AN Oscar, Is it Really Important?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by jijo, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jijo

jijo New Member

Given the reach of Indian Cinema. And yes the business and the return on investments that the indian movies get nowadays . We are, i am sure ahead of many Hollywood Products.
    WHy do we need to really get the attention of some Oscar Panel? Cant we not only have IIFA to bank on ?
    Friends, We understand our culture better than a hollywood bloke, for whom, two failed marraiges, three step brothers, four liveins and respect for only money is about a very normal thought process.
    They like India only in its rustic, old form etc etc.
    What do you think?
    Serious comments really Appreciated.

2. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

Not really important but winning one would let the westeners especially umricans know that there exists a thriving film industry near pakistan.

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

we are hungry for more and more praise/adulation/acknowledgement/appreciation

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Whoa!! Very ambitious statement.
    Ofcourse we are not. We do not even match the budget of a medium budgeted hollywood flick.

Maybe for you, not for me. Most of these awards are given to the top grossers. Public demand. Heck, even the so called jury is bribed.
    (e.g National award for best actor - Saif Ali Khan for Hum Tum)

Agreed. But, where is our culture shown in movies like Black, Kal Ho Na Ho, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna?
    Lets face it, Indian cinema is leagues behind...well...cinema in general. There is no neo-realism, the censor board is filled with retards and so is the industry. IMHO we lost the essence of cinema waayyyy back maybe after the Guru Dutt era. Around early 80s, some flicks did tried capturing the good elements of those flicks.
    Our movies these days have no class, they are bullshit technically and most of them are rip-offs termed by Indian movie makers as 'localised versions'. WTF?

Oscar is important only because of the category in which the film sent by us gets nominated.
    Other than that I prefer film festivals where movies can compete globally.

Garima likes this.
  5. shak

shak Harrr!

bollywood will get far more international exposure and potential investement due to this oscar, than it would get out of 50 years of localized hardwork.

Friends, We understand our culture better than a hollywood bloke, for whom, two failed marraiges, three step brothers, four liveins and respect for only money is about a very normal thought process.
    They like India only in its rustic, old form etc etc.
    What do you think?

how is the 'hollywood bloke' responsible for his three step brothers? lol only kiddin.

6. jijo

jijo New Member

I was not talking about budgets at all .....RETURN ON INVESTMENTS and trust me its substantially much higher than the regular Hollywood flicks that get made.

and asa far as indian awards are concerned they are mostly popular awards but then now we also have the critics awards which balances everything.
    and who can you bribe at IIFAs.

" Our Movies have no class", ...essense of cinema is lost...", "....technically bullshit..., which paper do you write for to qualify to make a statement like that? And how are you so technically sound to find faults with movies like Krissh ,Dhoom2 and others, do you know who was the technical director for Krissh?

Culture does not come from wearing ethnic clothes , culture can be seen in behavaiour,habits,language so by quoting a BLACK you cannot typecast other movies as foreign too.Anyways what kind of culture would you suggest Mera Naam Joker" had

So we have a lot of other film festivals that we can put our movies for competition including INDIAN festivals. but we should certainly not only depend on an Oscar for grades.

7. zing

zing Machine Head

u seem to refer to Indian cinema & Bollywood as the same whereas they r totally different - Indian cinema includes scores of talented regional & documentary film makers who have for years been neglected & deliberately sidelined by both the media & Bollywood itself. Bollywood is just a handful of family controlled networks trying to compensate for their obvious lack of intelligence and creativity with their ill gotten wealth & underworld/political muscle

cmon man u dont need to write for a paper to evaluate a goddamn movie - especially one made by a Bollywood idiot
    u r living in a dream world - every bollywood flick is "inspired" by hollywood/western cinema. Its nice to be patriotic but just making tall claims will not make them true....

the_wizard likes this.
  8. zing

zing Machine Head

The Grapes, Arent they Really Sour?

9. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

https://in.today.reuters.com/news/n...172104Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-283971-1.xml
    Read the last para.

Regarding return on Investments, throw crap at people for a while and they will get used to it. Exactly the reason why Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela and others are still earning.

Whats the difference between IIFA and Filmfare? We have the same winners in both the award functions.
    There are movies which have the capability of winning but get lost out when they are compared with the so called 'magnum opus' films.

e.g Movies like 'Sehar' losing out to Veer Zaara. (2005 IIFA awards)

IMO Dhoom 2 was the most horrible movie of last year.
    By technicalities I did not mean just the special effects.
    Check out the camera movements, how many fade-ins/fade-outs did the movies have? The so called best movie of this year 'Dor' itself did not have any.
    No one knows about extended cuts, dialogues are cliched and stunts (although brilliantly performed) are rip-offs. Zero originality.

