Andy James album review

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by sgt.misery, Jun 9, 2012.

1. sgt.misery

sgt.misery New Member

Alright I have never done a review before though I constantly read many of them. After hearing every track of this album at least 80 times this is my first attempt at reviewing an instrumental solo album :)

Album Name : Andy James
    Album Artist : Andy James
    Release Year : 2011
    Genre : Instrumental Metal/Shred/Guitar Virtuoso
    Rating : 9.5/10

Tracklist:

1. Legion
    2. Angel of Darkness
    3. The Storm
    4. What Lies Beneath
    5. Burn It Down
    6. Into the Void
    7. Dust in the Wind
    8. Separation
    9. Gateways
    10. Bullet in the Head
    11. War March

Andy James has been around for quite some time. Starting with his 1999 release "Machine" followed by "In The Wake Of Chaos" this album is Andy’s 3rd instalment. And somehow every time he seems to be getting incredibly better. Being a guitarist myself the first time I heard of Andy James is in one of his Lick Library lessons. Now after so many years of hard work Andy is slowly evolving into a more complete guitarist. Inspired by the likes of Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Zakk Wylde and John Petrucci, Andy somehow seems to be getting better than his inspirational counterparts.
    Starting with an eerie background score and a superb sweeping intro this album kicks off with the song Legion. Leading onto further complex fretwork Andy sets the strings on fire with “Angel Of Darkness” one of my most favourite songs in this album. One thing certain with Andy is he never loses touch with melody in all his fearsome shredding. “Angel Of Darkness” leads onto perhaps my most favourite track of this album “The Storm” where he shows his supreme alternate picking skills. And speaking of alternate picking Andy crosses all boundaries of this very technique with “Burn It Down” and “Bullet in the Head”. At one point of time while listening to these songs I felt Andy might have got just better than the mighty Paul Gilbert in alternate picking but again when I listened back to Viking Kong realized Paul is an alien when it comes to alternate picking.
    Something very prominent in Andy’s style of playing is his tapping skills. To be honest I am yet to hear a guitarist with better tapping phrases than Andy James. Also very notable in his style of playing is how much string skipping and octave ideas the guy applies while playing.
    A very prominent thing about this record is the rhythm work. Despite of all his complex shredding and face melting solos Andy never neglects the rhythm keeping the cool groove alive always with his powerful rhythms. The track “Gateways” show cases Andy’s legato skills. The album also has beautiful ballads with very touching melody lines in songs like “What Lies Beneath” and “Separation”. What is remarkable is the guy’s superb phrasing skills where even when he shreds full on in a balladesque track it never sounds like he is cramming too many notes or sounds out of place. I really fell in love with the melody of the song “Separation” which clearly showcases how much feelings Andy puts behind every note and how expressive his guitar sound is.
    Overall this is probably one of the best guitar albums I have heard till date and trust me I have heard many guitarists and their solo work, starting from Jeff Loomis, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Petrucci, Satch, Tony Macalpine, Greg Howe, Andy Timmons, Vinnie Moore, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson etc etc the list goes on and on, but very rarely I have heard such beautiful combination of rhythm, melody and shred. The album, unlike many instrumental albums, doesn’t sound monotonous at all. Somehow every time Andy manages to spice things up or slow them down to make it a really enjoyable ride. Recommended for not only all guitarists but for every listener worldwide. Andy James rocks. \m/

2. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

where did u get this album from

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Landmark store perhaps?

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

or maybe torrents..

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hush, the I&B ministry GESTAPO will arrest you for using the T word, and lock this site up.

You know about the piratebay, vimeo etc .. ?

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

By blocking a few sites they can't block the entire torrent concept...

7. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

well most of the sites are shut down(i know a few which arent)
    that album didnt have much seeds and peers when i checked it

8. sgt.misery

sgt.misery New Member

9. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

Andy James has got a unique style... It is wrong to say that his playing and guitar work is wholly inspired from the aforementioned players...
    He uses a lot of diminished 7th chords along with their minor/major counterparts. That is really unique about his style.

10. sgt.misery

sgt.misery New Member

I didnt say they were his inspiration plz read some of his interviews and chk out his youtube videos where various number of times he cites these people as his influence....I would be happy to provide links if you want....And as from being inspired from a particular player doesnt essentially mean you have to completely follow the scales and progression they use.....and plz lisen to "Scarified" by Paul Gilbert(when he was in racer x) where he uses a lot of diminished 7h arpeggios... And Andy Timmons in many of his instructional videos regarding his style displays diminished 7 chords....And as for that diminished scale runs(major/minor) are almost a regular part of neoclassical metal....

11. sgt.misery

sgt.misery New Member

And here is the link of his official site where he cites his influences....I hope you believe in its authenticity coz its the official site or I'll be providing video links too...
    Home | Andy James Guitarist

12. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

Inspiration for picking up a guitar and shredding the hell out of it is different from the inspiration of the type of songwriting... And its the latter I am talking about..

13. sgt.misery

sgt.misery New Member

Then its the former I am talking about... And at the same time even his songwriting is influenced by these guitarists as stated by him.... And does being inspired means you have to rip off exactly every kind of progression or scale variation that musician uses? Obviously you mix and mash various things you have learnt through out....And bring something of your own to create music... I think you need to reconsider your definition of inspiration.

14. Vader

Vader New Member

*MIND BLOWN*
    There is something wrong with the name Andy.
    somehow having the name andy makes you a superior guitarist and best at what you do in music
    Andy Summers
    Andy Timmons
    Andy James
    Andy Mckee