Any laney users?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Tube amp will anyday give a lot better tones compared to Solid State no matter what pedals u use along with it......Getting an amp with FX loop would be better like I told u earlier as u can cut off the preamp section of the actual amp n use ur sans amp there....Tube amp is just an other amp with a different circuitry in it.....it has nothing to do with the genre or distortions.....its just how ur signal is being amplified....and Tube Circuits amplify the signal better than Solid state interms of sound.......Tube amp can suffice all your needs as well as mine....Unfortunately I cant afford it at the moment ! lol

And dont worry about Wattage.......a 10w Tube amp can be as loud as a 30w SS amp.....as u cant max out the volume of a SS but u can max out the volume of a Tube.....hence cranking a SS upto to certain level before it clips is same as Cranking the Tube to max which wont clip....Hence same output.......

Dont do a lot of research and confuse urself.....Different ppl will give u different opinions which will confuse u....Since u said u like the tone of a Tube....just get it.....

2. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Tube amp is the only thing that can give u the 100% feel of all those bands u mentioned........Id say Laney Cub or get a Custom amp built by BE3........If wattage is not an issue for u and u want a top class tube amp sound.....get a Vox AC4TV.....

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Well BE3 boasts about the hand wired tube Amps. But its only 5W(Brat Series) u get as compared to 10W Laney in the almost the same price range ..Worth the price? Any idea?

And also want a tube amp in which the tube can be replaced like how we replace the bulb :)

4. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

I have never tried the BE3 Amps dude.....only read every where that they are good for money.....However I have tried both Laney Cub and Vox AC4TV....and Vox is where heaven is at.....But its only 4w amp........If I were u I would get the Vox AC4TV 4w instead of a BE3 which is 5w at same price range.....Reason is simple....Vox is the king of tube amps....and Brand Power which would help if I want to sell it in future....

And dont worry about changing the tubes....they all are same procedure.....Not exactly like changing a light bulb tho....lol....U may have to open the Tube panel.....a few screws to screw :p
    The actual drawback would be Finding the right tubes which are Russian made and price..........Welcome to India , where we charge thrice the amount on all foreign goods...So that we can improve our country , which I don't see happening since I was born... !

5. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah i understand that there wud be lot of screws involved. Thats not an issue. The problem with replacing the Tube is when it is SOLDERED. Hope laney and vox models aint that way. Again just 4W..Hope my pedals dont go waste.

Well there is a difference in the Brat series which says they are HAND WIRED. Vox and the Laney series that u have mentioned isnt..Right now searching on the net for understanding hand wired amps. Not soo lucky yet :( ...

6. wylder

wylder Member

Hmm... That's kinda what I hoped a tube amp would provide when I planned to buy mine.
    Unfortunately, the answer is no... You cannot get all that in any amp. A good deal of what you hear as sound has a lot of variables starting from the effects, guitar, fingers, pickups, picks, strings, technique, note choices, preamp and power amp tubes, micing, mastering. In fact, Andy Timmons might sound more like himself through a Les Paul and JCM 800 than you through Andy's Ibanez and Lonestar/Stilleto.

You can however get similar gain levels, sustain etc using the amp and maybe a handful of good effects. With time, you will fall in love with a few tones with your setup and the only thing you will need to change will be the drive knob and maybe a bit of eq.

7. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Soldered tubes ? I dont think so...Never came across that term....Tubes are attached to the circuit externally....a slight shake and pull will release it from its holder I think......Hand wired or Machine made circuit.....I don't see a difference.....If u find something from ur searches let me know as well........

8. mymusicmyguitar

Picked up from the BE3 site
    "BE3 Amplifiers utilises a specially designed Board which acts as a turret board found in amplifiers of the classic Hiwatt/Harry Joyce style or the classic Fender and "plexi" construction methods. Here although a Board is used, there are absolutely no signal traces on the PCB. This allows us to maintain the qualities of a Point-to-Point construction methods hence avoiding signal loss compared to pcb based construction methods where signal traces on a pcb suffers from signal degradation. The amps constucted in traditional methods are durable and are easy to modify and repair. Poorly built pcb based amps suffer from cracks in traces when it undergoes long periods of stress especially in combo amps. Since a lot of expertise and labour is required to build a hand wired point-to-point amplifier, they are much more expensive than a cheaply built pcb based amp. The durability and a better tone of hand wired amps makes it an attraction just like hand crafted guitars"

9. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

That might be a lil bitta true and false.........But ''pcb based amps suffer from cracks in traces when it undergoes long periods of stress especially in combo amps'' ??? Seriously...PCB traces crack ??? If I am ryte....Computer Motherboards are nothing but a big PCB which goes trough a lot more of stress than a Amp would ever....I havnt seen any cracked PCBs unless u crack it......May be hand wired Circuits use a better quality electronics but this PCB cracking thing sounds funny.....How many amps have u seen that died because of a PCB Crack ?

