amp with distortion\overdrive?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambush, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

The marshal MG series all have an overdrive channel so you dont need a pedal immediately if you buy it. They are really decent, you can defenitely go for one.

3. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Yup, in the sub 5k range, the only good choice is the MG15/10CD.
    I find it to be quite good.It has decent cleans, low levels of overdrive are quite good,the EQ works well, and it has the very useful line out and headphone jacks.
    I briefly checked out a Roland cube 20(goes for above 6K and has 4 modelled distortions).Personally didnt like it.Sounded kinda muffled and overdrives sounded processed.The Marshall is more organic, IMO.
    I might be badly mistaken, coz I just plugged and played for 5 mins without working on the settings(stupid Reynolds guy was being a jerk:mad:) , and this amp usually gets rave reviews.

4. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I own Marshall MG15CD. Personally I feel, apart from its clean it really sucks. Though it doesn't sound as bad as i am trying to convince However, anything is better for a beginner. If you budget is around 5-6k you can get one. :)

Dont go for MG10CD, forget distortion even its clean drive sucks.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:p:
    The clean circuits of MG10CD and MG15CD are identical. (AFAIR even the overdrive circuits are also)
    The only difference comes because MG10CD uses 6" speakers.

But in any case in cleans you dont require the sound to be bassy, hence even small speakers will suffice.

6. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

the MG series are good indeed, especially if you can afford one of those celestion shod babies. Personally I'm partial to the Roland cube. Crystal clear and the sound doesn't disintergrate over time.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Marshall MG15 is an excellent amp. It has a decent clean sound and a killer overdrive. A really pro sounding, amazing overdrive. You should know how to tweak and how to play an overdrive kinda sound. I have seen 100 guys try to Metallica through a Keeley Modded BD2 and says BD2 sucks.. It's the player who sucks, who doesn't know what to play on what... I will prefer the Marshall MG over a Roland Cube anyday. For the price, value for money and Roland has a very artificial tone and colours the natural tone of the guitar. If that's what pleases you, then go ahead. I have seen this Peavey Transtube 15. It has a bad clean sound but the overdrive is mindblowing. I wish I can rip that overdrive circuit and make it to a pedal that I can use...

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Love those tiny fenders too. Didn't dig the OD that much but maybe it was the guitar. Reminds me of the only time i've realllly heard my guitar talk- through a Fender Super Reverb.... aaah, memories

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What about Fender Tweed?
    *blink blink*

10. sridhar11_2

Fender Tweed.......yah right , as if you can get one here. A Bassman would be awesome. I'd even settle for the pro or blues juniors. But my eye is on Riviera amps cause the guy in charge was ex-top fender amp designer and the amps has really good reviews but huge price tags.

The peavey Classic 50 0r even a 30 is what i'm eyeing. Its considerably cheaper than the high quality fenders but just as good.

The only Tweed copy amps you get here are ECMAN amps but Ronnie informed me that they have design flaws.

11. ronnieanand

Well.... I got this info from two guys who are into music heavily. I trust them and no personal experience with Ecman amps.

12. sridhar11_2

Thats cool. When i asked the guy about the flaw he never bothered to reply.

13. ronnieanand

That shows something is fishy... He should have defended himself at least.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

He is probably not bothered.
    Or maybe he might not be so enthusiastic about e-technology.
    Hence, no website.
    Hence, negligible email correspondence. (Ofcourse I presumed that Sridhar sent an email instead of snail mail.)

But actually what flaws are we talking about?

15. ronnieanand

It didn't have any inputs or outputs.

16. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

can anybody tell me how much the MG10 and 15 cubes cost
    can i get it for less than 4k
    Ebay is a bit pricy

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The price in Ebay is just.

MG10CD costs around 3.5K.
    The ebay d00d is no one but a shopkeeper. Check out other items hosted by him.

Ofcourse you can always bargain in a real shop.

18. toolhead

toolhead New Member

what about the marshall dsl 401 any one have any idea of its cost??? in india

19. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

One quick question.... What Guitar do you have???

It can cost you anything between 45000 - 65000 bucks. depends on how it was brought into the country by the guy/shop who sells it to ya.

20. red octane

red octane The shredzophenic!

marshall basic amps suck..though their clean sounds nice their"distortion" is not too distorted,it's okay if you play classic...but at times it's a little too light for that too..

Try roland If your on a 6k budget....and judging from your choice,you dont really want to use the amp for a gig etc...so get the micro cube,which is really good for the average bedroom rocker(i got one) :)...and you wont need a processor too...

Else get the cube-15..which is pretty okay too...