Any Queries about Drums..

Discussion in 'Misc Musical Instruments' started by rjm12, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

hello everyone..i used to play drums in my school band as i mentioned in my intro..we went for many competitions but didn't win any..ha ha..
    anyways but i feel we've had some experience and i would like to share it with anyone in need..
    we used to bunk classes, school..once we even cheated our principal to play in Pepsi Storm'02..that was real fun..
    so keep hittin the skins hard....

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Where exactly is the hi-hat supposed to be placed
    pics would be greatly appreciated

also want to know about sitting posture
    is the snare supposed to be between the knees (thats how i play)

3. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

till most i have seen and felt..drums are a freestyle kinda equipment..you place it wherever you feel comfortable..now that doesn't mean you stand and play..or put everything on opposite sides..

don't use a chair..use a stool with adjustable height..that doesn't have any armrest etc..adjust the height so that you are comfortable with the pedals..i used to adjust it so that my calves and thighs are 90deg..

now you adjust the other parts of the kit..let the snare be where you keep it..
    hi-hat : adjust it's height so that when you hit it ur forearm is just short of 90deg to the upper arm..
    and basic aim to keep urself comfortable so that you don't get tired soon....

4. upneja

upneja New Member

yea i will like to know about the drums i wanted to learn but could not so switched over to the guitar i can play dhol very well

i will like to know about how to start learning about drums beats etc

5. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

sry for replying so late..was off to manali..
    anyways about starting to learn playing drums is an easy task..find a teacher..he'll teach you the basics about position and timing..will also teach some basic beats like waltz etc..once you get ur hands easy on them..it's all up to you then..listen songs and play..enjoy....

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

hi....how to you fill up a drumset? i heard pillows into the bass drum and cotton for the toms...are those right?

7. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

i love tht part..i call it "healing the kit"..
    just like doctors put bandages to patients....
    so wht i used to do was..for the bass drum, fill it up as you've heard..
    with any cloth like old material, pillows, bedsheets,
    once i also used a curtain to pad it..and then put the second skin back on..
    for other toms use cotton and doctor tape, stick em on the back side of the skin..and a litlle away from the centre....
    nothing for the snare..except if you want a little flat sound then tape it on the lower skin..i hope you got it..
    and remember first tune ur kit..then tape it..then tune it again..
    all the best..and do tell me if this post helped....

born2tab likes this.
  8. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

good thread rjm12.
    Reps for u

9. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

How do you go about learning to play drums .I mean like we learn tabs ,chords,scales.etc for guitar what is the process with drums.

10. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

good question..even i was wondering it

11. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

learning drums is to play it..now that's for every instrument..
    but 1 thing about drums is once u get ur hands on them..
    you play them right the very first time..it sounds good in every beat..
    the only thing left to do is get the techniques right..so tht 1 becomes an 'Efficient' drummer....
    thank you for the response....

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

how do u tune a drumset? im having great trouble tuning ....

13. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

even i don't know that..i mean i used to tune it just like that..never found ne1 who could teach me..and i never knew if i tuned it right..my basist used to tell me if it's sounding good..
    anyways you can do 1 thing..listen to any song..the types u play..try matching ur snare's tone with it..and the rest accordingly..
    you can also try matching ur bass drum with the E of the bass guitar..i
    t'll be of much help if u can actually have someone do it for u once....
    i've sold my kit..or i would have invited u to my place..[;)]....

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ok...i heard you gotta tune it to C?

15. rjm12

rjm12 New Member

oh sorry..i guess u heard that right..i used to do it for our practices..so had tht in mind..i should have asked someone....