnt copy .. and its not only xerox that apple has coppied .. .apple has copied, solaris, OS/2, NextSTEP, and so on .. but you cant beat em when it comes to innovation.

g0g0l likes this.
  6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

+1 <3...........

7. shak

shak Harrr!

^ .. btw ... 'um'=apple

8. zing

zing Machine Head

dunno exactly how many other OS our windows fans have tried?:think:

u cant claim ur puddle is the best when u never seen the ocean .... i mean, for every single buggy windoze [cr]app there r 100+ GNU linux / freeBSD apps that do the job faster, better, and TOTALLY FREE OF COST

comparison? what comparison?

just bcos linux doesn't shove its features in ur face on TV doesn't mean anything - GNU, linux, FSF, open source apps KICK REDMOND's ASS!

don't take my word that linux is the BEST SOFTWARE ON EARTH -- try it first! as a s/w user, u owe that much to URSELF :)

9. death_metal_fan

Yup, Apple do come up with some pretty interesting ideas and some of their products are really unbeatable when it comes to ease-of-use, flair and overall appeal.

10. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Do they run games?

11. zing

zing Machine Head

12. zing

zing Machine Head

13. shak

shak Harrr!

^ i have personally used linux for a long time (fedora primarily) ..
    and to be honest linux has an extremely steep learning curve which often leads to frustration ..
    once i had only linux running on my pc and that drove ma bro crazy!! so i had to install xp as dual boot (GRUB aint easy) ..

the small things like getting a complete multimedia ability using/compiling binaries and installing them takes a little too long for any casual computer user not to mention a whole lot complicated, save the geeks who love 'bash'-ing .. all day long...

then there is the problem of updating your rpm's .. and not knowing if the software that you want so badly, has all the pre-requisite rpm's or not...

then off to rpm server ... making requests and getting them .. one after another ...

aah .. i rem it took me a whole day to get mplayer's GUI running back then ...

frustration brought me back to the world of xp .. and BSOD's have now brought me to the world of macintosh .. that i dont plan to leave.

14. death_metal_fan

^ To be quite honest with you shak, I have never seen a blue screen on Windows XP. The only reasons for XP to BSOD is either you have ridiculously ancient non-ACPI compliant hardware or very poorly written drivers.

XP as a platform is extremely stable and Vista has just topped that.

And on the Linux learning curve note, you should give Ubuntu a chance.

15. zing

zing Machine Head

when hollywood wants to squeeze $$ frm customers they strike deals with micro$oft [to enforce DRM on vista] - but when they actually make movies they use linux... talk abt double standards

16. zing

zing Machine Head

stable as compared to what? the previous version? thats not saying much :)

here's a stability test:
    try running XP/Vista for one year without rebooting [linux does it all the time]

17. shak

shak Harrr!

yes i agree, it is either ancient hardware or poorly written drivers 90% of the time, but microsoft should cater for them as welll!! i mean not everyone have access to post-millenium hardware these days?

i for example still have a pentium 3 machine at home! (used it as a router before i got my wireless) .. had some pc133 vs. pc100 memory clash and got a BSOD atleast twice a year ...

i've seen BSOD on relatively latest hardware as well... saw one last week! was installing xp on my friends delwer pc and got BSOD during the installation . .thought it was a memory problem but turns out his hard disks needs RAID drivers ..

but i do agree that windows as a software isnt at fault here .. its the non-compliant hadware .. and apple has rather cheated in this respect .. make your own hardware to go with your software .. no clashes no problems.

@linux: i'll try ubuntu .. but i've always thought fedora was better than the rest .. hows knopix and yellow dog?

18. shak

shak Harrr!

speaking of vista .. i have a vista RTM rel. 6000 on my hard disk and i plan to install it on my macbook just to see whats the fuss is all about ..

dont have a DVD burner so im planning on using the daemon tools ... and now it turns out that the bootcamp NTFS partition is non-splitable non changeable ..

so i have to install vista on the same partition as the ISO .. that means no clean install . .only upgrade XP option. do you reckon it would work? or any other ideas?

19. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I hate how Linux is just a way for people not to pay money for their OS.
    Depending on what you want to use the OS for primarily different distros will serve your needs. There are also some source-based distros that let you squeeze out the last drop of performance from your computer by actually compiling the source based on the flags you choose. The most well known example is probably Gentoo Linux.

My XP install has never given me a BSOD. On the other hands I have managed to get kernel panic as well as an fs flush on my SourceMage GNU/Linux installation.

@shak: I don't think that having the ISO on the same partition will prevent a clean install. You can still choose to do a fresh install on the same partition. AFAIK it won't really destroy the ISO image so the install should be successful.

@zing: The reason that companies use Linux for their CGI purposes is because distributed computing is well supported on the *nix platfrom.
    Regarding the stability of Windows, the architecture upto XP is such that dynamic unloading of modules does not exist, so when you change certain system files or some such you need to restart the system. I think this has been addressed in Vista.

20. shak

shak Harrr!

^ but wont the same partition clean install put my present xp files in xp.old folders? i am already low on hd and dont want anymore scum ..

formatting before clean install means no more iso .. :mad:

but anyway .. couldnt install vista cuz apparently md5 checksum wont turn out to be right .. corrupt download or something ... tch