Since u are from Mumbai , why don't u personally go and check out the BE3 amps and then Compare it with a Vox AC4TV/Laney Cub/ Or any other SS and pick which u like the most.....

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

In my opinion there is not much difference between hand wired (HW) and PCB based in terms of sound...Advantages of HW are that they can be easily repaired and modified and they are expensive because of the time and effort spent on them... The disadvantage of Laney Cub series is the driver they use.. Celestian Tube 10... whereas ansar will use a Greenback which will significantly change the sound.. Hence the comparison is not justified..

11. mymusicmyguitar

The Be3 Amp is really far away from my place. 1 and half hour of one way travel. So i will go there only when i am sure that i need that amp. So yes i will visit one of the shops nearby to check if they stock any of the Tube Amps in my budget. Lets see.
    If i dont dont anything good then BE3 is what i am left with with the following desired configuration
    So the Brat series need to be modified to my specifications. Lol i soo wish that the price remains the same ;)
    Original Brat Series config as posted on their site
    •5 watt (RMS) in 4,8 ohms
    •One EL84 and One 12AX7
    •Simple Volume and Tone Control
    •External Speaker Socket
    •Biased as Class A
    •Prices for Different configurations :
    ◦1x10 Combo with Tube 10 Rs.10000
    ◦1x10 Combo with G10 Vintage Rs.13000
    ◦1x12 Combo with Greenback or Vintage 30 Rs.15000

My requirement:
    10 Watts minimum
    Class AB (dont want class A due to shorter tube life)
    Two EL84 and Two 12AX7
    1x12 Combo with Greenback or Vintage 30
    Simple Volume and Tone Control
    External Speaker Socket
    Non Biased- need to be able to change the tube myself. Not sure if i am using the proper term for it but thats what i meant. I think Ansar should be able to figure out what i mean.

M I missing anything?

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

The specs that you said will cost you some 20-22k from BE3 i guess.. I asked for almost the same specs sometime back from ansar..In fact i asked for the same specs as the Laney Cub 12...without reverb...

13. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

That would hit hard on your budget I think ...... Biasing has nothing to do with tubes removal ! lol
    U really are worried about changing tubes...arrent u ?

14. mymusicmyguitar

@JaxyNikil - Lol :)..U guessed it right bro. Knowing myself that is something that i really want to avoid. Yeah biasing is somewhat related to the tube removals.
    This is what i read on the net that if the tube needs to be biased then i difinitely need to take that amp to a technician. So its as good as techician replacing the tube for me
    If the tube doesnt need to be biased then i can change the tube myself without any hassle.

By the way which part decides the Watts? 5W,10W,15W on. Does it have to do it with the circuitry the diodes and all other stuff?

lets see i will call up ansar and talk to him. Lets see how much he quotes for this config.

15. mymusicmyguitar

@rickkkyrich - Just spoke with Ansar. He suggested the Solution 18 Series which is similar to my required specs. Gosh thats more than 20K. Not affordable. Well he said the Brat series should be good enough to be used along with the pedals. But Brat series is a Class A amp which means tube replacement within a years time..

Lol...m drifting back to laney LX65R again and also the HCM series. I am going tomm to check out all other available options...

16. mymusicmyguitar

Had been to 3 shops today..useless..Didnt get to check out what i wanted..But checked some Rolands, Laney 35D...They are good standalone amps i shud say..

I found this on Bajaao site (10% discount for 2 days :))
    LANEY LV200 65W - 18500 - 16650 after discount

It has a Tube in it but its not a Tube Amp. Weird. Will it be a good choice over Laney LX Series??

17. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Good deal.....take it.....

18. mymusicmyguitar

i hav placed an order 4 the same. Hope its in stock. Will come to know tat tomo. But wat difference wud tat tube make? I read reviews on the net and its rated high over the laney lx series and moreover recommended 4 use wit pedals

19. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

That tube is used in the Preamp circuit.....its more like a Hybrid amp.....With both tube and SS technology........
    Which is kinda cool and economical.......the saturation of the tone is handled by the preamp and the loudness and clarity is maintained by the poweramp.......So in this amp u will get the warm tube tone with the loudness and clarity of a SS amp......I think Unless u crank it up more than 50% of the volume , u will get amazing sound from this compared to any other SS in same range....
    And Bajaoo guys are too lazy.....In my experience that is....I had bought a ESP EX50 from them and I also paid for air shipping......the said Ill get it in 4 days max....but got it after 1 month......Ill never buy expensive stuff from them again......Another thing is most of the times they don't pickup the calls.......

20. wylder

wylder Member

Pre-amp tube might not be all that amazing to spend a lot of extra money on. Pre-amp tubes are responsible mostly for the gain and fizz (clipping) in your tone and not the clean, warm sustain that the power tube section gives. So if you are paying a lot more for a hybrid, you are better off with the SS. Also, consider that you will be getting most of your preamp distortion/fuzz off your pedals.

Why dont you hold on to your money for now, save up a bit more and 6 months down the line get the amp you always dreamed of? And keep an eye on the used market just incase one pops up.