AMPLIFIERs.. which one shud u go for

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by theblur, Sep 12, 2008.

1. theblur

theblur New Member

hi everybody.. so which amp shud i go for... my requirements are casual jammin and d amp shud also come in handy as a monitor for onstage performances. also.. d most important thing is paissa and LOUDNESS followed by quality. i don't think i'l b able to shell out more dan 5000 bucks for each amp. so here is wat i hav heard n i want ur opinion as to whether dis is correct or not..

1. first i decided upon a 10 watt to 15 watt marshall amp.. d vendors say its louder than most of d 40 watt amps out there.. like kustom and stranger
    so is this true...

2. den.. i zeroed in on kustom sounds 40 watt amp widout reverb.. its costin me around 4500.. so can anyone check n tell me whr can i get it real cheap (m from delhi, dwarka)

3. also.. i hav a bass n me n my drummer friend really hav a hard time bcoz we he can't hear wat m playin..its jst me on bass n guitars..so actually i need one for bass n one for guitar..we r playin d bass through a "PLAYMATE" amp.. it costs real cheap.. around 1000 bucks only. but no fun

so wat shud we buy.. help required.. aajtak achhe amp pe baja ke hi nahi dekha.. isiliye can't differ between a good amp n a poor one.

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

playmate??neva heard of it......sounds gay dude......

newayz strangers are fyn bt only da upper range of 80-100 watt is loud enough to auduble to an audience.... nd dey will range frm 7000 to 10000.......so its btter u go for a marshall.....

go to bhargava's in daryaganj dey can get u good deal..........

3. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

i suggest you go in for the marshall 15watt.....its really loud.....

4. max_payne16

max_payne16 New Member

marshall 15W rocks!!!!!!!!!

5. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Take the Marshall if you want to play good old hard rock.
    Unless.. you want to play any metal with a scooped sound.. it is very difficult to arrive at that. I just got a marshall for kicks, and its loud alright; but alas, a metallica tone is still out of reach.

6. angel_of_sin

^^^hell man......even metallica uses marshall amps.....check out da nothing else matters video.....though dese 15watts wnt give u da kick........

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I think most of metallica (earlier) albums were on the Mesa/Boogie amps..recently they have taken on some other amp, cant remember the name.
    I don't know about the Black album or the 'Nothing Else Matters'. I'm looking at a sound similar to Ride the Lightening/Master of Puppets.
    But definitely the higher end Marshall's can get the sound..I was only referring to the 15W.. n I know I cant get everything out of a 15W amp!!! I'm still trying to figure out if I can get the scoop from it to sound like anything on Master of Puppets.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK guys there is some confusion about Metallica.
    Metallica played with ADA-1 preamp into Marshall JCM800 power amps in Kill em all and Ride the Lightening.
    In Ride the lightening the experimented with some Tube screamer sort of boost before the Marshall distortion, that gives a more compressed tones.'

In Master of Puppets, they switched to Mesa Mark III (or was it Mark IV?) to get a tighter tone without using any boost pedal.

In Justice for all, they scooped their tones, adn removed bass from the final mix. (Poor Newsted).

In Metallica (also known as Black album) they got their mids back and gave superior metal tone.

Load and Reload saw more "rockish" tones with no scoop. Same Mesa Mark IV business.

Dunno about the recent two albums though.

In Nothin else matter - thats Black album era. Metallica was using Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp. They just kept Marshall cabinets for show off.

Anyone wants to know the real key to getting Metallica tone?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Thread starter, your choice of words "d most important thing is paissa and LOUDNESS followed by quality." leads you towards Stranger amp, or even better still PA system from Ahuja.

9. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

excellent info!!!
    :beer:

10. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

+1 to that
    Im looking for a PA myself
    What do those ahujas cost?
    i mean the ones of those heads not the combos.
    The combos suck they are for very low inputs, even clean guitars distort thru them.

11. theblur

theblur New Member

don't wander offtopic!!

okay.. so this goes for all of u.. alpha 1.. wise n comprehensive info on metallica tone n stuff... but jst a one liner for my query..bhai.. paissa is a problem.. n i want a lil more info on low end amps.. preferrably indian made.. coz dey don't burn a hole in d pocket...

waise.. dunno.. i heard it in some vendors shop... ahuja assembles d cabinets for marshall amps.. i don't know if d marshalls "speaker" is made in india or not.. but still unka haath toh hai.. marshall ki production mein... 8-|

12. angel_of_sin

yea man....all amps are produced in india only....only different labels are put on dem and sold for different prices.....except roland.....those things are imported......

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

stranger is also fine.

see the problem with cheap amp + speaker combo is that they won't color your guitar tone.
    this will result in your guitar sounding real fat and probably not as musical as you would hear others playing marshall etc.

and forget overdrive and distortion. you will have to buy separate stomp box or processor

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Your amp choice need to depend on your signal chain.
    If you are going guitar-amp-preamp out-PA
    You would want a genuine guitar amp like marshall or roland.
    But if you are using a processor-amp-PA, with the.amp.purely for monitoring
    youdont need a marshall. a stranger would be mre than enough

So
    If you want the.amp.to.colour your tone go for marshall/laney/roland
    But if you are planning to use processor for distortion and effets a stranger would be fine

16. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

True, me processor works out best when plugged into a Stranger amp. On the other hand, it just doesnt sound right when plugged into the Marshall, but that maybe cuz i havent yet fiddled with the combination extensively yet.
    Also, Roland is very good but on the expensive side.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ You should check that in Tech21 Tri-ac.
    sound like shyte when connected to Marshall, sounds great when plugged to line-in of the same amp.

(Anyway we'll check it with Stranger also sometime)

18. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I've heard of the Tri-A.C,. but have never managed to see one in Pune.

19. soundcheck

soundcheck New Member

guess its too late to reply here right??

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No.
    Information / knowledge doesn't require a specific forum to be disbursed.

So you can proceed here.