Another Wanna-Buy-A-Guitar Thread !

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Anik8, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

Okay here goes,
    ive been playing the guitar for about 1 and 1/2 years now. Ive got a Samick LW-20 Acoustic, and a couply of more mediocre acoustics..
    around 6-7 back i bought a Java Strat Type for 4.5k, bought a Digitech RP80, and Philips headphones..
    The java was decent, except it had a SSS Config, fret buzz on the 19th fret for the first 3 strings, quite badly made, the action was first too high, n when i made it lower, the fret buzz came out, the neck is pretty slow, not that good..Tones not all that good either
    The volume knob was what i found really funny..full vol at 10, as i took it lower no effect, then on 3 it suddenly decreases, and at 2, sounds off.
    quite a pain.

I play stuff like megadeth, foo fighters, creed, alterbridge, metallica, maiden etc.
    bits of trivium , bodom, but mostly just the rhythm part
    so im not lookin for the real heavy metal sound, and i'd want a particulary good clean tone too..

Ive been lookin up at guitars here and there...and I'd say my budget is around 10-12k, with a bit extra for a amp, around 2-2.5k

Ive looked at the Ibanez GRG270, and the GRG170DX, and both look pretty promising
    If i got something from out of india, i was thinking of a Dean VX/ZX/MLX
    theyre pretty similar, but theyve got zebra pickups, with give a sort of muddy distortion, which im not sure i want.
    one guitar that caught my eye was the Unnamed S-Series guitar as bajaao.com
    for 9k, with a floyd rose, it seems good, but since theres no real manufacturer, theres no guarantee that it'lll be good

I live in Pune, and as of what i know, there's just 3 decent guitar shops here,..
    Mehendale in ABC, and Awaaz and Music Palace in camp.
    Anyone know any other shops here ?
    Also if anyone's selling any second-hand guitars or amps, let me know..

From the sort of stuff i play, i dont think i really need a locking tremolo, but does a floyd bridge help palm muting in any way ? does it put out a better sound ?

any advice is appreiciated,
    and yeah , you can call me a newb, coz i really dont know that much..
    Thanks,
    Aniket

2. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i think you must ckeck out a squire. youll get it for 9-9.5k. and you should add the remaining 2.5-3 in your amp budget. you wont get a good amp with 2.5K.

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hmmm... I doubt if u can get any Deans in yours budget.

Try the Squires, They are prety decent guitars

The S series looks pretty decent, but I've been told the trem doesnt stay in tune. Not entirely sure abt this though. You could ask sridhar abt it. I believe he owns one.

I personally dont like the low end Ibanez's... They suck IMO

At your budget, the only other option is to go for a Tulsi custom. I own one and am completely in love with it. These guitars are great and there is NOTHING in this price range which can compete.

Now, if I were in your place, heres what I would do...

1. Sell all your gear (except mebbe the Philips Headphones)
    2. Now you should have around 12.5K + 4-6K
    3. Buy a Tulsi guitar
    4. Buy a decent amp with the remaining money

There.. now u have a good setup :beer:

4. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

the Dean ZX/VX/MLX costs 199$, and if i can get someone to get it from the US, then its pretty good...basswood body

yeah Tulsi's ive heard about those...made where ? which city i mean ? calc ?

and would a floyd rose bridge really be necessary ? coz that'd ad dlike 5k to the already pretty high amount, so is it really required ?

5. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

hey i own a ibanez 170dx which iconverted to left handed check ma thread........its a completely rock package or a metal package but the best part is that i got a roland cube 15 (6k) and the complete setup dosent need any processor or anythin it rocks man go for it

6. knopfler

knopfler Gear Guru

Also check out the Squier fat strats....amazing value for money and excellent sound.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Floyd Rose DONOT Aid in Palm Muting.

8. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Hey, this thread has helped me a lot!!! thanks to all of u!

All my Acoustics are from Mahendale, Pune. I have acoustic Signature with a Kustom amp taken from Mehandale...
    I am also planning to buy a Electric & hence all this helped me.

But, whats this TULSI Custom? Are they related anyhow to that Tulsi Market???

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Tulsi is a luthier. He makes custom guitars. I own one and am completely in love with it.

10. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

Okay,
    So far ive got everyone telling me to either get a tulsi custom made...or get a squier...
    1.Whats the difference betn a fat strat and the normal one ?
    2. I think ill need to go to bombay to get a good one, thats the closest place, so, other then Futardos and Bhargavas, can you guys tell me any other prospective places ?
    3.Is Jayanth Here ? he knows about tulsi right ? i want every detail about it...
    4.Who's Shridhar ? Id like to ask him about the S-Series..

11. Double Click

Double Click New Member

1. Fat strat has a humbucker in the bridge
    2. U could try Bajaao.com
    3. Ask ronnieanand abt Tulsi. U could also ask me but ronnie knows him better
    4. Sridhar is a guy on the forum. OYE sridhar WHERE R U?

12. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

a fat squier strat is a much better deal than the ibanez 170dx..and ya, i have heard a lot of praises for tulsi in IGT..there's even a link to his site on this site somewhere..
    apart from bajaao.com , you might want to check out Reemal Investrade in mumbai...for fenders,jacksons
    bajaao.com is selling some guitars at really good prices now..

13. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

Okay, ill put a post up here when im going to BBay ,

How about a Ibanez GRG270DX or a GXR 370 ?

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Buy the Squire fat strat, at Rs 8900/- on Bajaao. Its unbeatable in terms of quality and vavlue for money

15. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Sure it does. It requires less force to palm mute a floating bridge than a fixed bridge. Of course it goes without saying that a decent guitarist can palm mute both types with no problem at all. ;)

16. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

alright, this is really confusing.
    um, id love to talk to one of you guys more easily, ive a lot to ask..does anyone use MSN ? you'll can add me on ani_k8@hotmail.com

I hope there arent any rules saying that giving out private information isnt allowed, if there is, then im sorry, but im a bit too desperate, and this way is, well, too slow..