Any laney users?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Finally have managed to save some money to upgrade the amplifier...Budget <18k.
    Shortlisted 2 so far...
    Laney LX 35R - Approx 10-12K
    Laney LX 65R - 15300/-

Remember i want a clean amp which i can use along with my pedals...

Well i did check out BE3 amps but want to stay away from Tube Amps at the moment. Dont want to go thru the hassle of changing the tube every year...

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I have not used either so no comments .. btw what exactly you wanna do? Play gigs or for bedroom practice?

3. mymusicmyguitar

Well its kind of for both..But 60% of the times will be using it for jammin in not soo big room..

But after some research its clear that more power = increase in pedals performance. Coz more wattage gives more Clean headroom which results in a better tonality...correct me if i am wrong. Thats why going for 50W+ this time.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Yes i also think high wattage will do more justice to the pedals due to more clean headroom... anyways wait for some Laney users to reply... but you better check on other forums as well... TGP, HC etc...

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Err. Clean headroom? On a solid state amp? What research did you do? All headroom on an SS amp is clean headroom. SS distortion is something no one ever wants to hear.

I own an LX35R. It's plenty loud to jam with, moreso when coupled with my 707II. The overdrive channel is decently responsive, to the extent that it's my preferred channel now. I gig live with this amp, using the phones out currently but I'm going to mic it at my next gig.

Buy the 65R if you need to drive a huge cab with multiple speakers with it or jam with a truck engine, otherwise I think the 35R is enough.

6. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

+1 , I wish Solid state amps were never invented.....

@ mymusicmyguitar
    There is no point in looking for more headroom in a Solid State amp......Since to feel the difference in the headroom u will have to crank up the volume of an amp to maximum......which is definitely a bad idea to do on a Solid State as u must be knowing already that solid states will sound horrible when the volume is too high or too low......Unless u want a tube amp....dont bother about headroom.....

About the amps u mentioned.....I dont know anything about them.....But u can also look at a Roland Cube 30x.....Amazing cleans for the budget.....It may be just me , From my experience with 15w to 80w Cubes... I think Cube amps have the best cleans for a solid state amp given any wattage and Peaveys have the best distortions....

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I think when you take the volume knob half way, the SS amp will no longer be as clean as it was at lower volumes.. it'll muddy up the sound... That's wat he meant by headroom in my understanding.. correct me if i'm wrong..

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

and speakers also plays an important part in that.. look out for that as well...

9. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

@ Rickky
    I Dont know if that is what he meant.......Headroom that I referred to was the technical term...which Is the capability of an amp to produce same tones as it produces in Mid volumes even when cranked up......since no one would crank up an SS....I dont see d point of headroom difference in a 30w to 60w SS.....

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

The difference will be there in my opinion maybe because high watt amp will be generally big in size and will push more air.. but since i've not tried high watt amps much i cant be sure...

11. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Well even I havnt tried any High Watt amps.....Only tried a Cube 80x once while buying my processor.....I prefer amp modlers rather than the real mediocre range amps....for me an amp is just a Monitor at the moment :p ....I let my processor take care of the tone.....But Headroom for a SS doesnt make any sense to me....

12. mymusicmyguitar

I am not a tech savy neither I understand these headroom fundas so properly. All i understood from my research was that the pedals would give their true sound when played on an amplifier with higher wattage.

I have this Marshall 10cd which really sucks, both Sansamp tri Ac and Boss Metal zone sound one and the same and the distortion is too bad..or rather harsh and everything is really very noisy...many of you over here have already suggested good amps over good guitar and processor..

Laney LX35R is for 12K..So i might as well spend 3k extra and get a laney LX 65R. What say? I wont be playing it that loud at my home and while jamming either but wouldnt a higher wattage amp improve the sound quality at lower volumes as well???????

The Roland amps have all the effects in it. So dont want that..Want something with only 2 channels and possibly a reverb which i cant avoid...

Any other suggestions ?

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

In simple words..
    Put a Cube 15X on full volume.
    Put a Cube 80X at the same dB level and see which sounds more clear..
    I think it'll certainly be the 80X.

14. mymusicmyguitar

@Rickkkyrich - But suppose u have pedals in front of 15x and same pedal chain in front of 80x...which one would sound better at 1/4th of the volume??

80x.. m i right?

If yes..Why?? :)

Well need to know if i am making the right choice...coz i am going tomm to furtados to buy that amp...Still somewhere in the corner of my heart i am wantin to get a tube amp since i am spending soo much(but i get pulled back everytime i think of the tube replacement)

15. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

@ Rickky.....u are talking about Volume and loudness not headroom....Its obvious what a Cube 15x can do on full volume can be achieved just by slightly increasing the volume on a 80x....it has better wattage and better drivers which can handle that much of output hence the clarity in 80x.....

Headroom as it clearly says ''ROOM'' is the amount of Volume an amp can handle without killing the tone when it has been cranked up.....It has that much of room to handle it.......Which is definitely extremely useful in a Tube Amp as many ppl Crank up the tubes while gigging.......But Since u will never crank up a SS which if u do will produce horrible sound.....why r u bothered about headroom ??

@ mymusicmyguitar
    Even I think u should get a tube amp .....Sure u will have to take care of it once in a while.....but it gives u the true feel and warmth in ur tone....which is worth it IMO :)

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Jaxy i know wat u r talking bout and i agree totally to that.. but i was more focused on answering the query rather than explaining the technical jargon..
    FYI : a 100W amp is Twice as loud as a 10W amp...so slightly increasing the volume on a 80x is not gonna be enuf...

17. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

and btw... +1 for tube amp.. i'm also getting one as you can see in my signature...

18. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

I never said that a 10w amp can be louder than a 100w amp....I do know that a 100w amp does not mean its 10 times louder than a 10w amp.....I was just clearing the topic starters confusion about headroom from a solidstate amp.....as there is no need to worry about the headroom in a SS......I never said anything about the loudness .....
    Cheers

19. mymusicmyguitar

Chill guys...lets forget about the headroom...My only question is...Why wud pedals sound colorful on 50W marshall than the 10w marshall amp on LOWER VOLUMES(or possibly same volume levels)???? Any thoughts??

20. JaxyNikil

JaxyNikil New Member

Better quality and size of the driver....More Volume.....May be ?