Any laney users?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Well as u can see that i have this Sansamp Tri Ac which has Fender, Mesa and cali modelling effects. Does that mean that the amp that i will buy shud have the circuitry to support these effects or else they all will not sound that great even if i buy a 50w+ amplifier. Or are these called as Modelling Amps...Do i need to consider this feature as well?? just a bit confused :(..

Dont wanna make a wrong decision this time...else i will be kicked out of my house if i invest more money later on... :(

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

All you need is a good sounding amp.. Without looking for any inbuilt effects or modellers..concentrate on the cleans sound.. Thats it...Rest the pedals are there to take care...

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Okay I couldn't be bothered to read everything here in detail, but here's what I meant, which you've misinterpreted.

1. The question of headroom does not exist on a solid state amp because it doesn't break up after the volume is pushed past 5-6 like a tube amp does. It goes straight into clipping, but only when the volume's around 9-10, and that's hard clipping which is harsh, something most guitarists don't want in their tone. Tube amps only stay clean up to a certain volume after which they start to break up. That's called the headroom. Higher wattage tube amps have more headroom because they can put out that much more power before they begin to break up.

2. The output of the amp has to be paired with the transducer, in most cases a speaker. A 100W amp will blow a single 30W speaker if plugged in at full volume. A 10W amp will give you crappy sound through the same 30W speaker because it just isn't driving it optimally. Wattage does not equal volume. Volume works in log10. 100W is only twice as loud as 10W.

3. I did not say solid state amplifiers suck. My LX35R can give me decent sound when dialed in right.

4. The Marshal MG 50W and upwards sound significantly different from the 10-25W amps in my experience. Perhaps the circuitry is different, it's not just the difference in volume.

5. The Sansamp pedals are called Sans-amp for a reason. They're meant to go straight into a cab or PA. There's no special circuitry required.

4. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Exactly what I am trying to explain which many have misinterpreted

5. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

There is no such thing as special circuitry amp.....Like rickky said all u need is a clean sounding amp......I think that Sans amp is just a preamp......not a poweramp......So u may not be able to run it directly to a Monitor/Loud Speaker.....Just make sure if its only a preamp or Both preamp + poweramp.......If its a preamp only , getting an amp with FX Loop option would be a good thing.....so that u can cut off the Preamp from the actual amp and use this Instead and let the power amp in the amp take care of the main Amplification ( Volume ).......If u get an amp without FX loop and us this sans amp with it....it might sound comparatively bad....as u will use 2 preamps ( One from the sans amp n one from the actual amp ) , No matter what u tweak ur sansamp.....the sound will be tweaked again by the Preamp in the amp which wont give u the 100% sound of ur sansamp....

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

no one misinterpreted you man...

7. mymusicmyguitar

had been to furtados todaY. Checked both 35r and 65r models. But didnt buy any :(. 65r model has a fxloop within it. Another guitarist over there was playin a strat thru a tube amp. The sound was heavenly soo different than laney clean sound. Was blown out completely. Plannin to go to some other shop tomo to check out other options if any. Hope to get sumthin better

8. mymusicmyguitar

i think i'll go wit one of the laneys. checked on the net for other options and also the bajaao site. Didnt find anythin better than laney models. 35r is for 9400 and 65r is for 15600. Help me choose one. I played from both the amps and here is wat i felt. I used a digitech hot head distortion and a yamaha pacifica. Some how i loved the distortion sound on the 65r model coz the clean channel had its own reverb, mid and bass. This was not present in 35r so the distortion sounded crappy. Now does tat mean the hot head distortion is crap? Or 35r hav crappy sound? Or 35r just exposed the sound quality of the distortion by givin true output? Plz help in clearin the confusion.

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I think you shud look for the Laney Cub 10 or 12 also.. Cub 10 will come for some 12k and it takes pedals very well.. its loud enuf to be heard over drums.. Changing tubes is not a very frequent process anyways... and i dont think you play too often so they are gonna last you for some 2-3 years easily... If i was you i wudn't have bought any solid state amp.. my 2 cents !

10. mymusicmyguitar

i practice everyday 4 not less than 3 hours and over 7-8 hours on weekends. So tubes will degrade much faster may b in less than a year. So tube amps are out of option 4 me

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

If you play that much then you surely need a tube amp...:p:

12. mymusicmyguitar

Dont u think the tube will degrade within a year or so? Coz i have confirmed it that if u play for like 2 hours a day u will need a tube replacement within a year or so. Not like ur amp wud stop working..its just that the tone wud change. :(

Bajaao has this Laney HCM 65R model which is for 12500/- and featurewise its similar to the Laney LX 65R model. I dont see any difference in between these two except the price..Correct me if i am wrong.. Also HCM is an older series than LX..

Any thoughts??

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Sorry man.. but i've no idea... You can also look out for the Fender Frontman 65R...

14. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Even I had plans to buy the HCM 65R a few months back....Couldnt find one to try so never bought it......
    About the tubes....Its really not about how long u play in a Day.....its about How long you play in high volumes ?
    U play loud , U crank up the amp which will make the tubes break up and distort.....thats when the tubes are strained.....which will kill them faster......But I really dont think those tubes will die within a year even if they break up every now and then......I had read somewhere that Russian made tubes last for a life time compared to Chinese tubes......Laney Cub uses chinese tubes.....IMO... a proper Tube amp is totally worth everything u spend on it.....

Its funny how we have to pay so much money for the old technology ( Tube Amplification ) and Solid States are so cheap.......Crazy world....

15. mymusicmyguitar

yeah u r right. I spoke to ansar of be3 amps. He told me the same thing. Moreover he even told me than sumtubes can b replaced like how u change ur bulb. So its easy maintenance. I might go wit the brat series soon :)

But again any of the tube amps in my budget r jus 5w to 8w. R they worth it wit along wit the pedals?

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Aye.
    And we should be working on ENIAC sized computers.
    And listening music on vinyls, that have problems with consistent speed/pitch, but of course we would ignore that and talk ill about the sterile coldness of digital audio.

Do you really wish to use your Sansamp pedal?
    Or you want to buy a new amp for its tone?

If its sansamp you wish to use - then buy an amp which allows line-in or FX return loop, which takes the pre-amp section of the amp out.
    Sansamp is like a pre-amp.

But, the pedals like Boss metal zone etc are NOT. They do require guitar pre-amp.
    So you make a choice.

In fact if you plan to use the sansamp, don't spend money on guitar amp. Get a keyboard amp. For the same price you will get bigger wattage.
    Solid state equipment is easier to make/maintain (mass production), and is more faithful in sound reproduction (in general), and of course smaller in size (universally).
    Any wonder that it nearly wiped the tube amplifier market away?

Old technology is always more expensive, since its less economical.

17. mymusicmyguitar

gosh its gettin really confusin now. Followin r my questions:
    Does that mean tat tube amps wont giv a gud tone when i use it wit my current setup?

Laney 65r has a fxloop within it. In case if i plan not to use sansamp wil this amp b good enuf to give me a range of tones wit different pedals?

R tube amps meant to b used only wit overdrives? If yes then this means restrictin myself 4m using different pedals so as to get true tube sound.

Well which one wud b a universal amp which wud suffice all my needs?

18. wylder

wylder Member

Hey, here's my experience with Laneys..

I use a LC-15R (tube) at home for practice and our jam room has 2 amps - an LX20R and a stranger cube 40W amp. I played an Ibanez RG into MI Audio Tube Zone (OD/dist) then into a Beta Aivin Delay pedal.

Tube vs SS: The difference here is huge. I find both useful for different things. We are currently attempting a cover of Cemetery Gates by Pantera.
    I find my tube amp at home is too soft/slow on attack for Dime's rhythm sections. It isn't nearly quick enough when you palm mute and strum. Ive tried maxing out the treble but that just kills the tone of the amp.
    For solos, the tube amp gives you awesome compression and lets your notes flow. Legato becomes so smooth and sweet to hear. Pick attack is not very painful to the ears but very clear attack is still present. Cleans? The SS is nowhere in the ballpark compared to the tube.. i love a soft compression on my cleans that only the tube provides, a compressor in front of SS amp is not even close.

Stranger vs Laney: I guess these are pretty similar, given that I wasn't maxing out the volume on either of these and I was using only the clean channel with my OD pedal. Here again I guess the major difference would simply be the speaker cone size. The Laney having the smaller driver gives a lot more pronounced treble and is useful for the piercing pinch harmonics but sufferes in the cleans department due to lack of bottom. I couldn't really feels much of a difference otherwise between the two as there is no compression whatsoever in either of the amps so playing the string softer or harder on cleans doesn't really make a difference. The difference in touch depends totally on your drive pedal when on OD. I would opt for the Stranger if I am more of a rock/blues or clean tone oriented player and the Laney for enforcing ear-bleed...

P.S. - Stranger vs Laney is a little unfair as the 2 are compared on price constraint rather than picking 2 similar amps. Try a Laney with 10" or 12" speaker and the story might be different.

19. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

I only referred to the Solid State amps interms of guitar amp.....Not the other electronics :p

20. mymusicmyguitar

Can tube amp(in my budget of 15K) give me the following tones when accompanied with pedals?

1. Heavenly sound of Floyd.
    2. Good fat thick lead solo tone like Slashs
    3. Overdriven sound like Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan
    4. Tone similar to Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine

Well which one wud b a universal amp for me which wud suffice all my needs?

Damn u never get to check the Amp models that u desire in the shops out here :(