Speaking of Dhoom 2, the performances were horrible.
    Abhishek is often caught mimicking his father during intense scenes and he CANNOT dance.
    Bipasha, over acting. The comedy scenes were horrendously shot.
    Hritik, brilliant dancer, I respect his ability to move his body in whatever way he wants. As as actor, he is strictly ok. His accent sucks, and he over-does it in every emo scene.
    Aish, no comments. She is simply cheap.

Edit: Uday Chopra should be sent to a zoo.

Regarding Krrish, it was a kiddy movie.
    The stunts were good no doubt, but wtf is with Krrish wearing a pyajama? (Plan 'b', parachute maybe, in case he loses his flying abilities)
    Flying abilities? He is running in the air if u observe closely. It just made me laugh.
    I dunno the technical director but the fight choreographer was some chinki fellow who did 'Shaolin Soccer' and 'House of Flying Daggers'. The martial arts were good though.

And I dont write for any paper. Those are just personal opinions. Take it or leave it.

When I said 'culture' I never meant wearing Indian ethnic clothes.
    When I said 'culture' I meant neo-realism.
    The French wave started by Godard is the perfect example of that.
    What the fancy looking sets and 'family' movies these days are giving the viewers? An imagery of every actor looking good supported by some crappy plot.
    I, as a viewer dont want to view it, and there are many more like me.
    Show us what actually happens in a household or for that matter the house of a upper-class family not just fake realities which is making the ignorants believe that everyone is happy at the top.
    We want more movies like 'Gaman' https://movies.aol.com/movie/gaman/1118339/synopsis and not 'Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna'.

And, FYI mera Naam Joker was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.

anshphenomenon and shsnawada like this.
  10. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

To even add to this thread after reading takla uncle's(wizzy) thorough analysis would be a redundancy. So i refrain and watch the pwnage.

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Filmfare FTW!
    We have enough bald people bronzed in this country. We don't need any more.

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

@Wizzy Oye Pyaancho kamaal kar diya maacho!

@topic .. I don't care if a movie wins an oscar or not coz its not the right way to judge the superiority of a movie.

13. shak

shak Harrr!

didnt even get a nomination, happy now?

14. jijo

jijo New Member

This is turning into a marathon. How i wish i had enuf time to write more . yes zing, I realised, Bollywood is not indian cinema just as Hollywood is not world cinema and perhaps thats what they realised and started respecting the cannes festival now . I still maintain that we do have our piculiarities making us much different than the hollywood. Our song dance sequences, our emotional point of viewing things and presenting them, its not being patriotic (which i am in all the ways ) but trying to not compare "oranges and apples". I fail to understand how would a foreigner understand why we do something that we do and how can he actually decide whats good and whats not. It took a lot of lobbying for Amir and team to get Lagaan nominated at the Oscars and much as i understand Amir dint have to bribe anybody at Indian festivals to get the Awards. he doesnt even attend these functions anyway.

And "throwing crap at the people" and them getting used to it ,
    NAH! Pictures are made according to what audiences are perceived to like and very rarely the other way round. Most "experiments" fail.

Kiddy movie"Krissh"-- well, yes , but money talks.

But Gaman, why not "Uski Roti", "albert pinto.." --Wizzy, I strongly feel that movies are not made to please crictics , its a medium of entertainment of the masses .
    @wizzy--"Aish, no comments. She is simply cheap."

"Edit: Uday Chopra should be sent to a zoo."
    LOLOLOLOL
    Yeah Ash didnt need to do all that , and Uday , well, its his family film. isnt it?

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

hmm

I said those were my personal views.
    The way I perceive a movie is different from yours (atleast I think that).

Its the art of story-telling and every story has a message.
    When you read a book its different. The author simple writes it down according to his imagination as a reader you read it and the picture projected in your mind might or might not be totally different from that of the author.
    Like say there is a chapter about a guy sitting in a coffee house and smoking and listening to someone. Not uttering a word. Its the other character who is doing all the talking.
    The talk is important as well as what in going on in the mind of the quite guy.

When you see a movie its different, its the imagination of the director, DOP, DOA, creative director and others who are trying to convey something either directly or through a metaphor. As a viewer my frequency fails to match that of some of these story tellers. I never thought that Steven Speilberg is a great director and have rated Jim Jarmusch over him on many occasions.

Anyway, I never even cared for the critics as well. Most of them are plain assholes to be frank. Cinema is not just a medium of entertainment for me. There are lots of things to be learnt and as my own critic I hope some film-makers to change their techniques in the next movie. Sadly it never happens.

16. jijo

jijo New Member

Wizzy, i think, i am understanding your point of view better, since explained well this time. I guess we both agree to disagree on a few issues ;) .
    Anyways, I still feel we do have an amazing amount of talent too, north to south, in every creative department of Film making and we deserve better recognition than what we get as fimlmakers. Sadly a lot of good movies dont actually come to the fore to get what they deserve in India itself.
    And most of the really intelligent fade into the oblivion.

the_wizard likes this.
  17. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Good, there is something we both agree on :beer:

[/peace]