Anybody a Jazz lover here?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by edbrown, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

@acoustic12- By Harmonize I meant adding the 7th note since it's the first step towards getting into jazz chords. What hundredthone said is the reason why.

The 3rd and the seventh are usually the most important notes in a chord...often called guide tones because the third decides whether the chord is a major or minor and the seventh decides between major 7th and dominant. The fifth is the easiest to do away with or tweak (sharp 5 and flat 5). The root is often implied by the bass as you rightly pointed out.

and yeah, they have to have a 7th. Extensions are usually continued.

C- CEG
    CM7- CEGB
    CM9- CEGBD
    CM11- CEGBDF
    CM13- CEGBDFA

Note that extensions actually contain all the notes of the original chord and are extended by one more note. However, on a guitar you can't always play so many notes at once so you do away with a few notes (usually the 5th and the 11th).

However, when you're playing these chords on a piano, you play different chords with each hand to get the full chord.

eg- CM13 = CEGBDFA

ACE make an A minor chord. GBDF make a G7 chord. So you play an Am/C with your left hand and a G7 with your right hand and you have a CM13 chord right there.

It's logical. What is a little difficult is to be able to think this out on stage which is where shitloads of practice comes in handy.

Disclaimer: While I think what I'm saying is correct, I'm on shaky ground so if any of what I've said is wrong I'd appreciate being corrected.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The logic behind this is that Jazz music often uses a lot of dissonance. Dissonance tends to make you sound off key on lower octaves.

Even when you're using notes technically "outside the key", using them on higher octaves always sounds more acceptable. It's one of the techniques they use to change keys on the same chord. Another technique is to repeat a pattern of notes for some time and once your mind gets used to the pattern, to repeat the same pattern with different notes.

3. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

what r tritone substitutions??

4. strumming_bilu

strumming_bilu New Member

I'm into jazz. I listen to more guitar jazz than trumpets and their ilk i think. Anybody here listens to Larry Carlton or Robben Ford? Great players.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Yes. Not so much Robben but I adore Larry Carlton. That solo of his on Kid Charlemagne floored me.

6. Rickystaflin

Rickystaflin New Member

Download Latest rap and hip hop songs.
    mp3 downloads taiwan
    space - free mp3 download
    how to save a life mp3 download
    saving mp3 download
    raindrops-stunt free mp3 download
    duncan james amazed mp3 download
    weird al yankovic free mp3 downloads
    souad massi free mp3 download emuisc
    top mp3 downloading sites
    free anime mp3 downloads
    bien golosa remix mp3 download
    rhythm of the night mp3 download
    epik high mp3 download fan
    beautiful girls mp3 download
    free mp3 download faith no more last cup
    calvin harris the girls free mp3 downloa
    hindi songs mp3 download
    sofia essaidi mp3 download
    puppet - thousand foot krutch free mp3 d
    disciple mp3 downloads
    free enter shikari mp3 download
    mortal kombat mp3 download
    compare prices mp3 download
    mp3 download free itunes
    free mp3 download of dildariyan by amrin
    who let the dogs out mp3 download
    rescue me mp3 downloads
    ancient mp3 download
    https://www.dacait.com/?do=mp3searc...NhY2hlMi9uZXcgY2FjaGUvY2FjaGU3LzI1ODQzOC5tcDM

7. detritus

detritus New Member

I just copy songs from youtube. :p

cheers, shall check it out

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha hey whatever works for you

9. detritus

detritus New Member

Listened to a few tracks by larry.. well, to put it short, turns out it was blues that i liked, not jazz :p

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

doh. What kind of blues though...the sad kind or the amusingly self depriciating kind?

Try Keb Mo for the latter. or maybe even Muddy Waters or any blues band till 20 years after Muddy Water.

11. detritus

detritus New Member

Listened to some of their stuff, not quite what im looking for.. the lyrics dont matter so much, but the playing style im thinking of is kind of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZvL0bTUro sorta faster blues playing on the electric..

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

dude, almost everybody want to try this style. You need to listen to-

*drum roll*

Jimi Hendrix.

and If you're looking for instrumental-

Pat Methany

also maybe Eric Johnson(though he's sweeter), Joe Bonamassa,

I recently went to the One Tree Jazz Festival and Bernard Allisson played a very similar style to this. He was very versatile though.

13. detritus

detritus New Member

haha i never even thought of trying hendrix.. his stuff is quite similar to what im looking for, Killing floor has been my favorite from the few i just listened to. Didnt like the rest of the people you suggested though..
    I listened to some BB King, and i liked that quite a bit. Any artist suggestions similar to those two?

Also, the One Tree jazz thing sounds familiar. Where was that?

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

One Tree is apparently a yearly event. This year it was at the Tajland Ends.

and the truth is everybody loves B.B.King. A near clone of Hendrix was Stevie Ray Vaughn. In some ways, more impressive but his roots belonged to Jimi. You'll find loads of his stuff on youtube.

someone like b.b.King is difficult to find. Also check out his brothers Albert and Freddie King (seperate entities).

Some other blues people with distinct styles-

Robert Johnson
    John Lee Hooker
    Eric Clapton
    Chuck Berry
    Muddy Waters
    Robert Cray

Alvin Lee- Check out Ten Years After. Rockish band...Alvin Lee can rip my guts out. One song in particular which almost always depresses me is "The Bluest Blues" though it's not really blues.

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Don't you dare shove Eric Johnson into blues!

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I did not! Each of these guys is very different from the other (which is why I didn't put SRV in when I put in Hendrix).

I threw Eric in since he's very pleasant to listen to. To be honest, I don't like him a whole lot but still enough <3

17. detritus

detritus New Member

Il give the guys you mentioned a try.. see the thing im interested is the guitar, not so much the singing, in fact id definitely prefer instrumentals. Im liking Jimi Hendrix but only because of his playing, would like it more without the singing in quite a few cases.

Like this guy for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV65wrdSlVs
    If i could get some good albums with that kinda stuff id dl that.

About the One Tree Jazz. uhm. i meant what city.

18. edbrown

edbrown New Member

any specific jazz singer or number you like to play? i would love to hear the sample music song lyrics!