Any reviews on the following pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Pedals shortlisted based on price constraint:
    -Digitech Hot Head Distortion
    -Digitech Grunge Distortion
    -Digitech Death Metal
    -Behringer HD300 Heavy Distortion Pedal

Requirement: Wanna play Hard - Heavy...Which wud include Glam, Trash, Death, Punk, Sludge metal genres.

Budget strictly upto 4k.

Are the above mentioned pedals similar to the Boss DS series? If yes then a big NO for those.

Just helping a fellow friend. Also these products are available for sale on sites but cudnt find them in stores for trying out so wanted to know if anyone is been using those or any ideas or suggestions...

2. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

3. deepsal

deepsal New Member

no no no no hell no
    go to youtube and listen to dr boogie pedal
    if you like it google dr boogie schematics,send it to ansar and ask how much he'l take to build it

4. mymusicmyguitar

Well its something that we need urgently..Few friends of mine including me are actually planning to gift our friend a pedal for his b'day....And we all know his music taste...

I am sure ansar would take lot of time to build anything and that would be a gamble...

I listened to the demos of digitech grunge and Death pedals on youtube and on digitechs site. I found Grunge pretty solid on bass and Mids and distortion was pretty distinct as compared to Death metal pedal which was more fuzzy and shrill distortion and low on mid..bass...

Atleast anyone can give me some idea by listening to the demos....or suggest any other pedal below 4k

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

EHX Metal Muff
    MXR Fullbore metal..
    They may not fit your bill but they are really good..
    No idea bout digitechs

6. deepsal

deepsal New Member

i'd say metal muff but i'd also suggest adding 2.5 k more and giving him a pocket pod+headphones will do him more good than a dist pedal into a mg/spider/cube/stranger amp

7. mymusicmyguitar

Damn Metal Muff is for 7.8k on bajaao. May be be can ask him to chip in if he really wants it :p ..And i dont think so anyone else wud hav that pedal except bajaao :x

How is Metal Muff in comparision to Boss MT2? Better Sounding or almost the same?

One more question...why not Digitech? any problems or drawbacks with those pedals? Coz they are really fittin in our budget and from the demos i found them pretty decent

Pocket pod isnt a good idea..he loves pedals....

8. guitarplayer729

dude there is also the x series hot rod

9. guitarplayer729

there is also the digitech x series hot rod

10. mymusicmyguitar

Hot rod is not that good..

11. guitarplayer729

then i guess u go with the death metal
    he will like it if he has no pedal(i guess thats why u r gifting him)
    every person likes his first pedal

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Where are you gonna buy from? Now please dont say Bajaoo..
    Go out and check them yourself.. Wats the fuss about?

13. mymusicmyguitar

Definitely not bajaao...Bajaao buys stuff from furtados..If i dont get it there that means i wont get it at Bajaao as well..And i had called furtados they said they do not hav any of the Digitechs in stock at the moment :( ..So left with no option except listening to the demos..

And yes he has few boss pedals....but not great distortion..

Also an option to gift High Gain Bridge Pickup upto 4K :p..

If not a pedal then definitely we wud buy some Dimarzio high gain Passive p'up for him..lets see...

any suggestions for high gain Humbuckers suited for metal?
    -Seymour Duncon
    -Dimarzio

14. deepsal

deepsal New Member

i think that there is a micro metal muff to
    you can also gift him seymour duncan blackouts ahb1 bridge pup its the shiz man its the shiz

15. mymusicmyguitar

Found the Digitech Death Metal pedal at Albertos..Didnt like it at all.. The Boss MT2 was thousand times better than that. It has a plastic dry tone..Didnt like it.

Pedals option is out...Wont be buyin it coz there is nothing else in that price range...except the Behringer model HD300 which is said to be a replica of Boss pedals(Boss MD-2)..

SD blackouts not available..wud take time to get those thats what i was being told..:(
    I think Dimarzio Paf pro and evolution bridge pickups are also an option....I was plannin to get the bridge pickup on my fender strat changed with one of those recently...

16. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

In the 4k range there are no good pedals for high gain. I would've recommended the Metal Muff if you had the budget.

A high output pickup isn't going to do much for sound through a solid state amp. Can you tell us what his existing gear is?

17. deepsal

deepsal New Member

stay away from behringer distortion pedals how about gifting him a barbie?

18. deepsal

deepsal New Member

19. mymusicmyguitar

His current setup hardly includes anything..Some delay and a Boss DS1. He has a good marshall 50W amp though..

It was decided not to spend on any crappy pedal within 4k...we are givin him cash 4k. He will chip in and buy sumthing that he likes later on...

:p I might end up buyin sum distortion pedal in the near future ;)..I will definitely check out metal muff at that time..

20. guitarplayer729

u shud hav gifted him the md2
    btw 4k is not a bad option in cash