Any expirience with the Boss Ds1?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Jan 8, 2007.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

No my friend. That just proves that I know what a real tube amp sounds like. Well, this has been debated over the past decades a lot. And I am sure this will be a hot topic for years to come.

2. yazi

yazi Banned

Earlier I did not have enough time or wish to argue. I will now put forth some scientific facts in. Though the transistors and tubes nowadays, have the same freq range and values( check cut-sheets), the ear tends to decipher a bit different than the oscilloscope. An analog tube's distorted signal has far more appeal that the clear sound of the transistor( I guess that is because, as we as humans, evovle towards order we create more of chaos, lol). Thats why musicians all over the world prefer analog over digital (I have a bit of studio exp, so trust me).

3. yazi

yazi Banned

But, in the end it comes down to individual pref.

4. yazi

yazi Banned

but take for example distortion. As u might know, there a phenomenon called clipping occurs( due to biasing). A digital processor gives you a hard clip on the signal while an analog gives a soft cipping.

From wikipedia:

Soft clipping

An important aspect of tube sound is the soft clipping characteristic of tubes. A tube amplifier will reproduce a wave relatively linearly to a point, and as the signal moves beyond the linear range of the tube (into overload), it distorts the signal with a smooth curve instead of a sudden, sharp-edged cutoff. The harmonics added to the signal are of lower energy with soft clipping than hard clipping, though the type of harmonics will be the same for both (dependent on symmetry).

This leads to a continous and soothing on the ear effect.

5. yazi

yazi Banned

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Actually.....Analog Circuits do clipping and Digital Circuits only model how clipping would have affected a signal. So both Hard and Soft Clippings are possible in Digital. I am an Electronics Engineer and a practising professional and I sure understand clippings and modellings :)

In your explanation, you have categorized Transistors towards Digital at least that's how I understood what you wrote.....Transistor based pedals are those Analog Pedals you use, like the most covetted Tubescreamer is based on a simple Opamp uA741 / RC741 / JRC741.

Digital is entirely a different ball game. The incoming signal is coverted to a stream of bits which are manipulated upon like mimicking clipping and other transformation......

Anyway, lets close if off here......You are taking it to a different plane....I never claimed Digital is better or Analog is better. I myself use a huge bunch of Analog Pedals. I was just debating on the point when you said Digital is unreal and my point was those pedals are equally unreal as the Analog Pedals...

7. yazi

yazi Banned

I know, I also have a bit of background in electronics.

By digital I mean to say transistor or opamp based circuits. Since musicians tend to call that digital, and I was not aware of your credentials, I used that term. The topic should have been tube vs trans, eh?

And ya, lets close it here.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No WAIT!

The differnce between digital and analog equipment, is not whta audience hear, its what the player feels while playing.

Even if you make the best digital emulator, that ppl cannot distinguish in the double-blindfold test, you cannot emulate the feel that a player will get fomr his favorite peice of equipment.

:p:
    Now we can close this discussion/thread.

9. yazi

yazi Banned

Ah Alpha, you had to barge in.......

10. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^He always Does :grin: :)