Any Smaller AMP than the Roland MicroCube???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Is there a Smaller Amp than the Roland Micro Cube?

Actually I usually hav to travel at my friends place for Jamming. I face lot of problems while carrying Roland Amp and the Electric Guitar on the bike.

I was thinkin of a SMALL device or an AMP(Smaller than Roland and easy to carry) along with distorted and a Clean effects and should be pretty loud enough.

Is there any alternative??

2. adore_prashant

adore_prashant New Member

3. mymusicmyguitar

WOW....thats really good....thats what i am talking about.

But that's a battery powered Amp.

And i read reviews about it on the net that the distortion isn't that great and the sound is really really very low....

4. DagMX

DagMX New Member

well thats a given. A smaller amp will obviously not be as loud as a bigger one.
    and smaller amps usually have worse distortion since they aren't made for discerning people.

if your friend has a decent speaker system at his place, then you can get a vox amplug. just plug the output into his speaker system.

otherwise just deal with the microcube.

5. mymusicmyguitar

yes i can plug the output into the speaker system. That wont be an Issue at all.....

But the vox and even the Marshall MS 2 are battery powered.

Anything which is not battery powered but which runs on Electricity using Adapters..

I have heard that the batteries dont last more than 4 to five hours. And our practice goes on for Hours.....

6. DagMX

DagMX New Member

you won't find anything below the microcube then.

the vox amplug is rated at lasting almost 15 hours per pair of batteries.

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

A processor??

8. DagMX

DagMX New Member

yeah, he could get a line6 pocket pod. Nice and portable, has a power supply as well as batteries

9. mymusicmyguitar

line6 pocket pod ???

I even need a distortion pedal..

I am ready to spend

Small Amplifier - 5K
    Distortion Pedal - 6K

Any recommendations on that? I would like to spend on sumthing which can be used for LIVE GIGS as well

Vox Amp is meant only for distortion.. No clean Sound on it..so cant buy that one.

10. mymusicmyguitar

Can some one just brief me bout the difference in processor and Pedals.
    According to my knowledge.. A single Pedal will be used only for a specific sound. Like Delay or Distortion..And processor will giv a wide range of sound in single Unit.

So which one should i go for??

Should i start collecting Individual pedals or go for a processor??

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

By small amp do you mean the likes of microcube...If yes, then you wont need a distortion pedal,cause you will have distortion built in and an external pedal wont necessarily sound good.
    Now, you could use a micocube in live setup(by taking line out to PA) but you wont be able to change tones....

Your best bet would be to go for a processor maybe something like the zoom G2.1u...If you have a decent speaker systerm that would suffice.....But remember that you cant use pedal this way(i.e straight to a speaker system or PA)...

If you dont have a speaker system you can buy a Stranger Cube 20 or 30.....i may get flamed for suggesting a stranger cause they are not a guitar amp, but they have a good flat response best to set tones for a live set up...
    Lot of times i have seen band using a traditional guitar voiced amp to set thier tones and then use the same tone live, needless to say their tones sucked....

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

the main difference in your case would be amp modelling....you cant go direct to PA from a pedal...you would need amp modeling+speaker/cabinet simulation for that..

For using pedal you have to go thru a GUITAR amp and then mic the amp to PA...
    the Guitar amp give the output its characteristic tone and the speaker cuts out a lot of the higher frequency sounds.....

13. DagMX

DagMX New Member

the pocket pod is a processor, but it has amp modelling etc..so you can plug it irectly into a speaker system and wont need an amp.
    you'll have a wide range of sounds too.

Line6 have the best digital distortion anyway

14. mymusicmyguitar

I saw the pocket pod....
    The problem is what if i hav to switch in between the song from

Clean to distortion...some delay effects.
    I play a lot of Floyd and Slash's stuff. Slash's tone is quiet

thicker. Floyd a lot of Delay, Wah effects, Clean sound, classic

rock tone solos...Man how will i handle all these on that small

processor. if i buy that again i will hav to keep switching with my

hands.....

On my microcube i keep adjusting the knobs to get the sound i need

but that means taking pauses in between a song which is

frustrating..

i was plannin on buying Distortion, Delay, Wah pedals.....which i connect to my Roland amplifier and will giv the output to the speakers(while i play live)...The same will be for the Jamming sessions as well.......correct me if i am wrong......

15. mymusicmyguitar

lol.....the threads being dragged away in another direction :) by me...
    So now 2 questions.
    1 - Small Amp - For small amp. I will try out the VOX Amp Plug. I will see if i get clean sound by reducing the gain on it. And the other options which u people hav already told me...

2 - Pedals or processors?? - Need ur valuable suggestions and guidance......

16. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

the vox amplug IS a processor...with just 1 effect i.e an amp model

add just a 100 buck to that and you can get a digitech Rp50 processor It has 7 amp models+effects like delay chorus, flanger, footswitches to change tones,headphone out for quiet practice nad you can give its output to the speaker system for practice...

17. mymusicmyguitar

Vox Amp Plug is for 2500...
    Digitech for 2600.....Sounds interesting...I got to check that one as wel...

What about the pedals???

18. mymusicmyguitar

19. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

sorry i ment 1000 bucks...

20. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

only thing i am trying to say is the amplug is a piece of carp.....as for the pedal/processor thing you have to csnsider your budget....

Processor would come cheaper than getting individual pedals...and pedals wont necessarily sound better unless you have a decent amp...