Analysis topic

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by horsesmouth, Sep 13, 2012.

1. wylder

wylder Member

So you are saying viruses are self-aware?

2. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Well, yes.
    Not surely about computer viruses, I said they are close to being called self aware, simply on the premises of being able to self-replicate and infect, dominate and sometimes destroy other hosts.

Why?

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually the whole concept of living vs non-living, self-aware vs programmed etc is fvcked up if you really peer through a microscope.

4. horsesmouth

Yes, to compare our lives with that of cellular-level organisms, which one should be called self aware?
    If a strand of pre-programmed RNA, simply supposed to live and replicate, enclosed in protein molecules could be called a self-aware virus, then why not a set of pre-programmed algorithms also supposed to replicate?
    In-fact computer viruses could be called superior in the sense that they can transmit/replicate over wireless media, across corners of the world, and can 'live' stored in semi-conductors. Only difference is that they infect non-living machines.

Anybody against?

5. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

A virus(biological or computer) is not self-aware because it cannot improvise. It cannot do anything other than its supposed to do.

6. horsesmouth

Are viruses living?

Well I guess you are atleast partly right, though I don't completely agree. They should be called living, if not completely self-aware. After-all they do live, even if their living state is dependent on a host, kind-of similar to creepers.

Speaking against my own opinion, I guess, their way of life is not very different from some 'complex' organic chemical.

7. wylder

wylder Member

I thought self-awareness is the ability of a system to recognize its individuality. How do either viruses qualify for this?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey hey, I think we are driving off track a bit ...
    I introduced that Self aware computer topic because it talked about artificial intelligence.
    Self awareness is one of the highest form of intelligence.

Most animals cannot even recognize themselves in the mirror.
    That speaks a tonne about their level of intelligence.

Now when we talk about self awareness of virus. No - it doesn't have any self awareness just in a way our white blood cells do not have any awareness. But when infection happens these white blood cells do fight the "outsiders". Are they "aware" or is it a program?
    Its a program. But when we agglomerate all such programs running inside a human body - the human being is suddenly labelled as self-aware.
    Are you sure this is being self aware? Or is it just a greater form of coordinated programming?

9. guitarplayer729

Our body is a greater form of coordinated programming.
    But we know that it is, unlike viruses, we know what to do when we face a certain situation.

10. horsesmouth

But I don't believe any other animal knows if its body is just an outcome of programmed behavior or something else. And unlike humans, they all use instincts for survival, which even includes killing their own kind for sufficiency of food. This instinct is also common to viruses.

So that means that only humans, and no other being is self aware?

11. horsesmouth

So everything boils down to instinct and pre-programming? But the human mind is much more than that, isn't it?

And does that mean that the only difference between computers and us is that our programming is too complex, almost accurately defined, and controls development of organic 'hardware'?

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Who knows, I just throw questions so that everyone starts doubting whatever they believe in.
    That has always been the path forward in human history ...

13. guitarplayer729

Our programming is complex and there are some more things to us like we have a tingling sense, we are curious, we are resistant or afraid.
    Computers aren't and I guess some things aren't just programming(or maybe they are).
    Animals are self aware, they know when to run away, when to hide, when they are perplexed, they find a way to do something(I know).
    Once I blocked a cow's path(don't laugh), and it found another way by going through the bushes that were alongside the road. Now doesn't this prove that they are self-aware.

14. horsesmouth

haha.. I know arguing against you and winning is nearly impossible. But what do you think of this again?

And does that mean that the only difference between computers and us is that our programming is too complex, almost accurately defined, and controls development of organic 'hardware'?

15. horsesmouth

Self awareness is more about a cognition of one's orientation in the world, a knowledge of one's purpose. That's why we aren't still self-aware, because we don't know why we are here, except a theoretical biological knowledge of predation and food-chains.

16. guitarplayer729

Then nobody is self-aware.

17. horsesmouth

...which takes us back to the question. How are we different, other than organisational complexity and social living, from lower animals, down to cellular level?

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

We are not.
    And there is no "soul" ...

I don't know.
    Perhaps the difference is because our brain has been programmed bottom-up (evolution from unicellular organism). Whereas we program our computers and machines top-down (program designed to achieve specific goals).

19. Ashyantony7

Ashyantony7 Performer

oh.. man.. humans vs machines.. Ok.. machines can't think like men because "we humans are not sure how we are able to think".. If we could find that out we would be able to replicate those to machines and so and so... try reading on neural networks.. :think: