Any laney users?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

U wudnt believe this..Bajaao usually charges more for all the items but this item is listed very cheap. Only 18600. I had called up Furtados this morning and they quoted 23500/- :). M soo sure that Bajaao has very old stock and the chances of me getting it at such a low price are zero...Lets see...

@Wylder - I actually heard the sound samples of this LV series and compared it with LX series. Sounded good much better than SS amp. Moreover if i am lucky enough to grab this at such a low price then why not ;)

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You are in Mumbai, where lot of stores are there.
    And yet you haven't tried these amps to check whether the t00b-tone is really your holy grail or just another cup of tea that you won't even notice!

As wylder says - its the power amp section t00bs that really make the amp sound that way. And THAT is the reason why they always say crank the volume up.

Cranking the volume knob up has no effect on the pre-amp saturation or tone.
    The job of pre-amp is to bring the guitar signal to line level (or whatever reference level used by musical instruments).
    From here on, pre-amp signal as well as FX return signals are amplified in true sense by the power amp section.

3. mymusicmyguitar

@alpha1: No shop out here stock the LV series except the Bajaao. And at furtados they rudely mentioned "if you want to buy then only we will open the box"..So cudnt try it there as well.

They had Laney LV100 series to try which i did..But it has a Tube Emulating Circuitry which is totally different than whatLV200 boasts about..Well but I liked that sound too..

So in LV 200 the tube in the PreAmp section would have no or very less effect on the tone? i somehow find it a better deal than going just for the SS amp

So as per the configuration you doubt about the sound quality and the pedal taking capacity of the LV200?

My aim is to get a GOOD TONE by using PEDALS along with a good Amp...dont want to use an Amp as a standalone else i wud go for one of the VOX Valvetronix Series which has awesomein built effects..

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

First of all you need to understand why the valve amps are considered as the ONE for getting good tone.
    There is nothing good or bad in the tone (as mentioned by someone, they felt the valves slow reacting to play Pantera metal riffs, and hence SS amps).

The reason why the t00bs are considered the holy grail is because there were no SS amps when electric guitar was rising in popularity. All the artists used vacuum tube amps.
    Those amps were clean amps without any gain/drive/dirt settings. Just to amplify the sound coming from electric guitar to the stage louder than other acoustic instruments.

If you have played unplugged, you will realize that acoustic guitar is one of the quietest instrument among all the ensemble.
    Drums are the loudest, brass are lesser, reed and strings are further less in volume.
    And among the strings - guitar has the least volume.

SO back to the amp - amp was used to make guitar the loudest.
    Soon ppl realized that they get slightly dirty tone, with companding, and sustain when they increase the volume knob to 10.
    And THIS TONE started getting popular.
    After this, ppl just tried to get more refined tone, but the setup was same.

Some time later, ppl wanted to get the same tone at lesser volumes, and introduced pre-amp based overdrive.
    Which means your pre-amp valves are overdriven, and they produce the distortion, but the loudness which is controlled by power amp remains at bed room level.

However, ppl realized that pre-amp valve sound is not the same as power amp valve sound.
    And that's how it stand today also.

In fact today, SS/digital emulation has come pretty close to pre-amp tubes in getting the tone.
    Power amp distortion is still some way to go (especially in dynamics department).

Do you know in a double blind test, you might not be able to tell SS emulation apart from the tube circuitry.
    So please decide first whether you are really willing to die to get the tube tone.
    Then realize that the tube tone that everyone wishes to die for come from the power amp section.
    Then realize that your budget is less, so save and accumulate money to buy a full fledged one.

And in the mean time just get a cheap loud SS amp.

Of course if you found the tone of Laney to be good - then by all means go ahead.
    Its your ears who should decide, not my mind or this thread's opinions

1 person likes this.
  5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

A good amp will certainly help you but there's no guarantee. A lot depends on your playing. Anyways all the best for your hunt for the sweet spot...

6. wylder

wylder Member

Sound advice in the above 2 posts (alpha1,rickkyrich)..

From my experience, it really comes down to this when you are getting new gear: Better gear by itself does not make a better player.

You become a better player if you practice till you get your technique down to perfection. All that the new gear does is to inspire you to practice more. This is why I would recommend you to hold on to your money so that you won't have to buy something half-heartedly.

Whatever you choose, hope it hurts when you pay for it and take an oath to not make a waste of the money you just spent. Instead make it count by practising your behind off.

7. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah i completely understand what u all r trying to say..But somehow i just cant get the tone that i want...i do with my Roland and love the sound but not with Pedals.....and moreover my current amps dont go well with pedals...And i really DONT MIND spending for an amp right now coz its really a high time to upgrade the gear and tone.

Well i hav already placed an order on bajaao..And Laney LV200 65W IS IN STOCK....Hopefully by monday i should get the delivery of it...

Yeah i like the Tube sound no doubt. But i also like the Tones that my Roland gives me...and also like the tone that my Overdrive pedal gives when used with Marshall..But it lacks something..So i am looking at a wider range of tones here..Hopefully this new Amp would take me 1 step ahead towards my tone.

Will post some video soon if i get the amp on time as promised by bajaao

8. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

i want to buy the boss metal zone price?
    and i use the lx12 amp laney gud for practice

9. mymusicmyguitar

Unfortunately Bajaao wont be able to deliver Laney LV200 :( .. Said that they have a very old stock and the Amp is not functioning properly. God knows what stupid reason is that...

Bajaao guy suggested to go with the foll..
    VOX VT40+ which has a tube in the Preamp as well
    Orange Amp - Asked me to check out the models on their site

But thats not what want...What to do now??

10. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

visit laney.co.uk and see demos of the amps that u may like
    like lc/lg/lx/lxd/gh

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

First thing to do is .. change ur signature :p:

12. wylder

wylder Member

Lol... The guys at Bajaao can be horribly hilarious at times... I ordered a Chorus pedal last Jan and it didn't turn up. Apparently they had exactly 1 piece and it was malfunctioning (they had confirmed its availability on their site before purchase too). Finally I got a refund after 4 months of them trying to source it from their supplier!!!

Try Furtados Online (Furtadosonline.com : Laney, Guitar Amp, LV200, 65W) or Saptaswara musicals (https://www.saptaswara.in/store/western-instruments/guitars/brand/laney/3/35).

13. mymusicmyguitar

lol....changed my signature dude..Now thats the new amp that i am getting :p ..Confirmed with Bajaao Price 20900/-. After Discount 18800/-

I had checked this model last week..Was completely blown out by the heavenly tube tone..So decided to go for it since i am hardly left with any other options except going for SSAmps..

14. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

huh !!! Again bajaao.. some people never learn...

15. mymusicmyguitar

Dude 2K..thats a lot of money...Cant help it...10% Discount is a lot

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Even furtados offers that much discount.. at least here in Bangalore

17. mymusicmyguitar

Nope furtados guys rudely spoke on the phone when i asked them about the discount. They said if Bajaao is offering you that price then go buy from them and kept the phone. Sounded very rude...Thats not a way to talk to customer like that...

18. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Bajaao can be risky if anything goes wrong with your amp.. i wonder how their post sales service would be like.. did you tried bhargavas and albertos?

19. mymusicmyguitar

Albertos is better for less expensive stuff...Bhargavas is good..but they dont have laney....

Also Bajaao has 14days money back policy wherein you can return the stuff if anything is faulty...

Dont know how well the service wud be...Also their office is close to my place so can go and catch hold of them anytime... :)

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Why do you say that.. AFAIK they have some nice expensive stuff with them which includes Egnater, Fulltone and the likes...
    Anyways good luck for the amp.. hope everything goes well..