Amp Setting for a Marshall 10 W with inbuilt distortion

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Asmodeus, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hey all,
    The AMP in question here is a Marshall 10 W with inbuilt distortion, and it has knobs for tone, clear and overdrive...

The question::: What setting would give the best sound for IRON MAIDEN songs???

I've tried fiddling around with the Metal settings, but still haven't found the right sound... it's like, not Maidenish enough...

Alternative: Someone please tell me how to program the effect onto the Digitech RP 80 processor...

HELP!

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

is it MG10CD?

in that i found that the best setting is keeping the gain on 5 ... yes not on 10 ... this makes the sound grainy (gravel-ly) ... if u increase the gain further the tone becomes fine grained i.e. sand-y ...

anyway those are my perceptions ...

second is that contour ... maiden's rhythm never uses high mids ... so i used ta keep the contour less than 5 ...
    for most of the songs ... u could keep the contour as low as possibe (without sounding too thin) ....
    for some songs like Can I Play with madness - they have used considerably more mids ...
    so i keep the contour at 5 ...

for leads ... countour 5 works fine ...

3. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

how wiewrd....i got the same gears as yours.......but marshal 15cdr!
    i sugest for playing maiden......use processor.......use either the 11th effect or the 2nd effect!........to store new things just read the manual wid patience......ts all give n clearly in simple language!.......and when you play wid th processor on.....and if you want to get warren mendosa's guitar tone then,, put your amplifier to clean and in rp80...switch over to 1th effect.....and in your guitarm,, keep the vol high and tone to zero and another tone knob to mid/zero!
    .....and kindly dun mess around wid the 1st 40 effects!anywayz,, i will be getting a korg processor hopefuly by dec..!

4. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

the amplifier setting are given behind your marshal manual hopefully!if not take i tdown ::

distortion ::
    vol - full
    gain - full

equalizers::
    bass - full
    countour - 8
    treble - 2

--------------------------

clean ::
    vol - how much ever u desire

equalizer ::
    bass - half
    contour - 6
    treble - 4

there ......that shud do!

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Sorry to interrupt Asmodues....

@Rocking devil...i too have marshal mgcdr 15 watts with Reverb. anyways...am also experimenting with what setting should i make for the metal songs and other stuffs...

like when i try to play holy wars....the gain is too much on 6th string....the song sounds absoutely **** following the intro....i hope u understand.

Can somebody explain what the following things have effects.

Treble: ....?
    Contour: ....?
    Bass:....?

i mean...what are the best settings to be done for...

1) heavy metal
    2) rock
    3) blues
    etc....

i know ...things gonna change when i connect my GNX1 to it...;)

any kinda help will be appreciated. :)

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Me too looking for some settings for my month old mg15CD...can you really do heavy metal on it?..after putting the OD gain at 11'o clock, its pure mud....neways I got my rp-80 and a Rocktron Silver dragon now , so wont be using the mg15 OD :)..but good to know the settings just in case.
    @fictional..the manual gives some settings for different genres, tried them out?

generally for Metal: OD Gain:high
    Bass 7-8 types
    COntour 3 (i.e. scooped mids)
    Treble 6

Rock: OD gain: 3
    Bass: 7
    Contour 5
    Treble 5-6

Blues: OD gain: Min/no OD and clean volume high
    Bass 6
    Contour 5
    Treble 7

These are general settings for these genres..adjust parameters according to ypur guitar as wel as yout tastes...

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@fictional - man we igtians really missed u in cc lounge!

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

fictional n nebu ...

unless n until u wanna play death metal ... dont keep the gain on fulll - as u mustve raelised by now it makes the sound muddy n sandy ...

for that kinda genre u anyway need a pedal ...

for all the others genres ... MG can do well ...

i dunno about the settings given in the manual ...
    i follow my own ...

for blues rhythms ... u need a cripsy clear sound taht overdrives mildly ... so for that i keep the clean channel on full vol ...
    yeah that is tthe only way to get good Tweed drive ... (and bass on almost full)

for blues leads ... overdrive having just the sufficient gain to "break" the tone ...

for most of the rock n old school metal ... i would keep the gain from 4 to 7 ....

regarding the EQ -
    if u want more harsh sound ... increase treble

more tightness in the sound - or more roundness - increase the bass

fat sound - increase the mid

u want even better examples?

well then - check the album "kill 'em all" - compare seek n destroy n metal messiah - u will find taht the sound in metal messiah is very thin ...
    the amp used in both the cases are Marshall JCM800 ... the only diff is that Seek n Destroy is played with more mids ....

next chekout the albums MEtallica n Load ... in both the cases they used MEsa Boogie (i guess REctifier or Mark iV) - the sound in Load is fatter - courtesy more mids as well as more bass ...

now compare reload n S&M - sound n reload sounds more crisp n harsh than on S&M ... the treble in reload is kept mushc higher ...

St Anger they changed the amp - so cammot compare ...

checkout the Justice For all album - that is Mesa Boogie MArk III or IV with almost zero Mids ...

usually the rhythms have high bass (sounds good on palm muting) low mids n high treble (Again sounds good on PM) - the reason for keeping low mids is to not to compete with vocals ... (vocals usually have the frequencies we call as MIDs) ...

in lead u are kinda replacing the vocals so increase the mids ... u might increase the treble also if u want the "cutting" sound ...

9. fictional_real

@nebuchadnezzar .....thanks, i just checked the settings. However, when i try to play metal with very gain. Its like very muddy. When i play the 6th string (1st from the top) and then the 5th its like the sound of the 6th string totally dominates the other notes and makes them inaudible. So, i just compromise on gain but then its no fun. I got Ibanez S40dx with ZR tremolo and i am not sure if the settings are totally acccurate to make the guitar sound good. anyways, i haven't checked how my guitar roars when i plug in my digi GNX1. Am waiting for an adapter :(

@rocking devil.... Loads of jerks came man...if you are old enuff in IGT you might have got the idea why many of guys/gurls(who r my pals) left. IGT isn't the same man..anyways...are you from bombay?

@sslayer....thanx for the awesum piece of example, defenitely will check out. your reputation scared me for a sec ....;)

10. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@fictional - yup,, me from mumbai!

11. fictional_real

^^plz empty ur inboz as i was not able to send you PM.

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@slayer- i think that st. anger was played on a stranger ;)

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

u can send whatever pm now........its cleared!

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

How much does the MG10CD cost?

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

arnd 4000 bucks i guess

16. fictional_real

yeah, i got mg15cdr for 5.5k so i guess mg10 would be 5k at the MAX.